Some New Flies I've Tied

Joe D

Here is what I've been busy doing in this cold weather. There are some glass shrimp, bluegills, deer hair bass bugs (some have lips for a diving action), there are two of my personal boxes, burrowing mayfly nymph, a couple of beemoth grubs, a x-factor swimming nymph, a carp hex, and lastly a couple of damselfly nymphs.

12-12glassshrimp012.jpg

babygills002.jpg

babygills004.jpg

carpsetupandbassbugs007.jpg

carpsetupandbassbugs011.jpg

carpsetupandbassbugs012.jpg

carpsetupandbassbugs013.jpg

carpsetupandbassbugs014.jpg

myflyboxes001.jpg

myflyboxes002.jpg

myflyboxes003.jpg

myflyboxes006.jpg

myflyboxes012.jpg

myflyboxes014.jpg

myflyboxes016.jpg

myflyboxes023.jpg

myflyboxes024.jpg

myflyboxes027.jpg

myflyboxes027.jpg

newdamsels001.jpg

Guest rich mc

a crankbait fly, what's the world coming too.!!! i like the extended body mayfly best. the streamer is very nice but i would have used a larger eye, still has pike written on it. did you do a frog yet? rich

YES, thanks for reminding me I got to get my frog sent in!! I dont have any real frog patterns ,so I just "came up" with one. I wasnt even sure how it was gonna turn out until I was done :blink::lol:

Joe

I have high hopes for that crank fly or whatever it is. I'm looking for just a little bit of a diving action, not a real crankbait effect. I think twitching it along the surface like a injured minnow might get the best results. I dont know, its one of those "fooling around'' at the vise kinda deals. who knows, maybe I've stumbled onto something big :blink: see what cabin fever does to people????

Joe

Nice flies Joe!

I'm not a big fan of lipped flies unless there is a swivel somewhere on the tippet. Lipped flies have a tendency to spin and twist up the leader so for awhile I'd add a 00 swivel about 18" up the tippet. Seemed to work okay but I started tying the little fence riders (mini-dahlberg divers) and tying them on with a loop knot. They dive and wiggle like a small crankbait and don't twist up my tippet. Work just fine on bass and pike too.

Have you checked out the recent article in Fly Tyer magazine, there's a nice how-to pattern in there about using razor foam to create segmented bodies on stonefly nymphs. I tied up a couple of dragon fly nymphs with the stuff and they look pretty good in black and olive. Nice material to work with and has a little more body to it than some of the latex/vinyl stuff out there. Also adds some buoyancy to the fly which can be countered with bead heads or weight to create a fly that suspends.

If you're looking for a good frog pattern I suggest that you check out Peter Sang's sinking and floating frogs. Also there's the foam frogs that I have had great success with, they're from the company that makes foam cutters and they come in two sizes, small and bigger. You add rubber legs tie on the top and bottom, decorate with markers and as they say in France, "Voila, une frog!" Or something close.

stuart, I've been using razor foam for a while now , it does make great bodies. I'll try to get some pics up.

john, all those things are is thread, fur and feathers, throw them in the water!!!!

Joe

jonn, that razor foam stuart is reffering to is what the bodies on the golden stoneflies I sent you are made of. when I started the razor foam was bright yellow. you can see the belly of the abdomen is still pretty yellow as is in nature, but the top is colored w/ markers to give it a more natural effect. anything that is not bright yellow was done by hand w/ markers and then sealed with flex seal. the wing buds are the same, and I form them with a set of wing burners to make them perfect every time( I cant cut that straight) :lol: . I also make the bodies of my dragon/ damsel flies with foam. and also the bodies of my "sure float hoppers" that way they will never sink, no matter what they float. that foam has 101 uses. speaking of the sure float hoppers, that is a great fly to use with a dropper because it is so boyant you dont have to use such a tiny dropper. you can almost use it like one of those stick on indicators, atleast it has worked for me.

I got to quit talking all this fishing with you guys, I'll never make it till spring at this rate!! :lol::lol: thats ok, we still got the winter run steelies to deal with!! I havent forgotten you john.

Joe

• 1 year later...