Loki

Mike G

It is close to a month since any new patterns were posted here if we count Joe's Carp flies which are excellent for Smallmouth Bass also. We used to say,"If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem." so I will be part of the solution.

Here is a fly I named after the Norse god, Loki. He was a notorious shape shifter capable of assuming the form of any living being instantly. I hoped to capture some of that in the Loki fly. It floats; it sinks; it drags the bottom depending on how you set it up.

First I give credit to Rich for introducing me to tying on 60 deg jig hooks some time back. Then I will give credit Craig Reindeau whose “ringers” got me started thinking about an adjustable weight fly. Then my thinking evolved. If you can adjust the weight, why not adjust the whole fly.

Skeleton

IMG_3237.jpg

This is the basis of the Loki fly. I call it the skeleton. The black elastic band is the “ringer” that will hold most any size bead chain or dumbbell eye or can be left empty for a weightless fly. The thread bump is important for holding “dressings.” I used red thread in honor of the red hook fad.

Turboskirt

IMG_3238.jpg

Here’s the first shape shift-using a skirt. Shown here are a 2.5 inch Turbofinesse and a 5 inch Turboflare. It is hard to imagine how many variations there might be.

Hitchhiker

IMG_3239.jpg

Now there is a gadget called a Hitchhiker that has been around for a while. I got the idea of using it this way from Barlow’s website. Here it is as I prepare for another shift.

21st Century Plastics

35 years ago I tried fishing soft plastics on a fly rod with marginal results. Though my 9 wt Shakespeare was up to the task of tossing a 4” Crème Worm, every third or fourth cast something, my leader I assume, clipped the tail off the worm. I never figured out the stroke needed to avoid that, and plastisol worms were not holding up.

It took over 30 years for a better material to come along. I was happy to find that worms made of Elaztech or Cyberflex held up to my punishing casting style. Here’s Loki with a split tail trailer that will float if it is not weighted. Imagine fishing this on the edge of a weed bed weighted and then snapping the dumbbell eyes out to fish it as a floater in the “slop.”

IMG_3241.jpg

The 4” salt impregnated worm sinks slowly. Grubs and Mini-pork-chunks are also available.

Now there might be a question of whether this even is a fly. I will leave that to the experts while I go fishing.

Guest airbornemike

Steve look in the spring 09 Fly Tyer magazine it has complete steps for the tye, try a google search. Mike have you water tested the fly/bait? I like it, maybe would be a good searching pattern depending how she casts.

Guest rich mc

was wondering where the name came from. whats fly tying coming to! next will be an ultimate worm tied on a EWG worm hook. main thing is that we keep trying new thingsand learn from each other. nice post mike rich

was wondering where the name came from. whats fly tying coming to! next will be an ultimate worm tied on a EWG worm hook. main thing is that we keep trying new thingsand learn from each other. nice post mike rich

Mike,

PM me an address and I'll send you the real fly solution to what you're trying to do. I'm ahead of you guy. Glad to see someone seeing the use for the interchangeable weighting system. Keep it up.

Even though I don't fly fish that is really stinking cool! From what little I know it seems as if the worm would be pretty hard to cast. Do you need a heavier weight rod for that?

For casting, the small plastics and skirts on the 1/0 hook remind me of a similar sized Hairy Fodder when it gets wet. Large weighted flies just don't handle like a #12 Elk Hair. I use an 8/9 wt rod mostly.

Steve look in the spring 09 Fly Tyer magazine it has complete steps for the tye, try a google search. Mike have you water tested the fly/bait? I like it, maybe would be a good searching pattern depending how she casts.

I was lucky enough to learn how to tie ringers from the master (Craig) with rich looking over my shoulder at one of John Lobach's Monday sessions. Then I was lucky enough to come across the spring Fly Tyer at a book store. The write up in that issue should be very helpful though you have to be able to mentally flip the images since Craig is a lefty. If the issue is no longer on the racks in stores, you might be able to get it from the magazine.

Fly Tyer

PRODUCT INFORMATION/BACK ISSUES:

800-458-4010

I was lucky enough to learn how to tie ringers from the master (Craig) with rich looking over my shoulder at one of John Lobach's Monday sessions. Then I was lucky enough to come across the spring Fly Tyer at a book store. The write up in that issue should be very helpful though you have to be able to mentally flip the images since Craig is a lefty. If the issue is no longer on the racks in stores, you might be able to get it from the magazine.

Fly Tyer

PRODUCT INFORMATION/BACK ISSUES:

800-458-4010

Thanks, I have that issue, and I am also a lefty, (smart, intelligent, good looking, "hostile left hander",) it just seems that there should be an easier way to tie on the loop (maybe stretch it, pierce the bottom 1\4 of it with the hook, move it to the front, and put it on before you tie the rest of the stuff on). I was introduced to Craigs system in a D.R.I.F.T. meeting a few years ago. What do you think Craig???

Tying on the Ringers is one of those things that is best seen done in person to really understand it. It truly is easy to do and takes no more than 60 seconds to accomplish. Next time I'm in the Chicago area I'll make sure in any tying event that there is a lesson on just how to do this. The Tyers at Rainy's Flies got it right the first time with nothing more than the pictures from the article. The only easier method I could imagine is if the hooks were sold pre-rigged with them. I'm seriously considering making a CD with some tying techniques. I always seem to be working "outside the box." I may be prejudiced but I tie everything with the Ringers. A bait that is not convertable just doesn't fly for me any more (pun intended).

Thanks, I have that issue, and I am also a lefty, (smart, intelligent, good looking, "hostile left hander",) it just seems that there should be an easier way to tie on the loop (maybe stretch it, pierce the bottom 1\4 of it with the hook, move it to the front, and put it on before you tie the rest of the stuff on). I was introduced to Craigs system in a D.R.I.F.T. meeting a few years ago. What do you think Craig???

Steve,

Brilliant!

Where I used to work that would have earned a productivity award. I tried it. After I slid the ringer into position, I tied it down with the standard criss-cross (6x6) method. I then continued to make a standard Loki. You eliminated the need for wire cutters and the sewing maching needle. PM your address to Craig so he can send you the reward. :D

Guest airbornemike

Um....that was entirely to simple, Steve I tyed up a dozen of my favorite patterns using your method to attach the rubber fastners, man did I save time and tedious manipulations, thank you sir!

Yah, but it was MY IDEA!

Like going to the moon was someone's idea first. :rolleyes:

NASA got there first. ;)

Seriously, getting back to basics, you get the productivity improvement award for your suggestion. Us other guys just proved it out.

Craig owes you though he has been silent about this major step forward for mankind. Whatever Craig does, I will send you some Lokis in recognition of how your brilliant suggetion has changed my tying life. PM an address.

I've been following closely. Had to do a little experimenting before I could comment. I had a few reservations but after tying up a dozen with all sizes of hooks I have to agree that Steve is a genius. I've never before had anyone improve on one of my ideas that I thought was actually better. Dude, your the man today! Steve, PM me your name and address. I want to give credit where due when I send into Fly Tyer a better way to do this.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank You!, I will look forward to receiving them and meeting you at some tying event. The next 4 weeks I will be busy flyfishing for salmon in the Root and the Milwaukee river. Anybody want to join me just give a holler! It is really a hoot!

steve, I've been wanting to get up there for years!! I just might tag along one of these days!!

Joe

• 1 month later...