Inspiration for a fly that will likely scare off most fish

Rob G

• 4 weeks later...

Well Albert is gone. I guess he only gets a small statue outside Busch now and not a big one like Stan the Man (who was a Redbird for life). Albert said he and his wife were praying very diligently as to what contract to take, apparently the good Lord saw it fit that he end up with his Angels : )

Oh and I guess God also wanted him to go after the BIG MONEY. Can any human being be worth 26 million a year for 10 years? :blink: Guess that now frees up a lot of cash for the Cardinals to use to shore up their lineup. Next question, when Albert goes into the Hall of Fame, will he go in as a Redbird or Angel. Hmmm, guess time will tell.

I hate to see Albert go,but it's not the end of the world for the redbirds. As you say, more money to shore up an already good, fairly young, team. Berkman and first base have always gotten along. The outfield should be solid with Craig out there. That extra cash could help solidify the pitching staff. I can still see the birds being a contender even with the two big changes.

• 2 months later...

Not to throw water on the Cardinal's (playoff) success(were I a fan I'd be celebrating too)but this is the 2nd time in the last few years that they've won the championship despite clearly being inferior to the other playoff entrants.The trend over the last few decades of allowing inferior "wild card"teams into the post season in baseball & football along with almost everybody in hockey & basketball has rendered the regular seasons in professional sports largely meaningless.

Hey Ronk,

looks like the MLB is going to dilute the playoffs even further by adding yet another wild card team. It's all about the money baby! It should be like hockey before too long and 162 season games will come to mean little.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7638357/mlb-expand-playoffs-two-teams-10

• 7 months later...