What to do?

Drove by Kilbuck Creek today (8/13/11) and had to stop and take a picture of this.................

002-16.jpg

The Kilbuck use to run clear this time of year up until two years ago. What I saw today makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. I know that I have brought this up before.

There is a quarry that is draining into the creek and supposedly they have a permit to do so. I refuse to believe that a quarry can get a permit to totally destroy a once beautiful and clear running creek like it has been destroyed over the last couple of years.

Is it possibly that I can get a permit to go onto the grounds of this quarry and see what it is exactly they are doing? Should I contact the IDNR? When the IDNR was there in July they had mentioned that the creek had looked extremely polluted. Is it just a waiting game at this point to see what the IDNR water samples say compared to the samples they took a few years ago?

This really pees me off!

During he shocking back in July, Kilbuck turned up the widest variety and the largest amount of fish of all the locations shocked in Winnebago Co., including the Kish. I guess that's good but it's hard to believe that anything can survive much longer if this keeps up.

I think the EPA and/or the Winnegago County Soil and Water Consevation District would be interested in this. When I get to work on Monday I'll dig up some contacts and get back to you.

I don't know a lot about this but my experience is that the IEPA is way more powerful than the DNR when it comes to pollution issues.

That's who I would go to.

Who told you they had a permit?

Terry,

Unlike the Apple which is threatened, it seems Kilbuck is under attack. It is good to see Jude on the case here since he is involved in water professionally so to speak. The EPA jumped to my mind immediately since they have been a good part of the reason why Rivers like the Dupage, Fox, and Rock are much cleaner than they were 50 years ago. But I would be in denial if I did not point out that the EPA is under fire from conservatives in Washington to limit its enforcement powers and cut its funding. You know the song, "All this regulating is hurtin' the small businessman and costs too much money." It is called the Tea Party Blues sometimes.

To be more positive. Something as ugly as what you are showing us needs attention. Even a hobbled EPA should be able to do something about it. Also there may be some local environmental groups that would take this up. Maybe Jude can point out 1 or 2. As a Winnebago Co resident, I sure would hate to see Kilbuck permanently trashed. Since part of the Kish and Rock are affected by it, it is not an isolated problem.

Please keep us posted on this.

Paul - It seems like there are breaks but the clarity of the water has gone way the heck down from what it was 2 1/2 - 3 years ago.

The 'buck has been extremely stained all summer long. I should note that the time of the picture was @ 4pm on a Saturday.

Another concern that I am starting to have with this is that there is another very similar company that has popped up within the last couple of years

on the south branch of this Kish and I would sure hate to see this same thing start happening a few years down the road.

Follow the Kish on a google map from Dekalb to Rockford, you'll see it. It's only a few feet away from the Kish and it looks to be pretty big.

I stopped down today and took a look and now it looks nothing like it did in the picture. It's still stained but nothing like it was yesterday.

I think I'll start making visits to Kilbuck on Saturdays and see if this is a once a week thing or a once a month thing.

I took a few pictures on Saturday when this event was happening. There was one picture in particular that I thought just did not turn out.

Here it is..............

001-32.jpg

I couldn't remember at the time of my original post what this picture was so I didn't post it thinking that what ever it was got bleached out by the

sun reflecting back off the water.

Today I remembered what I took a shot of and up-loaded the picture to Photo Bucket in an attempt to clear it up.

This is what I got

Caution - This may be shocking..................

001-32-1.jpg

Now you have a feel of how I felt yesterday.

This is a shot that I used my zoom on to try and capture the rolling cloud like staining that was going on.

The two pictures above are the same. Check the twigs and other stuff that is floating in the water.

I wish I would have shot some video of this.

A bit off the topic but a lot of ISA folks continue to promote waders (or hip boots) even if the summer. Some people downstream when some of dissipates might wet wade thinking this is a nice small summer creek.

As you can see, getting in the water without waders can be a bit risky no matter where you are.

A bit off the topic but a lot of ISA folks continue to promote waders (or hip boots) even if the summer. Some people downstream when some of dissipates might wet wade thinking this is a nice small summer creek.

As you can see, getting in the water without waders can be a bit risky no matter where you are.

About as risky as getting heat stroke clomping around in waders on a humid 90+ degree day which carries a 100% risk of being uncomfortable at the very least.As yukky looking as that stuff was if it wasn't toxic enuf to cause a fish kill I don't see it posing a threat to humans.

• 2 weeks later...

UP-DATE (in a nut shell)

I contacted the Illinois EPA and they checked it out and and called me back to say thanks for bringing this to their attention.

They hit the quarry site on Friday, Aug. 26 and slapped a few violations on the company that owns the quarry. They told the quarry operators

to stop what they were doing right away and to fix the problem and also told them NOT to wait until they get the notice in the mail before begining

to correct all violations.

It all sounds good to me but I'll be sure to keep checking out the Kilbuck to see if there is any improvment.

Yes great.

I have pushed the iepa many times on these boards and it seems to sometimes fall on deaf ears. I don't get it. Guys post problems and get specific things to do and don't do it. But they sure are fast to complain about problems and beuracracy ( sp). No one wants water pollution and look how fast they responded. Within days.

Thanks Terry. I've been fishing the Kilbuck for the past few years and have noticed a change in the water clarity/quality. Thanks for taking the initiative to get things corrected. I hope your efforts make a difference.

Thanks! I have to admit that it is a pretty good feeling but I don't want to get too happy until she is running as clear as she was in the summer of 2009.

Until that day I'll just keep working on my new Creek Dance.

Good work Terry!

I can't wait to see the video of your new Creek Dance.