Extinction of Fly Fishing

mattyvac

Take a deep breath, Ron. What is the right price for a one week New Zealand trout fishing trip first class all the way, plane, accomodations, meals, guide service, and access to prime water in prime season?

The average cost of an "exotic" 1 week ffing trip is about $5-6000 per The Fly Shop's catalog with some such as bonefishing in the Bahamas or Mexico for about half as much.Everything except airfare & guide tip is included.The few trips offering a daily flyout option would cost extra.Big $ to be sure but a might less than your preposterous quote.The New Zealand trip is $5950.

Re yet another of your dubious claims in the "Pontoons" topic how did those many drownings you claim took place in Dupage Cty lakes occur given the historic ban on swimming,wading & inflatable watercraft? Those rowboats,canoes,& yaks must be real deathtraps.

It's you who needs to take a deep breath before profferring a post to ask yourself if you know what you're talking about.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

United airlines first class round trip from ORD to Christ Church New Zealand is Approximately 16,000 to 18,000 USD. So does 20 to 30 K USD sound unreasonable.

United airlines first class round trip from ORD to Christ Church New Zealand is Approximately 16,000 to 18,000 USD. So does 20 to 30 K USD sound unreasonable.

mike, it's more like $2,000. it use to be close to 4. it's actually come down. timothy

That 2 grand for a ticket is an economy seat, not first class. On Orbitz, a first class ticket goes from $13,700 to over $28,000 for 1 ticket for the Chicago to Auckland flight

i checked again and you are right. i wonder who flys first class besides mel gibson?!

mike, it's more like $2,000. it use to be close to 4. it's actually come down. timothy

All I can say is that I hit the United site twice this afternoon and that was the range for first class round trip to Christchurch.

That 2 grand for a ticket is an economy seat, not first class. On Orbitz, a first class ticket goes from $13,700 to over $28,000 for 1 ticket for the Chicago to Auckland flight

The actual cost of this trip for anyone choosing to fly 1st class such as Mike G would be well over $250,000 after the derigeur purchase of a Bentley Continental to drive to the airport approaching $1.5 million if one indulged himself with a Bugatti Veyron.Flying economy instead would bring the trip cost to about $8000 leaving you with $12000-22000 in change as opposed to his quoted cost of $25-30000 whereupon you could drive your Chevie to the nearest jeweler for a Rolex & than over to Orvis for a $2000 ffing outfit to replace the one consisting of a wonderod/leveline/tin can that MG claims he recently had so much fun with.

PS There are any # of "exotic" ffing destinations(Mexico,Central America,Alaska,British Colombia,Newfoundland,Labrador etc.)without the extreme airfare cost leaving even more in change to say nothing of some in our good ole mundane USA that you could even drive to.

Hey, here's an idea. Have some regional ff clinics. Show how to do it and how to get started. I know I could use to know how to cast properly and I have no idea what I do after my fly lands. In spite of that, I bought a Pflueger starter outfit at Dick's last fall for maybe 80 bucks. Had an 8' three-piece 5-6 wt rod, a one-speed aluminum reel with drag, backing, line, leader material, a couple of flies and some instructions.Not much of an investment. Could open it up to the public as a way to foster interest. If it's successful, take it on the road. Do clinics at scout camps, summer camps, anywhere.

Hey, here's an idea. Have some regional ff clinics. Show how to do it and how to get started. I know I could use to know how to cast properly and I have no idea what I do after my fly lands. In spite of that, I bought a Pflueger starter outfit at Dick's last fall for maybe 80 bucks. Had an 8' three-piece 5-6 wt rod, a one-speed aluminum reel with drag, backing, line, leader material, a couple of flies and some instructions.Not much of an investment. Could open it up to the public as a way to foster interest. If it's successful, take it on the road. Do clinics at scout camps, summer camps, anywhere.

Both the Orvis store in Lombard & the one in downtown Chgo are conducting them currently.Call either for dates/times.I'll be helping out at the Lombard store for the one in July.

Instead of talking in circles about exotic trips no one will ever go on, those truly concerned about the extinction of fly fishing should get out on the water and practice it. There are plenty of opportunities to fish locally.

On the money, Eric. I went fishing this morning about a mile from my house. I cudda walked to the lake to save $ for gas but I drove :-(. I used my Martin soup can reel and a level D Wt line on a Wonderod my cousin gave me about 40 years ago. Had some fun with Crappies. I had my casting rod along but never got to it.

I guess the point is that the image of fly fishing as an expensive, demanding technique is false.

But I still want to go to South America to fish for Peacock Bass. :rolleyes: Wanna come? Business class?

On the money, Eric. I went fishing this morning about a mile from my house. I cudda walked to the lake to save $ for gas but I drove :-(. I used my Martin soup can reel and a level D Wt line on a Wonderod my cousin gave me about 40 years ago. Had some fun with Crappies. I had my casting rod along but never got to it.

I guess the point is that the image of fly fishing as an expensive, demanding technique is false.

This adds a picture to the story.

DSCF0181.jpg

Terry Dodge,

Your endorsement of the Cortland outfit is right in line with the theme. it is one more reason to like Brad Miller, in a Platonic way of course.

I would think that you could fish every day on a different stream here in the United States for the rest of your life and never finish all we have to offer. We have so much here to offer that I see no reason to spend hard earned money going to some exotic place that says they are better then what we have here. Just look at what you have in Illinois with regards to Rivers and Creeks and the quality of these waters. They should be coming here to fish not us going there.

I would think that you could fish every day on a different stream here in the United States for the rest of your life and never finish all we have to offer. We have so much here to offer that I see no reason to spend hard earned money going to some exotic place that says they are better then what we have here. Just look at what you have in Illinois with regards to Rivers and Creeks and the quality of these waters. They should be coming here to fish not us going there.

Amen, Gary!

You should be writing articles for the FF magazines that feature Chile, Brazil, New Zealand, Austria, and Manchuria in their offerings.

[/quoteary

People from those exotic places do come to Illinois all the time. To see its world class city.As for its fishing all you have to do is read Scott's vacation post to see why nobody from even neighbors Mich. or Wis. let alone those places should come here.

This adds a picture to the story.

DSCF0181.jpg

Terry Dodge,

Your endorsement of the Cortland outfit is right in line with the theme. it is one more reason to like Brad Miller, in a Platonic way of course.

Whatever happened to that guy who used to proudly post pics of rockbass he caught ffing? B)