Questions on Float and Fly Techniques in Rivers.

Terry Dodge

Terry:

Is your water running clear? If you have dirty water, I don't suggest the fnf. Fish have to see the little fly (jig), in order for it to be effective. If your rivers are like ours right now, I would not be sligin' the fnf.

Don't give up yet. I have never heard of the fnf not being effective on any river.

Well I might give it (f & f) a couple more chances but I ain't askin' no-more questions on the fear

that Eric my put together another cartoon video. (I'm still laughing at that one)

Going to drop the 'toon in next weekend. Suppose to be half-way nice.

• 1 year later...

I have to admit that the success I have had on the float & fly is using a self tied hair jig with some added stank to it.

Don't much care for the stank because it really does stank and it doesn't wash off all that easy.

All smallies I've caught this year on the float & fly have been with stank.

Scoreboard;

Stank - 4

No Stank - 0

Terry

maybe a switch to a jig/twister/tube/creature type might help. an adjust a bubble with a cigar type or centipede hanging down is another option that works.

Terry

maybe a switch to a jig/twister/tube/creature type might help. an adjust a bubble with a cigar type or centipede hanging down is another option that works.

I was thinking the something but probably switching to smaller type tube than I usually use. Thanks.

The Float N Fly does work on the Kish, or at least it has worked for me in the past. My biggest Illinois smallmouth (19 1/2 inches) was caught on the South Branch of the Kish on a olive over white Float N Fly on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend several years ago.

In my experience fishing the Float N Fly on the Kish I've done best in calm or slow moving deep water that was close to stronger current. That kind of water is hard to find on the Kish now. Several of the spots where I have successfully fished the Kish late in the season (including the spot where I caught the 19 1/2 incher) were so low and clear a month ago that I could clearly see most of the stream bottom and the fish that were in those spots. If I waded into the these spots now, I would certainly spook the fish. That is the main reason why I have not tried any late season fishing on the Kish this year.

If I wanted to try fishing the Kish now, I would try some type of extreme finesse presentation, such at as tiny 1/32 oz jig fished on a ultra light rod or a #12 trout nymph fished with a small indicator. I have caught smallies with these presentations in the the late fall and early spring.

With the extreme low water, I am concerned that a harsh winter could result in a winter kill. The water has been so low this fall that some of the bass in the Kish and other small streams in Illinois have not been able to move to deep water spots where they can survive the winter. I'm hoping that we get an early winter rain storm that will raise the water levels.