Member Poll: Where Did You Sign Up to Join?

Mike Clifford

When I retired in 2000 I decided to find out more about fishing in Illinois.The first place I fished was the Fox River and landed a 17 inch smallie.I never new there were nice smallies in Illinois. I was reading the Outdoor Notebook and spotted the add for the ISA and signed up.First two members I ever fished with are Ken G. and Gary Lange.

Having experienced before many witnesses a 17' smallmouth bass literallly jump into my canoe a few years ago on the KKK while demonstrating an eddy turn to the young men in my Boy Scout Troop, I made a commitment to learn more about this species and contribute my services in the preservation thereof for my three grandsons as well as other youth in the greater Chicagoland area.

Passing by the ISA booth at the Chicagoland Outdoor Show at Rosemont the following winter, I was struck by the compatibility of the ISA goals/missions and my commitment. Have been an ISA member ever since. I then returned to work at the ripe age of 60 and have found little time to join ISA members on the river. Keep up the excellent work . . . one of these days I'll retire again and take up fishing, canoeing and tennis full time.

In those early days we recruited loads of homeless guys to wash car windows and then sneakily give drivers the ISA brochure. We really focused on cars with fishing rods in them. This was all over the city especially on ramps off the Eisenhower.

Occasionally I would don some funky looking clothing and go undercover to help. It's one of the ways I developed a new scent to spray on my plastics.

Ahhh those early days were exciting.

I think you may have borrowed a few of my old fishing shirts for those undercover missions. Prolly enshrined in a place of honor in your office.

I was looking to learn about fly fishing at the Bloomington outdoor show and someone pointed me to the ISA display, probably 6-8 years ago. I knew a couple of the guys there and they got me the application.

• 1 month later...
Guest OldBamboo

I just joined today (Dec.26, 2008) from right here on the Smallmouth Alliance Site.

Greg Coffey is like a member of our family and we have fished with him many times.

After reading some of the posts by different members I'm sure I will enjoy being here.

I've been fishing with Fly Rods for 60 years and enjoy it as much as Bird/Duck/Goose hunting.

• 3 weeks later...

Rosemont '06 Rego and Jozwiak ( especially Jozwiak ) verbally beat me into submission......................................

Met a fishing buddy named Kevin Dells off of a fishing website called CLF I think. Fished with Kevin a few times and he went on and on and on about the ISA and all the great things they do. Verbally beat me into submission is a good way to describe it for me too. Turned out I was a smallmouth junkie and it was a good fit. I wonder what Kevin is up to these days?