Lake Michigan outing 4/18 - follow up 4/18

This will be our first outing on the lakefront of Lake Michigan. Meet at parking lot (towards the far end) of Northerly Island at 9am. Let me know if you can provide some up to date conditions.

Want to give Lake Michigan a try? The next state record smallmouth may come from the shoreline of Lake Michigan. If you've been there, done that perhaps you would like to share some tips and techniques that will help others improve their catch. Whether you spin or fly fish come out to this first ever ISA lake Michigan outing.

Sixteen members enjoyed the warm spring temperatures, fished the shoreline of the harbor & when I left at 12 noon didn't catch anything. Still a good time - I think it may be a couple of weeks early. Anyone have more to report? Thanks to all who came out!

Not familiar with Lake Michigan shores. Please be more specific about location . . . or provide map points. Thanks.

Disregard, John . . . I just google mapped "Northerly Island" and located the site. See you next Saturday at 9:00 am. Looking forward to the outing. Any suggestions for artificial lures that are good for Lake Michigan smallies? Have never fished for them along Lake Michigan shores.

1/8-1/4oz jigs and black or green pumpkin tubes have worked well for me in the past. Goby colors should work well too.

Hopefully there'll still be parking available at that time. I always went about 3 hours earlier and found a place to park. If not, be prepared to pay the premium rates.

I have been out a few times in my boat in the past few weeks. Have had luck w/poorboys erie darter mango magic /green/gold,colors 5" kalins grubs white green and pumkin/also tubes in similar colors/mostley dragging slow/cannot make it this one fishing the anglers dream tourn/good luck guys

about parking. If anybody thinks they would be going back to the lake to fish again I recommend going to Henry's on 32nd and canal in bridgeport and purchase a fisherman's parking pass. cost $10 good for 3 months. Their is about a 20 car lot on northerly island and a large parking area at i believe dusable harbor spcificly for the pass. great value for parking and access for lakefront fishing. I've caught nice smallies from 31st st all the way to the chicago river from shore. I think by sat the weather should clear up as well as the lake water. It's very dirty looking in the main lake and cloudy w/about 3 ft vis in harbors. with a little s-sw wind should blow some of the murky water out. fished yesterday around northerly and didn't see much activity. managed to hook I would guess a small steelhead hard to tell but 3 jumps in about 3 seconds and it was all over. don't worry about water temp too much there's usually something to fish for whether coho steelhead brown smallie there a chance for some kind of bite. Don't be afraid to try whatever you like lure wise you never know. I've been out when i thought it would be to cold and have still had a blast.

We will be meeting at the old meigs field terminal building 9 am sat on 4 / 18, there should be ample free parking at that location.Since this our clubs first lake Michigan outing,we will just have to experiment and find the pattern that works

Ed B

Guest rich mc

i saw photos on another site that coho were hittin crawlers 4ft down on bobbers and also hittin fire tiger colored spoons.. time for a wonder worm! sorry i cant go. im working in the morning and fishing the walleye open at shabbona later. good luck rich

You could ride with me. I live downtown at Monroe and 90/94. I'm not sure how long I will be there though... depends on the action and any hunger issues that might pop up ;)

Thanks for the offer, Brandon . . . have decided to drive in order to give myself flexibility in departure time. Steve

i saw photos on another site that coho were hittin crawlers 4ft down on bobbers and also hittin fire tiger colored spoons.. time for a wonder worm! sorry i cant go. im working in the morning and fishing the walleye open at shabbona later. good luck rich

Hey, Guys . . . I've got a dozen or so crawlers, so will bring along. Happy to share . . . you need only ask (and show your ISA membership card, of course).

I ended up walking all the way around the island. I didn't get any bumps, followups, etc. I did see some fish breaking in the main lake... probably trout or salmon chasing bait. Also, I did see some cottontail in the brush, and fairly fresh blood all the way at the end of the sidewalk :unsure: The folks chuckin' bait didn't have anything to report either. I did enjoy a cigar while walking around though :)

In addition to being a little early with 49 degree water, it was sunny & calm making it a much better day for such things as golf.The beauty of the lakefront was worth the trip. I sure hope Daley's ego trip bid for the Olympics fails.We don't need any more development along it.

I was disappointed I was in texas during this outing. Got out today and slayed them. Water temps were 46-48 in area we fished. Me and a buddy had 19 fish between us in 3-4 hours of fishing. 3 fish over 4lbs and the biggest one was a hog a shade under 5lbs. One of the best days I have ever had from shore.

The bite has definitely switched to green pumpkin & charteuese, the silver/red/black got no action today. All baits had glass rattles inserted in the plastics as well. Presented on 1/4 oz hand-poured/hand-tied heads. Only retrieve that produced was an "Erie drag".

Fished some wind blown rock piles I know of from previous outings with clearer water. Found a nice school of fish and brought the bait up from the deep side to top of the rock pile and got banged almost every cast when the bait got to 5-7 fow for about 45 minutes. Everyone else I saw fishing was catching fish as well, smaller ones :)

5lbsmallie.jpg

dink422.jpg

dougsfatty.jpg

fatsmallie422.jpg

Nice fish. I feel the same way, I like to see everyone catchin fish but me catchin the bigger ones. HA

Is the the Hancock or Sear Tower in the background.... HA

I think I am going to photo shop in the sub from the museum....

Ronk. A net is a good idea. Even if just in case you hook a brown, steelhead coho etc.. I had to lay down and lean precariously over the wall to grab those fish yesterday and was definitely wishing for a net. And anyways a net seems to lend itself to a sense of optimism. Always nice to start with.

Oh and by the way I'm sitting here typing this and looking out the window at the lake to see two guys in a bass boat hitting a breakwall in the harbor hard for about the last two hours It'd be nice if I had some binoculars to see how there doing.

haha fools hitting the breakwalls fishing 20-25 fow when the fish are in a different place. I see it a lot and tell them they look like they're having fun and doing a good job and what a nice boat they have to stroke their ego's when they roll by in the 40k bass boats catching dinks. Break walls are nice summertime spots. If I had a boat I probably wouldn't make it past northerly island right now, what with all those rocky points and shallow 5 fow corner flats and old roadbeds I have a hard time moving locations when I know there are fish where I am at. Those shoals/reefs a bit to the south should be turning on right about now as well, more the outside drop off edge when the wind is blowing the right direction. I can't even imagine what is going on down south in the cal harbor area.

Yeah I get pissed at anyone fishing the lakefront for bass without a net. I feel like pushing them in the water. Only thing you're going to do fishing for bass along the lakefront without a net is screw up a nice big fish or drown yourself trying to get it out of the water without one. No such thing as hoisting anything over 3lbs up those walls.

Here is doug's other hawg

dougsfatty2.jpg

Again sorry for the blue backgrounds. Some of the areas traffic has increased to the point I haven't been able to hit spots I've wanted to the past few years. It has been my experience when you're the only one doing something it tends to attract unwanted attention as others try to duplicate that experience.

I'm an emotional guy for sure, didn't mean to name call or direct that towards anyone at all just an observation I see that has a simple fix. I guess I just can't stand the frustration to lose fish over 4lbs and don't see how the laws of physics would allow such a catch to be hoisted minimum 6ft in the area's I fish. Even if you did get it up I bet you'd destroy whatever part of the mouth/gullet you hooked him in. A solution less than $20(henry's has one that will work for 19) is too easy not to do. A lot of these fish I feel fortunate to get in the net.

Actually saw a guy in a boat today doing exactly what I woulda been doing and he was catching fish too :D