Personal Pontoon?

Terry Dodge

I've not used a 'toon but a floatube requires too much effort in moving water.Wouldn't that also be true of a 'toon using only fins thereby requiring constantly reaching for the oars even when just trying to hold your position? My guess is that most 'toon guys don't wear fins in moving water because what little benefit they provide is offset by not allowing getting out to also wade.

I don't use fins on the river. When I'm trying to hold my position in current, if it's shallow, I put my feet down or stand up. If it's too deep for that, I drop an anchor. Because the oars are attached to the craft in the oar locks, they are always easy to reach to give a push or pull to adjust which direction you'd like to point.

Guest airbornemike

I hated constantly blowing the thing up, worrying about air pressure, were all the tie down straps tite.....The set up was a PIA. A bunch of guys use them in DRIFT when they go down to the White river. Every craft has its place, toons (catarafts) were developed for rocky, high gradiant, western style rivers, that's were they excell. If some one can adapt them for another use than more power to ya ;)

I hated constantly blowing the thing up, worrying about air pressure, were all the tie down straps tite.....The set up was a PIA. A bunch of guys use them in DRIFT when they go down to the White river. Every craft has its place, toons (catarafts) were developed for rocky, high gradiant, western style rivers, that's were they excell. If some one can adapt them for another use than more power to ya ;)

1) Keep the 'toon partcially blown up at all times.

2) Air pressure is not a problem if the 'toon remains in the water. The water will keep it cool and safe from heat expansion.

3) If the 'toon is kept inflated then the straps should not be a problem.

4)I can only speak of my 'toon. *Set-up from out of the box...........15 minutes.

* See step #1. Set-up about 7 minutes.