Any interest in a downstate or central IL fly tyer's night out?

Rob G

Been wondering for a while why it wouldn't work there, or even in the southwest suburbs.

Taking the already successful tying program and applying it in multiple regions/locations.

It takes one person or a small group to simply decide they are going to make it happen.

If you'd like, I can write something up for the December e-News as a request.

Kudos Rob.

My hat's off to you for taking the initiative!

Just curious if there was any interest in a more downstate or central Illinois fly tyer's evening of getting together, sharing some patterns and afterwards a food and beverage? Doesn't have to be a weekly or monthly thing.

I'd be all for a friday night, drive from Nothern suburbs could be a pain. Name the pattern and place and if the snow ain't falling, I'll be there.

First thing would be trying to determine what might be the central point for most of the interest. I was thinking Champaign or Bloomington. Next would be to determine a time when most could make it. Unfortunately, no one single time will work for all, but maybe a Friday evening or Saturday/Sunday afternoon. With that information in hand, then we can find a place that will accommodate us. I just know as the cold weather sets in, I always enjoy building rods and tying flies and it's always fun to listen to others stories while I'm doing it, not to mention the food and beverage that follows.

Another thing that might be of interest for some, as I know at least a couple of us like to build rods and we might want to have a day where we could help others give it a try. Since it's always neat in catching a smallie on a rod you built and a fly you tied.

Anyway, just some wondering aloud.

Count me in. Right now I've got Fridays and weekends free. After finals are over next week I've got Thursdays free also.

It would be great to see what everybody is tying. Personally I'd be interested in seeing some of those chenille worms tied, and see Jonn do a crease fly or hairy fodder.

Brian

I would be interested...the biggest problem in central Il is we have no fly shops to get materials at the last moment for everyone to tie a specific fly. A presenter could be left with a bunch of materials if people don't show up. So we would have to have a greater commitment and advanced planning for it to work.

Some of us know that the Heyworth Public Library has been the venue for fly tying classes (can you say, "Jim Z"?). That's where I learned enough to get sort of serious about it. And the Central Illinois group met there one time where the meeting topic was fly tying. It's not the most central place, but it does have some history, and good roads lead to the "Home of the Hornets."

I would be interested...the biggest problem in central Il is we have no fly shops to get materials at the last moment for everyone to tie a specific fly. A presenter could be left with a bunch of materials if people don't show up. So we would have to have a greater commitment and advanced planning for it to work.

Very good point Jim, and so our format may not follow the same as up north when they hold the meetings at "One More Cast" but that's OK. I'm sure we can probably come up with something else that's still educational and fun. Since this may or may not become a regular thing, I see no reason why we have to focus on just one specific fly for the evening. It might be something like, hey, I need to tie up a bunch of Clousers for next season so I show up with my materials and the next thing I know, I'm giving someone else some bucktail and maybe they're handing me some different chrystal flash that I had not thought of. Or maybe we say, tonight is "top water night" what do you like to use and how do you tie it. Or we have a "Stained water evening" as in what do you like to tie and let fly in these conditions. With the freedom to try different things, we may find one format works and another doesn't. If we let people know enough in advance, we can always mail order our supplies to have for that evening as well. I know last year when we played around with our materials at that one meeting in Heyworth, I had a great time and learned somethings as well but only wish we may have had more time to experiment.

Again, no set rules, so how would people who would most likely attend want to approach this ??

Sounds like close to a plan--I'm game so is Sk Jordan and he is going to

call the Danville guys--Joseph told me about a month ago that he would be

willing to come down and instruct and if we can plan ahead and let him know

he can bring material--The Hot Rod Saloon is closed--martial problems--

potluck was suggested or pizza. I will check with the library tomorrow and

see what we can work out. Maybe after the Christmas vacation we can make

things final.

Good ideas all, the open format is alot of fun as well as good learning experience. We did that twice last year in my garage in Lombard tying for new member kits & the blowout swap. Any place with space & decent lighting will do. Cory & I have talked about getting one or more sessions together down your way - set it up & both of us will come barring other constraints ( Stuart has also chimed in). Material sharing works pretty well & with notice one of us could bring specifics along. I'll come down as far as Champaign & would make a couple of these events. Don't be discouraged about numbers in attendance, many times we have 5 or so up to 10 for a tie. Plan one in early Jan. & tiers could choose to chip in for show inventory. We hope to do one in Dec. like that up here. Good job Rob & great timing.

OK, here's what I have:

Urbana Library Conference room / Lower floor (Not the Larger Auditorium)

210 West Green Street, Urbana, Illinois 61801 · 217-367-4057

Sunday afternoon, January 17th, 1- 4:00 PM

Format still to be determined.

Food and Beverage afterwards, countless places within the area. Let me know what you're up for.

If possible please let me know if you plan on attending.

Also please feel free to PM or email me if you have any further questions or comments and also continue to discuss what you would like to see at this event.

Sounds like we have a plan. Wish it was closer to Bloomington/Normal, but that's ok. We used to meet there when I was in Trout Unlimited, so I know where it is. The only problem then was we had very poor lighting.

Can we get this thread pinned so it will stay at the top of subjects? Don't have a 2010 calender yet to write it on, so an old fart like me could easily forget!

Brian

Brian, I have no problem with Bloomington, but I'm 80 miles away so difficult for me to set anything up there. Even Champaign/Urbana is 35 miles away for me. I attended one Trout Unlimited meeting there as well but the lights were turned down so a fellow could present an audio-visual which didn't work that evening. I will check out the lighting and if it is too poor, then will try to make other provisions.

Edit: The room which has been reserved is not the same as was used for the TU meeting when I attended. The lighting is very decent but feel free to bring additional lighting if your aging eyes are in need. :P

When I told the wife about the meeting on the 17th, all I got was a blank stare....like "you're doing what?!" Then I realized our anniversary is the 18th.....

Anyway, after scaring the begeebers out of me she smiled and said she didn't care because she wanted to spend the day at her sewing machine anyway. She loves seeing me panic...... cruel, cruel woman! :D

Amen to that, Rob. I would think that a library would have Wifi, and if the Colts or Broncos (doubtful, but possible) are playing I would definately bring my laptop! I grew up in Colorado, and my wife is from Indy, so I bleed a wierd combination of orange and blue. If nothing else, we'll need to find a bar/restaurant with the game on!

I sort of had plans with an anniversary the 19th, and we had talked about going to "Too Hot to Handel", the gospel rock version of The Messiah, at the Auditorium in Chicago. But like BrianJ, I have a spouse who is understanding, and she says we can celebrate some other weekend, so I plan to visit Urbana on the 17th, and I don't really care about any football game that might be on.