Central Illinois Kids Fishing Derby

As the new Central Region Coordinator, my first step into this opportunity is getting a kids fishing derby setup. I will be setting it up for a June date on either Bowen Lake in Washington or Eureka Lake in Eureka. I am new to this, so I was looking for some guidance as to want needs to be done. I am working on getting the fishing equipment now. I planned on putting it on under the Alliance name, unfortunately neither lake has smallmouth. Not a problem in my book as most kids don't care about the size or species, they just wanna touch a fish and scream! Haha Let's get this spearheaded with information guys and gals. All input greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dana, Tim U just did a post about a sign posting date in April and we could really use ISA signs downstate on the Mack and Vermillion etc. They have not been done in years (if ever). Would you consider a sign posting event before a kids derby? The sign posting is more in line with conservation etc. for us.

Yeah most definitely Jim. I think I will still do a fishing derby downstate, but there is no place I would feel safe taking young'ins that involves bronzebacks. Kids need to be comfortable on an outing and catch fish. My spots are dangerous and tough to fish in regards to smallies.

Now in reference to the sign postings. I feel like an April date would be great considering the regulations that everyone seems to read right by in the "fishing rule" book for Illinois. I know of a few great spots to post that I fish on a regular basis. I got phone numbers from Dave F. last night for the region. Will be working on getting phone calls in this weekend. If any central region guys/ladies see this, send me a pm as I may not have all the numbers. Need emails too if possible. Thanks.

There were sign posting on both the Vermillion and twice on the Mackinaw with the help

of Jonn Graham, Karl Crapse , Dave Franklin Doug Hettinger and Paul Tobeck and Steve Jordan.

Unfortunley the signs were gone before the summer was over.

Steve and Dave both served as Conservation Directors previously for the central region.

Paul tobeck

and Doug haven't been involved with the ISA since I became president around 9 or ten years ago.

Considering we post signs in other areas every couple o years I'd say we are due for some new ones down there.

Youre older than I thought