Earth Day Clean-up East Branch DuPage River (pics added)

Guest Don R

Guest Don R

The meeting time was scheduled for 8:30 am to clean up from Hobson Rd. to 75th St. in and along the banks of the East Branch of the DuPage River. Both the ISA and members of DRIFT participated in another gratifying clean-up. I've been involved in a few of these clean-ups. They certainly are a good experience for all that attend.

Dick G. and I prefished the area for about an hour. We caught a mixed bag of very small fish. Sunfish,Creek Chub,Crappie,Largemouth and yes,even a Smallie was caught. After we got our "fix" we headed for the parking lot to meet up with the clean-up crew. It was great to see some familiar faces as well as some new ones. It was great to see those donuts too :) Thanks!

Dupage County provided a boat to help with the clean-up.

The area wasn't as bad as some that I've seen but we still managed to gather a good bit of garbage. A few larger items, including a fridge and a wooden extension ladder, were tagged for a later pick up by DuPage County.

Old growth trees dotted the shoreline.

After the clean-up Dupage County Biologist Don Labrose answered questions about area streams and lakes. I should have taken notes! Thanks again for all who attended.

Other scenes near the river.

Don R

Great post Don. I have more pictures but haven't figured out how to post them or scale them so they fit.

We had a good turnout , 15 signed in. Although we all worked hard we accomplished alot. The new wing dam was a nice preveiw of the next work day on that stretch, possibly by fall. Don Labrose wants to work on both Dupage branches in the near term and this was a good foundation on which to build. I'm always impressed by how much a handful of willing voluteers can do in a short time. John