? 4 Fly Guys.......

Terry Dodge

I tested it for Rio also last summer. I have to say that it is probably the best all around Smallmouth line out there. We now have them in the shop if your looking for one. All of our guide rods will be lined with it this coming season. Hope that helps. If you have any other questions on the line feel free to give us a call.

Kip Vieth

Wildwood Float Trips

Monticello, MN

On the banks of the Upper Mississippi

612-723-7438

I have it in the seven weight size. LOVE IT!! The two tone color is great. Don't know why all companies don't make the head of the line a different color than the rest of the line. Really handy.

I have an 8 wt Climax line that features a 1/2" colored mark where the head ends. The two toned line sounds a lot better since it is much easier to see the transition than the small mark on my line.

BTW, Lefty sez, "Put a nail knot at the spot where the front taper meets the running line so you can feel where the spot is." I will be trying that this season. Since I tend to keep my eyes on the water from long habit, I can feel the spot instead of having to look for it.

It reminds me of the metered lines than change color every so many feet so trollers know how much line they have out. It makes senses for a lot of fishing applications though I suspect there is an extra cost to make two toned and multi-colored lines.

Distinguishing the running line/head is nothing new.Several decades ago Sci Anglers incorporated a bump into the line they called telecast for that purpose.It didn't catch on.It's ez enuf to do that with any flyline with a magic marker if you wish.Personally,I simply glance at the line as I'm nearing the end of each strip.It's ez to see with a glance the point where the line gets thicker as it enters the guides.I think the main purpose of all these species specific flylines is to separate gullible ffers from their $.What's next, a perch flyline for the lakefront guys? All that's needed is a good quality all purpose weight forward flyline whether it be a Rio,Clouser,Sci Anglers,Corttland Wulff,Air Flo etc.For pure castibility my favorite is the Wulff Triangle which is what I'd use for trout fishing which requires more delicate tippets.For hardmouthed warmwater species Air Flo has the unique advantage of having no line stretch which presumably results in better hooksets with stronger tippets.

PS Speaking from my experience last week any of you guys looking for a good guide for smb or driftless trout should contact Kip from Wildwood posted above.

It's the roughly the same price point as a Clouser line, so thought it would be worth the test. Besides, it has a picture of a smallmouth on the box, so it must work, right?

;) Gullible Steve

Gave the new 6 wt with the Smallmouth line a quick tryout after work. It was my first time out with a fly rod this year!

Just did a little bank hopping and couldn't really wind up much with all the trees and brush. I was anxious to try out some Tullis Wiggle Bugs I picked up from Tight Lines recently and I think this fly will be a winner this season! Ended up with just a couple dinks but at least I got the new rod jinx off!

Wait for it.....

Looks like a good line for short casts with heavy bugs...but I usually go with a line like the SA XXD or Rio Gold Tournament..they have longer heads so there allot better for distance & roll casting....not sure if distance matters on most IL waters, but a little extra distance can make heck of a difference on the clear streams here in the Missouri Ozarks. Cheers.

....not sure if distance matters on most IL waters, but a little extra distance can make heck of a difference on the clear streams here in the Missouri Ozarks. Cheers.

I fish a lot of bigger waters and at times distance matters to me. It also comes into play when your fishing partner is a gear guy and is always hitting the spots before you can get to them! :lol:

Whine, whine, whine......

Can't wait to try the line out again, this time more extensively and on bigger waters.