Fishing out of kayaks?

Rob G

Guest airbornemike

I was wondering if anyone routinely fishes out of a small (10 ft) kayak. I was looking at one with interest since it only weighs 38 lbs and would be easier to transport than my 14 ft Wenonah canoe. Just curious what your experiences have been. As always, thank you for your input.

gaolive.jpg

Rob I'm in the market for the same kayak set up you're look'n for. I fished out of my OT Guide canoe this last season , but for what I do that thing is a tank (70lbs). I need a yak that will stow in the back of my explorer so that I can pull off on the way home from work and hit a small lake or river quickly, I'll post up some stuff as I find it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone read my article on kayak fishing in the current issue of the Bronzeback Bulletin?

I love my Native Ultimate. Love it alot more since bolting the seat across the gunwales. The higher seat in a canoe is a distinct advantage in my opinion. Maybe I'll write an article about how I managed to put the seat at gunwale height. Any interest? I would never buy a sit in kayak to fish out of again. Too low, too little leg and "stuff" room for my taste.

Canoes CAN be significantly lighter than typical plastic kayak, too.

Gregg

Yes, lots of good info, Gregg, not to mention one fine accompanying photo B) . There is one point you made that I disagree with, and that is how often you get out to fish. Once I'm in the yak, I can (and usually do) fish for several hours without exiting the boat. I find that as I improve my skills, there are fewer and fewer circumstances requiring me to get out to fish. Also, I rarely anchor these days, again due to improved skills. A few years ago, if I forgot my anchors in the garage, it could ruin my day. This year, I forgot them and even intentionally skipped them several times with no problems.

what happens in a SOT if you go thru rapids? Don't you get swamped?

wow the kayaks in the videos are awfully cool, but they have to cost some serious coin. Though I prefer the idea of keeping things human powered, I have to admit the battery case is really sweet. If you are going to use a trolling motor taht is the way to goi.

The Native pedal motor is neat too.

I have a Tarpon 120 SOT that has a rudder that can be lowered into the water and is operated with foot pedals. This is a great feature in moderate to slow moving water. I can fish for long stretches without using the paddle at all. By pushing the foot pedals, I can go from one side of the river to the other. On flat water it helps keep a straight course when fighting the wind. The downside is the rudder system does add weight. As far as water in a SOT, there are plugs that can be purchased to fill the drain holes. If water does come over the top of the kayak, I always carry one of Vince's Sham Wows or a sponge to mop up the water.

Mark, think of it as a thick surf board. I have fished with anchor in 2' waves with no problem, once you get used to the wave washing over you while you sit stable. My son Malcolm told me that he didn't like that after hitting a boundry waters crossing with 3+' waves - said it freaked him out to watch the front of the boat go under with each crest. Plugging the holes keeps you drier unless water is coming over the sides, then you want them open so the self bailing allows the cockpit to empty.

Mentioned previously, and certainly worth a look, is Native Kayak's Ultimate. It's a hybrid...a cross between a sit in kayak and a canoe. Someone mentioned leaders in innovation and left this brand out. IMO Native belongs right there with Hobie. I can also attest to the comfort of the seat in this kayak: best in the business. The Ultimate 12 weighs about 55 pounds... yet there is a 12' Tegris version (lighter material) that runs about 36 pounds.

This is very stable. I own the 14.5, which on a calm lake (or on the flats in the Keys...where I rent them), is fairly easy to stand in for sight fishing or fly casting once you master the technique. One benefit of the design is that it can be paddled upstream more easily than many other kayaks. I use mine in the Kankakee, and find it is just about perfect. It tracks very well and is fast.

If you are so inclined, Native offers a Propel drive system for pedaling that significantly outperforms the Hobie and will go in reverse (the Hobie system won't). It is not as good in shallow water or heavy weeds. There the Hobie wins out.

I have not used my Ultimate on the Big Lake, however the Native web site shows a few fisherman in Milwaukee with some nice salmon landed from their Ultimates.

By the way, the Native Ultimate comes in a 9.5" size for smaller paddlers that weighs 39 pounds, yet I'm not sure of its maximum capacity. The 12" has a capacity of 350 pounds. The 14.5's capacity is 450 pounds (they offer a tandem version that can be converted to a solo), and the 16's capacity is 600 pounds (also a tandem). As this craft is an open hull for pretty much its entire length, it is fairly easy to load multiple rods within it.

As a brand, there are only two problems with Native:

1) They do not have any Illinois dealers. The closest to Northern Illinois is in Wisconsin unless you choose an Orvis shop (it's in their catalog).

2) They are not the least expensive option if price is your primary consideration.

I hope this helps.

Jude,

You might be right that you can develop skills that allow you to stay in, rather than get out of the kayak. I find that I want to get out frequently for comfort, AND I fish a good area more thoroughly on foot. At the end of this season I rigged a way to lift the seat. I had it out on a lake that way, but not a stream yet. I am hoping it improves my comfort during a long sit.

For those who don't recognize him, it is Jude fishing from his kayak in the picture with my article in the Bulletin. I took the pic two (?) years ago on the Kishwaukee.

Gregg

Before we all go out and by 12-14' sit on tops:

SOTS are heavier. Considerably heavier than Sit ins.

The generally have wide hulls that are stable and turn like a battleship. Bad for fishing. Manuverability is a lifesaver fishing streams- and easier to catch fish from.

You sit on top Canoes and SOT's so you are higher off the water and catch more wind.

You are higher off the water, makes it harder to duck under river spanning trees, vines and branches.

You bottom half is exposed to the elements; wind, rain, splash, scrapping branches, etc...

It is easy to fall out of a SOT. In a SIK, the hull help keeps you and your gear in the boat. SOT guys like to swim and be wet. Bounce both off some riffle boulders and see, there is a reason why canoes have higher walls.

You better strap down all your gear.

On the other hand, SOT's are really easy to get out of. If you are overweight or out of shape in terms of standing up from the ground, get a SOT. The single biggest advantage over any other boat.

For get up and go you can't beat a cheap recreational kayak, like Phil suggests. Easy to transport, manuverable, if the hull wears out, buy another one for cheaper than a single SOT. get tired of sitting in it? Clip it to your belt and wade for a while.

I really don't understand why some people are afraid of kayaks. Must be footage of whitewater kayakers rolling their boats. We aren't remotely talking about the same thing.

THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF KAYAK HULLS, they all perform differently. Added length makes it harder to turn,also possible to have less bottom drag- ie paddle through slightly shallower water.

Once you understand how different hull shapes affect handling, then you are ready to buy.

If you don't own a yak and wade streams, you really should get one. It's a great change of pace and often the best way to fish.

Mark, think of it as a thick surf board. I have fished with anchor in 2' waves with no problem, once you get used to the wave washing over you while you sit stable. My son Malcolm told me that he didn't like that after hitting a boundry waters crossing with 3+' waves - said it freaked him out to watch the front of the boat go under with each crest. Plugging the holes keeps you drier unless water is coming over the sides, then you want them open so the self bailing allows the cockpit to empty.

Okay. Clearly, I did not understand the concept behind SOTs. This would not be fun on cold day.

The interest this topic has generated has gotten us to think that some sort of paddle and compare outing might be in order for this summer.An outing where members could bring their boats to show and try others they are interested in trying.

Ed B

Eugene C

Excellent idea!!

This is not true . I fish out of a 9'4" Mainstream streak. At 6'2" 215, it more than handles me and my gear.

How comfortable are you in your yak? Also being 6'2" and having tighter hamstrings and lower back I need to be able to move around a bit/change positions (as much as I could in a yak).

How comfortable are you in your yak? Also being 6'2" and having tighter hamstrings and lower back I need to be able to move around a bit/change positions (as much as I could in a yak).

Comfort... hmmm I don't believe in it. It interfers with fishing activities. :rolleyes::lol::P;)

Adjust foot pegs, throw legs up on the hood, lean back, etc... just change your position from time to time, or get out and wade if you feel tired in any area.

The best modification I have done is to add a large foam block under the knees to rest hamstrings on. It really seems to help keep legs from falling asleep. Holding your legs in any position unsupported will tire them out.

I am a strong believer in Yoga/stretching before and after fishing.

Comfort... hmmm I don't believe in it. It interfers with fishing activities. :rolleyes::lol::P;)

Adjust foot pegs, throw legs up on the hood, lean back, etc... just change your position from time to time, or get out and wade if you feel tired in any area.

The best modification I have done is to add a large foam block under the knees to rest hamstrings on. It really seems to help keep legs from falling asleep. Holding your legs in any position unsupported will tire them out.

I am a strong believer in Yoga/stretching before and after fishing.

You mean they don't have a lazy boy yak yet :rolleyes::lol:;)

That's all good advice! I've put off getting some sort of water craft for a few reasons but one of them was "comfort". Dick's has their annual something or other around Memorial Day. They have all the yaks out and a pool you can test them in. I stopped several years ago and could barely get in to some kayaks I guess due to my giraffe like legs. Last time I was in a canoe I didn't think I was going to be able to walk the next day :blink:

Not to get too far off the subject but stretching or something will become part of my routine this year along with making sure I have a good electrolyte balance. A couple years ago I woke up in the middle of the night after wading with both hamstrings cramping. That was extremely painful and probably quite comical with me crawling and writhing on the floor in pain. It was freaking my wife out for a minute :wacko:

You mean they don't have a lazy boy yak yet :rolleyes::lol:;)

Sure they do! It's called the personal pontoon! THE most stable and comfortable personal fishing craft made! The only drawback is that it's a one directional craft on a river - downstream only. But, if you can arrange a shuttle, they are great. Getting in and out is the same as getting out of your lazy boy, just put your feet down, stand up and walk out.

I have the same problem with kayaks, I can't comfortably sit in them or get in and out. That's the biggest drawback for me. I also don't like having water pour on me with every stroke of the paddle. No one tells you about that.

If comfort and long legs are a concern, you really should consider a SOT. Again, weight and expense increase, but I'm very happy with mine. If your back stiffens up, it's much easier to hop out and stretch. Plus unlimited legroom to alter you leg position.

I fished out of my SIK yaks for seven years, and was happy with them, but this last year with the SOT has made me a believer. I just really like the openness of it and the freedom of movement. My river is pretty slow and wide, so maneuverability isn't as critical for me. Plus, I live within dragging distance of the river, so I only have to get it on the car at the take out.

If getting hit with a wave concerns you, I'd rather get swamped on my SOT than in a SIK. A SIK will fill with water and be a real PITA to get to shore and empty out. A SOT will not sink, and you can get back on while in the water. (Or so they say. I haven't had to try it yet.) I thought about that earlier this year as I paddled across a good sized lake in Sylvania. I felt good knowing that if a wave tipped me over, no matter what my yak was going to float.

I really like Ed's idea of a "comparison day". Like Bterrill said, a lot of people are scared of kayaks, thinking they are unstable. I haven't dumped one yet.

If comfort and long legs are a concern, you really should consider a SOT. Again, weight and expense increase, but I'm very happy with mine. If your back stiffens up, it's much easier to hop out and stretch. Plus unlimited legroom to alter you leg position.

I fished out of my SIK yaks for seven years, and was happy with them, but this last year with the SOT has made me a believer. I just really like the openness of it and the freedom of movement. My river is pretty slow and wide, so maneuverability isn't as critical for me. Plus, I live within dragging distance of the river, so I only have to get it on the car at the take out.

If getting hit with a wave concerns you, I'd rather get swamped on my SOT than in a SIK. A SIK will fill with water and be a real PITA to get to shore and empty out. A SOT will not sink, and you can get back on while in the water. (Or so they say. I haven't had to try it yet.) I thought about that earlier this year as I paddled across a good sized lake in Sylvania. I felt good knowing that if a wave tipped me over, no matter what my yak was going to float.

I really like Ed's idea of a "comparison day". Like Bterrill said, a lot of people are scared of kayaks, thinking they are unstable. I haven't dumped one yet.

Lucky you, Jude . . . same goes for me and my canoe.

SIK Kayaks float too. Most have foam in the ends or in between the layers of hull.

But can you bail it out and climb back in in the middle of a lake? ;)

I think the biggest reason for my yak (either type) preference over other alternatives is the river I fish and the way I fish it. I am most comfortable casting upstream, but when floating, everything is approached from upstream. I also key on rip rap banks quite a bit. My standard approach is to float to the downstream end of a rip rap bank, turn back upstream, and pull up to the bank. I then throw a leg out of the yak to use as an anchor to the bank, and cast upstream parallel to the bank. After thoroughly working within casting distance, I paddle up a few yards, throw my leg out and do the same, etc, etc, until the whole bank is covered. I do this with any of my yaks, but it is easier in the SOT.

The comfort of a pontoon is impossible to beat, but both times I've tried to fish out of one, I got frustrated. In a pontoon I feel too much at the mercy of the current, but in any yak I have a lot more options.

I've never fished out of a solo canoe, but they do look very comfortable. I just assume that they are not quite as maneuverable as a yak, but more so than a pontoon.

Not if you want to cover much water IMHO.

You can cover a lot more than you think.For example there are some good size strip pits at Mazonia.In the course of 4-5 hrs you can bassbug the whole pit by fishing one shoreline going out & the other coming back.And your hands will be free to fish the whole time instead of having to frequently put down the rod in order to grab the oars.Another plus is that they're easily backpacked fully rigged up.

You can cover a lot more than you think.For example there are some good size strip pits at Mazonia.In the course of 4-5 hrs you can bassbug the whole pit by fishing one shoreline going out & the other coming back.And your hands will be free to fish the whole time instead of having to frequently put down the rod in order to grab the oars.Another plus is that they're easily backpacked fully rigged up.

Yeah. I had my yak in Mazonia. It worked but I think a belly boat would be better. Couple of my freinds use them and they love 'em. I'm getting one this year.

belly boat would be quieter too.

But can you bail it out and climb back in in the middle of a lake? ;)

Jude, never had to bail it out in moving water, don't know why a lake would be something I'd capsize in.

If you mean Lake Michigan, then that's a different story.

I'm not likely to fish lake Michigan in any kayak, so if that's your intention, a longer SOT becomes a pretty good option.