New ride

Guest airbornemike

Guest airbornemike

I purchased my first ever kayak, well sort of a kayak, its actually a "hybred". Picked it up last month as a demo model up at Paddel and Trail in Rockford, these guys were the only paddle shop close that carried fishing kayaks and was knowledgable about them. I chose the Commander140 made by Wilderness, its 14' with a double pontoon bottom for stability, but has a nice keel on it to keep it straight when paddeling. Here's the specs on it http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/products/angler/Commander_angler/commander_140_angler/ and a few pics of my first paddle with it. For now all I can say is this thing is way faster than my canoe, and I can stand and cast a fly rod.

post-624-0-27063500-1302148715_thumb.jpgpost-624-0-46672600-1302148882_thumb.jpgpost-624-0-25404400-1302148789_thumb.jpgpost-624-0-09808800-1302148926_thumb.jpgpost-624-0-31807100-1302148816_thumb.jpgpost-624-0-26560000-1302148772_thumb.jpgpost-624-0-98998600-1302148859_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-25361900-1302148903_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Neat. I just visited the Paddle and Trail this week myself with the same idea in mind.

I am torn between the Wilderness Commander 120 Angler and the Native Watercraft Ultimate 120 Angler. Both very similar and both support standing.

What made you pull the trigger on the Commander? Have you had it out yet?

Hopefully I will have something by month end.

Guest airbornemike

I'm going to be paddling larger water mostly, IE the Fox, impoundments and lakes....the commander is 14'x30.5" wide the coosa is 11'3"x31.5" giving the commander better speed and tracking, which was what I was looking for. The Coosa is a perfect "down river" river yak, made for rivers like the dupage, Apple......I need one of those too :rolleyes:

Looks like a great boat. I have to ask......................what made you decide on this boat over the Coosa? Keep in mind, I am just asking.

Guest airbornemike

Ask the boys over at paddle n trail to let you test paddle both, they have the lake right there.

I've paddled it twice now and really dig it, I've yet to get it on the river, soon as they drop I'll be testing it out.

Neat. I just visited the Paddle and Trail this week myself with the same idea in mind.

I am torn between the Wilderness Commander 120 Angler and the Native Watercraft Ultimate 120 Angler. Both very similar and both support standing.

What made you pull the trigger on the Commander? Have you had it out yet?

Hopefully I will have something by month end.

Guest airbornemike

Most of the guys paddling commanders ditch the seat, they paddle and fish from the elevated Seating Area, but it is very comfy.

Very nice.

Seat looks very comfortable and I like the rubber grips on the handle.