Epoxy head craft fur minnows

I came upon some different craft fur that seems to be longer and more silky with less under fur than others I've tried so I whipped up a few different epoxy head minnows. Sorry John, it didn't come from the land of the Vols. These are weighted and seem to have a nice undulating movement in my test tank (wash tub). I'm curious what color combinations would my fellow ISA members most want to try if given a choice ???

IMG_2066.jpg?t=1265904542

IMG_2071.jpg?t=1265904695

Guest rich mc

very nice. i would have the chart over white but add a little flashabou extending past the tail. the blueovr white is a shabbona color but would dd a top wing of peacock crystal flash. another color is gray over white. what hooks are those?

I'm curious as to where you got the craft fur. I bought some at a Bass Pro that was marketed by Rumpf (packaged specifically for fly tying), but have found most synthetics to be available cheaper & in larger quantities from hobby stores and/or craft stores. I've looked at Hobby Lobby but their craft fur is too short for most tying use. The Rumpf fur is ideal as it is 3-4 inches long, but I'm still looking to find it somewhere else cheaper & in larger peices.

No, I'm not cheap, just laid-off & on a low budget! :lol:

Brian

Those will catch fish in cold water for sure. Any color. I'd be concerned about missing a lot of fish with the short shank hook using float and fly technique, but don't know if they would. When water warms up, shouldn't be a problem.

Punisher lures sells many colors of craft fur.

Rich, the hooks are the old Mustad 3366. A nice all around hook that Mustad never realized as a flyfishing hook because it's sold in boxes of 100 for a very reasonable price. A couple swipes with a file and the hooks will be plenty sharp although right out of the package, they aren't as sharp as the newer chemically sharpened hooks.

Btw, what's a Shabbona, isn't that an old song by the Knack :)

Be careful - Craft fur and craft hair are NOT the same thing!!! What Punisher sells down in TN is CRAFT HAIR!! In most cases, craft hair is what you want for tieing. Craft fur is usually much shorter than the hair and has a completely different consistency and movements in the water.

If you are looking for the best price, Punisher is the best!! You get a ton for $2 a card.

OK, I'll bite. What's the difference between craft hair and craft fur? (Insert punchline here).

But seriously, would a picture help show the difference. I think of craft hair as the stuff on the toy trolls from the 80's. Craft fur I think of as being crinklier. Craft hair comes in a patch, as if it were a hide (poor trolls), while craft fur comes hanked. Am I on the right track here?

Yes...........and no. You are right that pure craft hair is the stuff that came of the troll dolls from the 80's. But craft fur does some times come as a patch, as does craft hair. Craft fur is much stiffer than craft hair. You have to see both of them side by side and in the water to truly appreciate the differences.

John,

I've got a few cards of Punisher craft hair that I plan on giving you at the next meeting. This new stuff, although labeled craft "fur" is not only longer than the Punisher and just as soft as the Punisher hair (much softer than my card of black Punisher hair) but there are a lot more long fibers to work with. This stuff will make excellent pike flies as well.

the pink over white fly below is a Punisher hair fly, just about as long as I could make it. The other is the new craft fur fly and I trimmed it back or could of even made it slightly longer. Also notice the greater fullness of the of the one fly, simply because of the greater number of longer fibers that I could use vs. the Punisher. Now, this may not be an advantage and I might of made these flies too full, as I do like the transparency of the thinner flies. We'll hopefully

Well, I got out on the river for about a half hour this afternoon and the chartreuse over white seduced one nice bull bluegill, one slab crappie, and one small largemouth but no smallies. Oh well, it's early, the waters high and stained but that thing does show up like a neon sign that says, "come get me"