A fly fisherman is born!

Jonn Graham

I never thought about it, but Eric makes a very valid point there. The new dimension definitely adds to a guide service. As for me, I'll stick to the basics. Ain't no sense messing up a good thing right? There lurks a certain mischievous evil in the art of flies. Jim's and Norm we must not falter. Crank or Die! :lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonn, I got a nice combo with a TFO Lefty Krey Professional 8 weight and Cabela RLS reel for $150 ( it was a special in the spring). I was able to try out three rods in the parking lot at Cabela's. If you get the right salesperson and go on a week night when they aren't so busy, it shouldn't be a problem. I would also recommend a line weight of one more than your rod weight; e.g. a 9 weight line for an 8 weight rod.

Have fun!

Emoticons? NEVER

I call first dibs on buying Benedict Arnold's lure collection.

Benedict Arnold was a very brave man.

Jim- You read flyfishing magazines. You dress like a fly fisherman. You've been seen in flyshops. You were president of a fish club that kind of modeled itself after Trout Unlimited. Face it. You are a flyfisherman without a flyrod.

It's time you came out of the closet.

Guest rich mc

in regards to up lining.i find it best to stick to the weights marked . once you are familiar with how the line and rod work, along with the flies you are throwing. then make the decision to upline.i think most upline to make up for not loading the rod properly. and with uplining , its best to have a spare spool rigged with a higher weight line or sink tip or sinking line. then if you need to change just pop in the spool.

Overline by a weight is best suited to the larger wt. rods or the very fast tip flex rods. A 6 wt. which bends into the middle of the rod ( medium or progressive action) will not handle long casts with a 7 wt line. Also at 6 to 7 wt the gap(# of grains) becomes larger making the effect worse. Add to that many lines such as Rio clouser & outbound are really 6 1/2 wt. Don't be in a hurry to overline & do not buy your only or first line for a rod oversize. Lefty Kreh says that at times underlining a rod will make it perform better. Its complicated by the rod action, skill & needs of the caster & lenght of cast & size of fly.

Overline by a weight is best suited to the larger wt. rods or the very fast tip flex rods. A 6 wt. which bends into the middle of the rod ( medium or progressive action) will not handle long casts with a 7 wt line. Also at 6 to 7 wt the gap(# of grains) becomes larger making the effect worse. Add to that many lines such as Rio clouser & outbound are really 6 1/2 wt. Don't be in a hurry to overline & do not buy your only or first line for a rod oversize. Lefty Kreh says that at times underlining a rod will make it perform better. Its complicated by the rod action, skill & needs of the caster & lenght of cast & size of fly.

This is very good advice. Especially regarding the Clouser lines.

If you're purchasing a rod for Smallies, get a fast action. Over-lining is not an issue then.

I purchase only fast action rods in everything from 5wt. on up. I have medium/fast for my trout rods and one 3wt that is a medium action for dry fly fishing only, which allows for a more delicate presentation. Most of my trout on a dry have been caught within 30' from my casting position...

The fact that flyline mfrs have begun to increase the weight of the line within a given line weight as John l mentions in his post seems to me to be a tacit admission that overlining has been a good practice all along.The new line weight configurations now make it unnecessary to lineup provided you're using one of the lines with the new weights such as the clouser/outbound lines.I just started using a 7wt airflo extreme distance line with my 6wt rod hoping it would improve hooksets since unlike other lines it doesn't stretch. It casts rabbit strip flies and big blockhead bassbugs like a rocket.I've always linedup regardless of the rod weight and have found that doing so was actually most beneficial in the lighter 2-4 weight rods for distance casting and for dealing with wind.For short distance casting where delicacy is important as often in trout fishing overlining should not be done.

Ron

Who manufactures the airflo extreme line?

Airflo is made in England. They make 2 types of distance lines, the Distance and the 40 Plus Extreme Distance, the latter having a thinner running line first employed by the legendary Lee Wulff many years ago when he designed the excellent Wulff TriangleTaper flyline.The thinner line carries farther but is more susceptible to tangling.Cabelas carries it.I wouldn't recommend Airflo lines with finer tippets 4x or above as typically needed for trout since while the lack of stretch should improve hooksets with the bigger flies and heavier tippets used for tough mouthed bass and saltwater species it would likely cause more breakoffs with the finer tippets.Even if it causes more breakoffs with the heavier tippets it could be a net plus since I believe more fish are lost from poor hooksets than from breakoffs in the long run.However I have recently lost several big smb to breakoffs since I started using it which at this point I'm attributing to coincidence.If this continues I will go back to traditional flylines that stretch.

Run Jonn run! This way lies madness! Once your hooked your hooked for life. Save yourself now. Flee! Run! Don't even think about those bent rods, get out while there's still time! Good Luck buddy. Ed, way out there in California.