Kishwaukee Float Trip

Went out this morning catfishing with a buddy from work and instead of just sitting there watching the tip of my rod I also started casting for smallies with another rod and nailed two nice size smallies with a Hula Popper. So Jude, feel free tobring you Chug-a-bug (or whatever the heck you call it) along.

No cats.

Here are a few picture I snapped of the Kishwaukee float trip. Jude will post a report.

Tim learning to fish from a yak

001-26.jpg

Jude and Tim leading the way

003-12.jpg

Approaching the BCCD/ISA stream-barbs

008-4.jpg

Tim and his catch with Jude and Paul

010-3.jpg

The gang

011-3.jpg

Kishwaukee River pot-hole......

http://youtu.be/OuIc6glUIyY

It's all yours, Jude..............

I guess it only makes sense that Terry would hand off the report writing duty to someone who actually caught fish. Here goes...

Meat Slab: We met up for the usual greasy breakfast at the usual greasy spoon cafe. The cast included Terry, Paul Sweich, Tim U, and me. The bicuits and gravy were as good as ever. Paul's slab o' ham was the size of one of those small phone books. Small for a phone book, pretty dang big for a piece of breakfast meat. Conversations about the weather and river conditions tempted me to expect a stellar trip. Finally, the stars were aligned for a successful Kish outing.

Good Omen Gone Bad: After breakfast, the Chinese firedrill/shuttle shuffle was performed and we were ready to go. While waiting for the other guys to rig up at the put-in, I cast my Chug Bug to the opposite rocky bank and had my first smallie of the day before even putting the Tarpon in the water. Yep...it was gonna be a great day! After I established the pattern for the day within three casts, Paul and Terry put on their favorite poppers. Tim wasn't so easy to fool. He has some strange affinity for spinner baits, and if I remember correctly, that's all he threw the entire trip.

Killer Stream Barbs: The water was still a little high, and I was concerned about the current around our newly installed stream barbs. With good reason. Sure enough, one of the barbs reached out and grabbed Paul's yak and sent him swimming. Luckily, Terry was near enough in his pontoon to give him something to hang on to and try to guide him to shallower water. Easier said than done. The barbs are supposed to push the current out to the center of the channel, and that's just what they did. The only option was for Paul to just hang on and ride it out until he made it to a spot he could stand up in. That spot happened to be under a "No Swimming" sign at Distillery Park. He survived, but his two rod/reel combos didn't.

Deer Crossing: After the commotion of Paul's near death experience we heard a huge splash. Just downstream of us a small deer was high-tailing it across the river. I figure it saw the initiation we had just put Paul through and wanted no part of it. We also saw a mink, orioles, and I think I spotted a scarlet tanager. Didn't spot many fish.

Obligatory Wrap-up Paragraph: No, it was not a great day fish-wise. I ended up with six, all on the Chug bug, the biggest being 16". Tim caught three or four on a spinner bait, one of which was almost 16". Not quite 16", but almost. Terry caught a stink weasel and sunburn. Paul got a polecat. Terry proved to me that a pontoon is a viable river fishing rig. He had no problem keeping up with the yaks, even against the wind. Of course, it was a great time and I really enjoyed the trip. The fish may not have cooperated, but the weather sure did. Oh...after the last pic on Terry's post, the Swami broke out in one of those Russian kick-dance numbers.

. Oh...after the last pic on Terry's post, the Swami broke out in one of those Russian kick-dance numbers.

Not!

I was just angrily stomping back to my 'toon because Jude wouldn't rub any of Tim's sun-screen on my legs.

Man, I'm still sore from paddling against the wind. I had a great time. I'm happy to say that the stream barbs the ISA installed passed inspection under some VERY CLOSE scrutiny. :P

I have a nice picture of Tim with one of his fish, but I've been too busy to post it. Maybe after the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to hear from you guys. I'd love to see a pic of your pontoon Terry if you have one. I will make it out on a Kish float trip or 5 this year I promise. Just wading the river has been pretty good to me so far.

I like it. I like the fact that I can float to an area that I want to wade and just stand right up. Don't have to worry about crawling out of anything.

I've had it 4 years now and have never had a problem. It's not the greatest thing to float and fish out of and you for-sure can't even think about heading up stream but as far as using it on the Kish to reach an area to wade, it's good. Paul was hanging on the right front of it after he flipped his yak and I was never worried about the 'toon flipping. Very stable. TimU liked how much crap I could load on it.

canoetrip002-1.jpg