Ice fly thoughts?

mannym

Anyone here tie ice flies? I entered an ice tournament in Iowa on a very clear lake that is sight fished and wanted to get a move on building a plan. I did some searches on google and found a few but not sure if anyone has any experience with ice flies. Bluegill is the target

Thanks

Manny M

Manny, I'm no expert in ice flies but I do know that ice fishermen use fly larvae or maggots for panfish and this fly imitates those. I cut up thin pieces of my latex gloves and use colored markers to make these. It's a simple fly but I have caught bluegill and crappie on them. Interested in seeing what more experts might suggest.

img41b3b503caa45.jpg

Nice pics. I found a fly that is called tequila something or other that is along the same lines of representation.

Rob, Those colorful ones are quite a sight. If Dennis Rodman ice fished, those would be in his Plano box. LOL

I think I have some of the material to make a few of those.I need to hit Bass pro in Bolingbrook for some scud and nymph hooks.

Hopefully I can set aside an hour a few times a week and get to it.

post-1439-128968139427_thumb.jpg

I too would love to get together and try out some of these ice flies. What is the more central location for everyone? I am in LaSalle county near Starved Rock.

Thanks and keep them pictures coming.

Ice flies? Far be it from me as an avid flyfisherman to discourage using flies but when it comes to icefishing you'll be far better off using the real thing for panfish, ie actual weed worms,waxies,spikes than flies that imitate them.Hang 'em from a chartreuse ice jig.The best bait if you can get them is corn borers a very oily larva found in the stalks of sweet(not field) corn.

Those look too real!!!!

Piece of cake getting the flies in the hole. Its the bite detection in 20 mph winds with snow flying that is tricky.

Ron K, I was thinking because of the crystal clear water, I would provide a good looking presentation and tip it with a little meat or something.

Can the larva your talking about be bought?

BTW, I plan to bring plenty of waxies, spikes, mousies, and whatever each baitshop between Utica, Illinois and Okoboji,IA has available. I might even punk them out a bit with that dust that turns them colors.

Guest rich mc

this is one area a fly tyer can excell. i have used a bead head on a scud hook. but go down to size 12 -14 small bead chain eye and some small chenille will work and the chenille will hold scent from a real grub. when is you tournament ill send you some rich

Those look too real!!!!

Piece of cake getting the flies in the hole. Its the bite detection in 20 mph winds with snow flying that is tricky.

Ron K, I was thinking because of the crystal clear water, I would provide a good looking presentation and tip it with a little meat or something.

Can the larva your talking about be bought?

BTW, I plan to bring plenty of waxies, spikes, mousies, and whatever each baitshop between Utica, Illinois and Okoboji,IA has available. I might even punk them out a bit with that dust that turns them colors.

I doubt you'll find corn borers these days.You'd have to locate someone who raises sweet corn in our area.Even years ago when there was much more farmland around I knew of only one source.I don't think there's any advantage to using ice flies vs. traditional ice jigs.If anything the reverse might be true.Panfish usually bite so lightly in winter that a spring bobber attached to the end of the ice pole will allow you to detect bites that would go unnoticed with a bobber.

this is one area a fly tyer can excell. i have used a bead head on a scud hook. but go down to size 12 -14 small bead chain eye and some small chenille will work and the chenille will hold scent from a real grub. when is you tournament ill send you some rich

Rich,

Im am leaving on the 6th of January. I would like to see what you have created.

I made a few with a nymph hook last night but I could use some practice with smaller flies.

Thanks for all the info.