State Park Fees Bill

There are always two sides of a coin....you just hope that the side you pick is more beneficial than the other. In this case there is an upside....for people who do not buy fishing licenses, an entrance fee would be a means for them to pay their fair share....maybe. It still comes down to enforcement though. I was thinking about this earlier today, for all laws we have....if no one is around to enforce the laws, what makes someone follow them besides their own conscious? Unfortunately, many people these days are not ethical nor honest...if that were the case we wouldn't need any regulations nor fees.

I do agree that politicians need a pay cut.

I don't think this current proposal is going to go anywhere, but I think state park fees are going to be a reality soon enough, whether we like it or not.

My thoughts:

I'd be fine with the annual pass, but keep the daily fee affordable for goodness sake! Definitely no more than $5, maybe $1-3 would be acceptable. We want to be able to afford to operate the parks, but its all a moot point if no one goes to visit the parks anymore!

People with hunting & fishing licenses, sportsmans license plates, etc. should get in free or at a reduced rate. We're already ponying up....

-SB

The daily fee should drive people to get the annual pass-no less than $5 with the annual around $15 to $20. Non-residents about 50% more. If you have been to a Burger King lately, you know that most meal deals are $5 or more. Bottle of pop at a quick mart = $1 or more. What does a movie cost? Daytime round of golf $35 or more unless you go to Put-put. You can't get gum for a penny any more.

Oops, I forgot one. Gallon of unleaded = $4.

We should keep in mind that park fees are usually per vehicle. At $10 per car, assuming there are 4 passengers, that's $2.50 each-still less than lunch from the value menu at Ronald's. the moral is fish with a friend if you go to a state park.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it certainly didn't take long....the state bumped up the fees to buy a deer tag. Fees will be going up and state parks will again be funded by fisherman and hunters.

Maybe a jogger or biker, or picnicker, ect. should be required to buy a state park tag and all outdoorsman with a license would be exempt. Just like fishing licenses, a visitor can be checked for their "park user fee" license...if they don't have it when checked they should get a fine just like the rest of us.

Guest rich mc

another option is to have the state hand over the state parks [smaller ones] to the local forest preserve . THEY HAVE LAW ENFORCEMENT.they would have better control and get more local support . rich

If I remember rightly, fees for hunting licenses, fishing licenses, and boating strckers come no where near covering the costs of the DNR operation now. Those entry fees probably would fill part of the gap, but ,as now, the state will continue to plug the gap if it can.

Turning State Parks into County Forest Preserves is a thought. Some of the biggest State Parks are in remote counties with low populations. The rangers might be able to pick up the extra patrols thoguh they are stretched thin now. But there are a lot of other things-fixing roads and trails, maintaining piers, trash removal, brush removal, biology and forestry work... To get that done the counties might have to charge entry fees like they did at Blackwell 20-30 years ago. That brings us back to where we are.