So what's your go-to fly rod and gear?

Rob G

Rob G: The grip is a Struble modified wells that I turned down a bit further in the rear to match the diameter of the down locking Lemke seat. But you are correct that it does resemble an older Fenwick style grip/seat.

I just started working on a 7'10" 3pc. 3/4 wt. F.H. Paddock Lemon Drop blank. I think I am going to use the Lemke down locking blued nickel silver seat w/ebony insert shown below and the granger green YLI silk thread wraps. I am going to try tipping my wraps with a dark red or maroon YLI silk. It should turn out to be a slick looking rod when finished.

PA170007.jpg

PA170006.jpg

Colt,

that should look great. As I was always told by the old timers when I first started building rods, you can't go wrong with garnet thread! I think that lemon drop would look great with an antiqued cork using several coats of Tru-oil but I realize many don't care for that look or feel.

Mike,

looking forward to getting my hands on a Bvk rod but those blanks are more costly than the TiCr's. I played around with several TiCrX blanks but they were way too stiff and powerful for their rated weights IMHO. The Axiom blanks according to their specs seemed quite a bit heavier than many comparable blanks and so they never really interested me. I have built on several of the Pro models for both myself and others and feel that they are a true moderate fast blank in the 4 thru 6 weights with being slightly faster in taper than many other blanks, all of which are labled "moderate fast" these days. The 7 wts and up in the Pro series are supposedly based on an entirely different taper so I was told and they are definitely slower than the 4-6 wts of the same series. I personally found the TiCr's kind of fell in between and really liked them so if they are being discontinued, I'll probably stock up.

I'm a big fan of casting big flies, but not necesarly waited very heavy. My go to rod is a 8 wt. usually but have used a 6 wt. and a 7 wt. . I'm always looking for different lines to try more than rods. On my 8 wt. I use a Rio verstip, with the intermetate and type 3 head I use a lot.For my 7 wt. I have a few different lines I use floater to a Teeny sink tip and ful sinking lnes. the 6 wt. a TT and a Mastery with a 12' type 3 sink tip. What I use depends on water conditions and type of flies I will be using, not a big fan of casting a lot of weighted flies unless I have to. I would much rather use a weighted line and a unweighted streamer. Carl