Edwards River?

BenW

Anyone know anything about the Edwards river? It looks like it has some good flow down by rte 17 but I have not fished it yet. Was thinking of going maybe next week. Was wondering if it is large enough to canoe down by the Mississippi and wondering if there are smallies in it?

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know anything about the Edwards river? It looks like it has some good flow down by rte 17 but I have not fished it yet. Was thinking of going maybe next week. Was wondering if it is large enough to canoe down by the Mississippi and wondering if there are smallies in it?

WolfB,

Hope you got a chance to check it out. The Gazateer says it has smallmouth! Please post with what you discovered! It is always nice to hear about new waters!

Mark O'Donnell

WolfB,

Hope you got a chance to check it out. The Gazateer says it has smallmouth! Please post with what you discovered! It is always nice to hear about new waters!

Mark O'Donnell

I have not been able to make it down there yet. I did pass it going to the big New Winsor rodeo the other night. Where I passed it did not look very good. It was about 4 feet wide :( . Closer to the mississippi about 20 smaller streams empty into it so it is probably better there. I'll go in a few more weeks. My next 2 weekends are going to be busy.

Well,I went to the Edwards river yesterday. To call it a river is to call my garden hose a creek. The river looks like its one of those rivers that in spring might have some water or when it rains flash floods. As for fishing of course i tried for an hour by the rt 17 bridge. I did not catch a thing. I did see a bunch of big carp and a few redhorse. The river was mostly 4"- 18" deep very slow with a mostly sand mud bottom.

I then went to coon creek which is about 6 miles away. It was pretty much the same as the Edwards.