Intrigued by Kelly Galloup's flies

Ever since I started tying and fly fishing, I have always been intriged by some of Kelly Galloup's patterns. First and foremost, I like the fact that most of his patterns are BIG! Especially large when you consider that most of his patterns were developed to catch trout out west. In addition, most of his stuff is unique and involves materials that I have yet to play with. Since his streamers are rather large, I have always felt that some of his patterns have to be alluring to my local smallies.

The past few months I have messed with his circus peanut pattern, his sex dungeon pattern, and his Butt Monkey pattern. While they all came out ok, I think the Butt Monkey pattern is my best work.

2ueo135.jpg

676slx.jpg

s1ov8n.jpg

2806p8y.jpg

Two out of the three above flies are weighted with medium dumbbells and the other is weighted internally with wire. I know these flys won't be thrown with the five weight. I am sure my 7 weight VT2 and my Sage Smallmouth rod will throw them without a problem. I am planning on working these deep right along the river floor. Imitating a sculpin, madtom, minnow, or whatever else the river smallie might think it is. Should be a decent fly for stained water, as the wool head should "push" some water.

I will keep you posted.

Kelly Gallop has the big streamer/big fish thing dialed in & has been at it a long time. Get his DVD on streamer fishing for big fish & you will learn alot. I recently saw him speak at Dick's in Schaumburg on this topic & he has added to the flies & techniques in the last couple of years. By the way he started in northern lower michigan & readily uses the flies for bass, pike ect.as well as big trout.

His show is pretty awesome too and is not just geared to trout. He also has segments on river techniques that is informative. I was going to check out his Bank Robber line of rods he designs for St. Croix.

I also like the BIG patterns he ties and the way he thinks out of the box. I used the Sex Dungeon pattern up on the Menominee. The Tight Lines guide I floated with cuts the back hook off, still leaving the articulated section on.

Nice tying Jonn. I was really lazy this winter and didn't tie a thing.

Ever since I started tying and fly fishing, I have always been intriged by some of Kelly Galloup's patterns. First and foremost, I like the fact that most of his patterns are BIG! Especially large when you consider that most of his patterns were developed to catch trout out west. In addition, most of his stuff is unique and involves materials that I have yet to play with. Since his streamers are rather large, I have always felt that some of his patterns have to be alluring to my local smallies.

The past few months I have messed with his circus peanut pattern, his sex dungeon pattern, and his Butt Monkey pattern. While they all came out ok, I think the Butt Monkey pattern is my best work.

2ueo135.jpg

676slx.jpg

s1ov8n.jpg

2806p8y.jpg

Two out of the three above flies are weighted with medium dumbbells and the other is weighted internally with wire. I know these flys won't be thrown with the five weight. I am sure my 7 weight VT2 and my Sage Smallmouth rod will throw them without a problem. I am planning on working these deep right along the river floor. Imitating a sculpin, madtom, minnow, or whatever else the river smallie might think it is. Should be a decent fly for stained water, as the wool head should "push" some water.

I will keep you posted.

John, very cool! I've used a couple of his articulated streamers and caught some nice browns, but hadn't thought to use them on smallies ... sounds like a winner to me!

2ueo135.jpg

676slx.jpg

s1ov8n.jpg

2806p8y.jpg

I will keep you posted.

Hey John,

Have you looked at any of Kelly Neuman's flies? I think that some of them might be a little too, shall we say, aggressive for smallies, but the big browns like to chase them, and I can't wait to throw them at Largemouth this summer. I don't think that most of them would be that tough to tie up. You'd just have to have the right hooks and materials. Here's a link if you wanna check them out:

Michigan Streamside

Hey John,

Have you looked at any of Kelly Neuman's flies? I think that some of them might be a little too, shall we say, aggressive for smallies, but the big browns like to chase them, and I can't wait to throw them at Largemouth this summer. I don't think that most of them would be that tough to tie up. You'd just have to have the right hooks and materials. Here's a link if you wanna check them out:

Michigan Streamside

Thanks for putting that link up!

Thanks for putting that link up!

You like that? They are some pretty amazing BIG bugs. I'm not sure what other fish species would do with them, but the big Browns on The White RIver in Arkansas were pretty intrigued by some of these patterns. I've become a believer, but I did learn that the average 7 or 8 weight will not throw them.

You like that? They are some pretty amazing BIG bugs. I'm not sure what other fish species would do with them, but the big Browns on The White RIver in Arkansas were pretty intrigued by some of these patterns. I've become a believer, but I did learn that the average 7 or 8 weight will not throw them.

It would be pointless to design freshwater flies that required rods heavier than 7 or 8wts.A good dubl haul will cast these flies nicely with a rod as light as a 6.

It would be pointless to design freshwater flies that required rods heavier than 7 or 8wts.A good dubl haul will cast these flies nicely with a rod as light as a 6.

My casting must leave quite a bit to be desired then, because I had a tough time managing these big bugs and 250 grain line with what St. Croix is calling the best streamer rod available in a 6 or 7 weight. I guess I need to get back out in the yard and practice some more.

My casting must leave quite a bit to be desired then, because I had a tough time managing these big bugs and 250 grain line with what St. Croix is calling the best streamer rod available in a 6 or 7 weight. I guess I need to get back out in the yard and practice some more.

We know that there are 'sperts out there that can probably cast these flies without even using a rod. Their feet do not touch the ground when they walk, and they speak only to God. However, the average guy has an easier time with a more powerful rod. The Sage Smallmouth takes a 10 weight line. The Largemouth is an 11. These are freshwater rods. Smallmouths do not have trouble chasing a big lure. How big is a 5" hula grub. How long is a 7" Power Worm. Guys catch bonus bass on 12" Musky Lures. So why should flies be different.

No, Mike there are no 'sperts out there who could cast these flies well w/o a rod;but there are good casters out there who have taken the trouble to learn the dubl haul who can with rods no heavier than an 8.If you're happy with whatever flyfishing ability you've achieved fine.One thing that has always impressed me about golfers as a group is the desire so many of them have to become better.

Paul

Neumann's rod of choice for these flies per his website is a high performance,fast action 6wt.Try using a line at least 1 wt heavier than the rod calls for to cast BIG flies.

Those ties look great John. If your having trouble with the big stuff.... Here's a little trick that a fellow named Ken Collins taught me to toss some of his 12" long "half a chicken" musky flies...The trick is to water load your rod...put about 20' of line outside your rod tip....toss a straight back cast and let the fly hit the water & sink a bit...make a big haul, good stop, & shoot line or your forward cast. It works allot better from a boat and it helps if your using a heavy shooting head and a running line setup..

Dont know if any of your are interested...but Kelly Gallop will be giving an all day presentation to the Ozark Fly Fishers in St. Louis,MO on April 2nd. The meeting is open to the public and there are usually some great raffle items. More info here. Cheers.

http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/schedule.html

Those ties look great John. If your having trouble with the big stuff.... Here's a little trick that a fellow named Ken Collins taught me to toss some of his 12" long "half a chicken" musky flies...The trick is to water load your rod...put about 20' of line outside your rod tip....toss a straight back cast and let the fly hit the water & sink a bit...make a big haul, good stop, & shoot line or your forward cast. It works allot better from a boat and it helps if your using a heavy shooting head and a running line setup..

Dont know if any of your are interested...but Kelly Gallop will be giving an all day presentation to the Ozark Fly Fishers in St. Louis,MO on April 2nd. The meeting is open to the public and there are usually some great raffle items. More info here. Cheers.

http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/schedule.html

Thanks, I'll give that method a try if my traditional cast starts to fail me again. I appreciate any new approach. That's actually part of the reason I joined this association. Thanks, also, for the heads up on the Kelly Gallup presentation. He comes across as a very personable guy that just wants to share and learn from others in his Fly Fish TV program, and he is not a "trout only" snob. I'd enjoy the opportunity to listen to his presentation.

Paul

No, Mike there are no 'sperts out there who could cast these flies well w/o a rod;but there are good casters out there who have taken the trouble to learn the dubl haul who can with rods no heavier than an 8.If you're happy with whatever flyfishing ability you've achieved fine.One thing that has always impressed me about golfers as a group is the desire so many of them have to become better.

Paul

Neumann's rod of choice for these flies per his website is a high performance,fast action 6wt.Try using a line at least 1 wt heavier than the rod calls for to cast BIG flies.

I didn't see where Kelly Neuman mentioned his specific preferred rod weight for fishing his streamers. I did see that he talks about his custom streamer rods, but he gives a range of 6 to 8 weight rods.

I'm still relatively new to fly fishing, but I study something new about it every day. I'd agree with you that there are good casters that have taken the time, I wouldn't say trouble, to learn to double haul, but most casting instructors will tell you that the double haul is one of the last techniques a fly fisherman should learn. I have spent some time with a Master Instructor (he's a good friend of mine). He has no problem picking up his 9# Fenwick HMX with 400 grain line spooled up to throw Kelly Neuman's bigger, heavier flies. If he's throwing Gallup's streamers, he'll still use a heavy, stiff rod to control that line weight even though Gallup's streamers aren't typically as heavy as Neuman's. He preaches that the rod weight and speed must match the approach to fishing more so than the fish themselves. I can cast a heavy 8" fly with floating line in my yard (or stream) all day long on my 6# Z-Axis. But if I'm fishing fast water, and I need to strip that line through a deep hole to get it into the feed zone of a fish, I'll switch line weight and rod weight/speed to manage the fly and line. At this point early in my fly fishing career, my goal is to use whatever gear it takes (and that I can afford) to give myself the best chance to catch fish. As I continue to learn, I'll change my approach (and gear) to continue to give myself the best opportunity to catch fish.

I'm sorry I turned John's topic about his interest in Gallup's flies into a discussion of rod/line weight needed to cast them. Great ties John.

Paul

No ron, there are no blanket statements that universally cover all cases as you sometimes imply. As a former golfer, I know that many duff along happy to get in the 90s hoping to get better. Though they strive to get better, as everyone should, they play the game at their level and enjoy it without shame. If they need a 4 wood where a pro would hit a 4 iron, so be it. Even though they are not going to drive the ball 275 off the tee, they step up. They do not wait till they have scratch level skills before they leave the practice range.

That is how fly fishing should be also. 4 iron or 4 wood for 200 yards is similar to 6 wt or 8 wt for a 5 inch streamer. Some need one; some need he other. No shame, we go fishing.

Mike

Neumann's rod preference is clearly stated at the beginning of the site.

A blanket statement is one for which no foundation is given.Whenever I take a flyfishing position I try to give the reason(s) for it.

You claim to be able to cast BIG flies all day long with a 6wt no less, a feat which you state in your initial(sarcastic) post requires a 'spert.Yet you humbly admit to being only a relative beginner yet to learn the dubl haul.Which are you than Mike a beginner or a 'spert walking with the gods(your words not mine)?

To me, I just don't enjoy casting those 8 or 9 wt logs and heavy socks all day unless I stand a chance to hang up with some very large fish like pike or carp. I'm sure those beautiful flies will attract and catch smallies but what fun is it to bring in 15" and less fish with those heavy sticks. And for that reason, I'm always on the look out for a smaller, lighter fly that presents itself larger than it is so I can use my 4,5, and 6 wt rods for the enjoyment once the fish is on. Just my take.

To me, I just don't enjoy casting those 8 or 9 wt logs and heavy socks all day unless I stand a chance to hang up with some very large fish like pike or carp. I'm sure those beautiful flies will attract and catch smallies but what fun is it to bring in 15" and less fish with those heavy sticks. And for that reason, I'm always on the look out for a smaller, lighter fly that presents itself larger than it is so I can use my 4,5, and 6 wt rods for the enjoyment once the fish is on. Just my take.

I completely agree with your preference for 4-6wt rods for smallies.And I would not generally use flies as big as those in this site seemingly are for them.When I 1st started posting my preference for lighter rods several years ago I took a lot of heat from some 8wt afficianadoes.

Your errors are hi-lited in bold below below.

Mike

Neumann's rod preference is clearly stated at the beginning of the site.

1. A blanket statement is one for which no foundation is given. Whenever I take a flyfishing position I try to give the reason(s) for it.

2. You claim to be able to cast BIG flies all day long with a 6wt no less, a feat which you state in your initial(sarcastic) post requires a 'spert.Yet you humbly admit to being only a relative beginner yet to learn the dubl haul.Which are you than Mike a beginner or a 'spert walking with the gods(your words not mine)?

1. A blanket statement, as the use of "blanket" suggests, is a statement that attempts to cover all cases. It is a universal statement. It can frequently be a statement of prejudice or stereotype. To use my own nationality for an example, "All Germans are Nazis." You have confused blanket statement with unfounded statement. That is a statement presented with no evidence.

2. You have totally confused me with someone else putting words in my mouth to boot. Big flies on a 6 wt: I do not see me or anyone else at all saying that in this thread. Yet to learn the double haul Wrong again. Someone else said something like that. As far as you are concerned, you do not know if I can dubl (sic) haul or not. Maybe you assumed something. Which are you than I never claimed either status. The question is a false dilemma giving me only two choices. So the answer is neither.

Right now I will tell you that I used to be able to hit a 4 iron 200 yards. I hope you saw the point of the golf analogy. "Different strokes for different folks!" :)

Eric the beer idea sounds good. I am a relative beginner with a baitcaster. I have only been using one for the last 10 of the 60 years that I have been fishing. Maybe you can give me some tips. No hugs required.

Guest rich mc

lets stick to the topic . kelly galloups flies and the other flies from michigan. if you want to start a topic of casting, or definitions of words start your disagreements elswhere. rich

lets stick to the topic . kelly galloups flies and the other flies from michigan. if you want to start a topic of casting, or definitions of words start your disagreements elswhere. rich

Good idea. I am starting a thread about baitcasting.

Mike

You're right I did mistakenly attribute someone else'e statement to you.Sorry for that mistake.Not sorry for responding to your sarcasm.

Re blanket statements I'm sure I can count on you to point out the next time I make one by saying always/never which as far as I can remember will be the 1st time.

Awwwwwww.... it's kinda fun watching the darkside rear it's ugly head again. Almost like the groundhog seeing it's shadow. Must mean that Spring and consistent warmer weather are just around the corner. smile.gif