A few streamers

Here is what I have been working on of late. This first fly is Joe Cornwall's take on the Murdich Minnow. Definitely a little different as the body is made up of xlarge cactus hackle rather than estaz:

333kdw2.jpg

Now, Joe's version does not include the cone head. I wanted the cone head on this particular fly to give me some weight so I could effectively get it down on a floating line. The original "Joe" model uses no weight and is fished on a sinking line. I tried this fly out in the water last night and it is going to be a real winner!

The fly below is one I call "Casper". I am really into the tying material known as "body fur". It comes in many colors and is relatively cheap. So far, I have made this fly and a sculpin pattern made from this same body fur. When I make this simple fly I attach the 1/4 inch zonker strip, then make a few wraps of white cross cut, add 15 or so wraps of .025 lead free wire wrap, and last I wind on the body fur. Whip finish the head and then I get out the scissors and trim the bottom fairly flat and trim the sides of the fly heavily. I think the trimmed sides make the fly dart better in the water. I also trim the top just a little to give it a minnow-head look. Attach the eyes with Marine Goop and I am done. The fly rides hook down in the water, which is not a problem as I use this fly much the same as I use a fluke.

35a3jgh.jpg

Now all I need is for my rivers to come down and clear out. I head to Georgia on Tuesday and these flys will see my playing time.

The pearl fly will sink very, very slowly without the cone head. This could be good in many situations. In addition, the fly absorbs little or no water. I am fairly sure it could be cast on a five weight rod.

The other fly (the one with rabbit and body fur) does not cast too awfully bad even though it has quite a bit of rabbit on it.

• 2 weeks later...

The 3 streamers shown at the bottom are excellent ties and don't appear to be hybrids of any pattern I've come across. Might be a good idea to submit them to some of the manufacturers to see if you get a "bite".