4/26 Kankakee outing

Greg,

One of the perks of being a member is attending ISA fishing outings. They are indeed for members only.

ISA region meetings, conservation events, the annual fundraiser (Bronzeback Blowout) and many other events are open to the public.

Thanks! Would this outing be appropriate for someone who is a newby? Fly rod OK? Wading?

Greg

Wading will be limited with the current water levels but there are shoreline spots. I would wear waders for the spots you may need them to skirt brush and to keep the mud off your clothes. You try try a fly but water clarity is minimal as well, bring other tackle especially if you are coming any distance.

The weather forecast is fantastic calling for 80 degree temp Don't forget your sunscreen.

Any time you get a chance to fish with someone with more or different exprience is always worthwhile.

Still no set patterens to report for presentation or location, adapt, overcome, improvise.

I will be out on Sunday,should be a nice day on the kank.//if your coming make sure you have some heavier keeper hooks/5" grubs/rattle traps/med. dive cranks/swim jigs/craw plastics/water is still high so be ready to do some hoofing

out friday with mexed results. Fished the kank from 4-6pm. Got 6 smb 12-14" and one very large flathead cat. This was the first I have ever caught in 15 years of fishing the kank. Easily topped 10lbs/same old story/thought I was snagged ,went to pop it of and it started to run/caught all fish on dark colored plastics black or dark punkin green/with all this rain it might be a tough one sunday

Got out saturday for a few hours and I agree with Norm and Ray that conditions will be a little tough.But that being said you can still catch a few fish.Wading will be very limited but the fish will be pretty close to shore.Not as tight as you might think but just past the submerged shoreline where it meets the gravel.Minutes before catching the fish in this picture I got spooled by a huge fish,it took a hundred yards of line in about 10 seconds.I have 8lb. test on my reel and soon as I realized I was running out of line I put some pressure on and the line snapped.Water temps are up to 60 degrees.Good luck on Sunday.

I was all over the State Park and Warner Bridge area on Saturday. The wading was very tough. There were parts of Area 7 which were very slippery and steep and then throw in that moving water and it became even tougher. Maybe it was just the downpour which slicked everything up. Good luck out there.

Had a nice day on the Kankakee. I met a few members that I didn't know and we tried a couple of new areas that i hadn't been to before. I probably forced them to do too much walking. I'm beat, but we all caught a few fish. Almost all the fish were close to the bank in eddies and caught on tubes. Ted had the big fish at 18"

Thanks everyone for coming out

Phil F