Menominee Mud Bug

Wearing out my vise as I tie feverishly every night. Constantly on the net looking for new flies to try and replicate. I think I am getting better each passing day, though I get frustrated every so often when I cannot figure out how to do a certain tying skill. But Boy am I having fun!!! :rolleyes:

Here are a couple of flies I have been working on:

197ejt.jpg

The above fly is called the Menominee Mud Bug. I found a picture of this fly on a website. No recipe, but I just took a look and went to work. Have tested it in the sink and it definitely looks like something a smallie might mistake for a craw or other bottom dwelling creature.

54yuk8.jpg

Now, the above fly is a very feeble attempt to replicate one of the flies the GREAT Joe D. sent me. It is supposed to be a crawfish. Did not come out exactly how I wanted it to, but a few parts of the fly came out better than I thought it would. First, the dubbing did not come out too bad. This was my first real attempt at dubbing. Secondly, I like the way the silicone legs are sitting. Not to excited about the deer hair collar. Did not turn out quite like Joe's. I still think I might be able to catch a little river bronze with it.

16hvody.jpg

This last fly is, as many of you know, the Clouser floating minnow. Just whipped this up last night as I finally received the foam bug bodies needed to create the fly. The above picture is without epoxy and glitter, so it is not completely done. This fly looks like it will be fun to use and possibly attract a big brownie.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome...............please. My past fly pictures sure did not elicit much response, though many people viewed the post. C'mon you fly fishermen - help a guy out. Give it to me straight - I can take it. If they look like crap...........let me know!

Guest rich mc

since you are in tying frenzy, here are few ideas. tye two flies and keep one at home to duplicate if it works well when its river tested. if you like how the first fly tyes up then repeat and write down the steps. start an inventory of what you have and need . such as topwater, minnow imitations and bottom bouncing flies. then work on what color and size are needed. then work on an addition to the house so you can hold all the flies and material you need! rich

Youe doing better then me. I started tying about 6 months ago and i mastered the woolly bugger in a few tries. Then i moved on to the Clouser, have tied every color imaginable. I got books telling me how to tie different flies but im not to good at it. A lot of the flies in the books include spinning deer hair which is way over my head. But it gives me something to do during the winter.

At my level of experience, I try to find fly recipes that are, in my opinion, "easy". Kinda in the same class as the wooly bugger and clouser. I must say though that I am starting to show some interest in tougher techniques like spinning deer hair and fancy dubbing procedures. I figure I am not tying my flies to win any contests. Just trying to make flies that will fool the fish.

The fly I worked on tonite is Ehlers P-jig. Fairly simple - basically a fly rod version of a rubber stranded jig that bass anglers have been using for years. I will try to post a pic in the morning.

Here's my 2 cents. Tie some of these.

MyStealth.jpg

This is my take on the Stealth Bomber. I wanted hackle wings since they are one of the few things I do well. It is a 2 for 1 fly. It pops on a hard twitch; it dives on a gentler strip. The foam is very durable.

Kent Edmonds provides good instructions here.

http://www.flyfishga.com/stealth.htm

PS Foam is a great alternative to spinning deer hair.

jonn, the big thing is that you are interested in tying and seem to enjoy it. with that alone you will be tying killer stuff in no time!! what you have looks really good!! believe me I still trow away alot of flies that dont quite turn out like what I had in mind!! there are times I put a hook in the vise and dont know what I'll have until I'm done. thats what I really like to do. I have designed a few patterns that very same way.

Joe

Kent Edmunds is a good ole Georgia boy who can really catch the heck out of stripers and shoal bass. His Stealth bomber is a good one but don't miss the RLD (rubber leg dragon) it works great on shoalies, I'm sure smallies will love it too.

Kent Edmunds is a good ole Georgia boy who can really catch the heck out of stripers and shoal bass. His Stealth bomber is a good one but don't miss the RLD (rubber leg dragon) it works great on shoalies, I'm sure smallies will love it too.

rl_dragon_2.jpg

Looks like you could ringers on this one.