Apple River Outing

Hey, Ron...

The Apple outing is August 15th. (It's on the calendar, but is one of four events that day.)

Can't answer the other question.

Four ISA events on one day?!? Appears to be a case of poor planning . . . particularly for those of us interested in fishing one or more of the locations.

Surely the ISA Planning Committee members could have coordinated scheduled outings more conducive to avid smallmouth bass fishermen who seize every opportunity to join fellow ISA members in catching and releasing our favored species of fish.

Steve, maybe you should take your case to the Weather Wizards who somehow have managed to screw up two seasons in a row. I'll back you up.

Ron

Four ISA events on one day?!? Appears to be a case of poor planning . . . particularly for those of us interested in fishing one or more of the locations.

Surely the ISA Planning Committee members could have coordinated scheduled outings more conducive to avid smallmouth bass fishermen who seize every opportunity to join fellow ISA members in catching and releasing our favored species of fish.

Events are scheduled by the Regional Coordinators. We have a lot of family obligations and other events to schedule around so we get these things done when we can. I hear the Chicagoland region is looking for a coordinator so you can step up and do some scheduling for next year. Forming a scheduling commitee and coordinating with other coordinators would only help take our orginization to a higher level.

The Kankakee river and Apple river are about 4 hours apart so this offers events for members at both ends of our state. It's unlikely that I would attend a Kankakee outing and someone living along the Indiana border is pretty unlikely to attend an Apple river event.

Keep in mind the Apple river trip is a RSVP trip. Please let me know if you plan on attending and if you are willing to lead a group.

Paul Trybul

815-703-2651

Paul, I am painfully aware how difficult it is to plan events, and the weather has made things even more problematic to try to space out events in a short season. That being said, Steve has brought up a valid point. There are a large number of us who live in between the two sites, Apple and K3, who would have, under ideal conditions, loved to participate in both events. But, to use another cliche, it is what it is, so we can only hope that next year brings better weather and a chance to space things out a bit more. In the meantime, some good weather for the 15th would be nice.

Ron

Events are scheduled by the Regional Coordinators. We have a lot of family obligations and other events to schedule around so we get these things done when we can. I hear the Chicagoland region is looking for a coordinator so you can step up and do some scheduling for next year. Forming a scheduling commitee and coordinating with other coordinators would only help take our orginization to a higher level.

The Kankakee river and Apple river are about 4 hours apart so this offers events for members at both ends of our state. It's unlikely that I would attend a Kankakee outing and someone living along the Indiana border is pretty unlikely to attend an Apple river event.

Keep in mind the Apple river trip is a RSVP trip. Please let me know if you plan on attending and if you are willing to lead a group.

Paul Trybul

815-703-2651

The Western Region event just bumped it to 4 for the day. That was added this week.

It wasn't something that was discussed ahead of time- the coordinators choose their dates according to what they feel is best for their specific region and it's members.

What I can say is that running an organization of 600+/- members is extremely difficult when every person is volunteering their time.

Look at how long the same people have been doing this, compare it to similar organizations that have experienced burnout and responded to it negatively, and we're still doing pretty good with what we have.

Looking at a list of the original founders of the ISA leaves me scratching my head.

Not only do I not know any of the principals from that period, most of the names I have never seen on paper before, nor are they even members any longer.

So what you have now is a special group that cannot give it up without the house of cards tumbling down in front of our eyes.

What Paul said is exactly right- we are searching for a Chicagoland Regional Coordinator.

Where does one even start in that regard?

I get 6-7 calls a week regarding conservation matters that have little to do with smallmouth bass and do my best to answer them and help solve their problems....while the kids are tugging at my sleeve to go out and play catch or go fishing. Then a dozen emails to answer about hard core issues that people get paid to solve while sitting in offices all day.

Burnout doesn't begin to explain the problems we face each and every day as captains of this little dory.

Don't get me wrong.....

The issue of planning IS a good question, and deserves an answer.

The simple answer is that we currently need help, and welcome any member reading this to step up with a willingness to take on a few responsibilities.

Guest rich mc

i would prefer to have many options to choose from than just one. then there is also the option of getting on the lets hook up forum and set up a small group of your own. an organization of our size needs as many events as we can hold to make all opportunities available to our members. rich

Just for the record. The Western Region choose August 15 for their Maquoketa River outing last May. Just didn't get around to posting it on the calendar until this week. We selected August 15 because that date worked best for the two trip coordinators. Nonetheless we will keep other scheduled trips in mind when we plan for future outings.

Dave J

It would be interesting to see which outing produces the best fishing. A little friendly competition between regions. May the best fishermen win!

I wouldn't bet against the numbers produced on an Apple outing. The size however will be much smaller that fish caught on the Kankakee. I guess it depends how you score it.

I just wanted to take this chance to thank all of the volunteers that make ISA happen...I'm halfway thru my first year of membership and couldn't be happier. Wonderful group of like minded people working towards a common goal. It has been a great experience! Keep up the good work!

I wouldn't bet against the numbers produced on an Apple outing. The size however will be much smaller that fish caught on the Kankakee. I guess it depends how you score it.

So, I take it the game is on then?

(I never catch crap at ANY outings....but I know some people who do.)

Guess I better get on the phone!

:P

• 9 months later...

It would be interesting to see which outing produces the best fishing. A little friendly competition between regions. May the best fishermen win!

Sounds like a little, just for fun, CPR (Catch/Picture/Release) tourney for the Aug. 15 week-end.