If you only had one lure ?

dholschuh

Hey, Jim . . . how do you add a bluegill flavor to a swim jig? Surely you don't catch a bluegill first and the rub its side on swim jigs!?! That said, I trust there is a bluegill flavor spray, correct?

Hey, Jim . . . how do you add a bluegill flavor to a swim jig? Surely you don't catch a bluegill first and the rub its side on swim jigs!?! That said, I trust there is a bluegill flavor spray, correct?

Who's to say that I don't catch bluegills and rub them on my jigs? Wow, that sounded all wrong! :rolleyes: Ok, I'll say it.... I don't do that. Really!

No Steve, it's just another way, ok maybe it's just my way, of saying "colored." I've never seen bluegill scent, but if I do I will definitely buy some!

If water temps were above 50 a bassbug for rivers. A Sneaky Pete for clear water (a Jude would be good too) or a noisy bassbug like a Blockhead for murkier water.For colder water temps which requires subsurface flies a Meat Whistle.If restricted to only one regardless of conditions a bassbug which could also go subsurface with a splitshot or sinking line.I prefer bassbugs for rivers not only because they're more fun to fish and make for more exciting strikes but because on average they'll produce larger fish. By the way for a number of years there's been a trout fishing tournament called " the one fly."Only one fly can be used. If lost you're done.

I'd have to go with a 2-3 inch white twister tail on a 1/4 white jig head. (I am trying though to try new techniques.) It's a confidence thing.

I would have to add that a 4" watermelon or black w/blue fleck Senko rigged with no weight would be only slightly behind the tube in preference....................................

The one lure thing is such a tough question because the answer depends. My answer is different depending on time of year, water temp, water clairity, forage base in the body of water and if I am fishing up river or down river.

I would say most of the time you can't go wrong with a pumkinseed colored yum crawbug on a charlie brewer sliderhead. Smallmouth feed heavily on crayfish in most bodies of water during most of the prime fishing season. The yum crawbug looks about as realistic as you can get. Put it on a slider head and you can fish it pretty much anywhere. The crawbug is really just a very detailed tube jig so it could be put in that category.

Id have to go with a weightless wacky rigged 5 inch Stik-O in Mardi Gras color with a red Gamakatsu hook. Im partial to it because it caught me a 6 lb largemouth at the end of the season last year. BTW, i throw this using a 6 1/2 foot ultra light rod, ultra light reel, and 4lb mono and have never lost a fish. Second would be a Zoom tube, with a brown body and chart. tail.

• 1 year later...