^^^

Guest Don R

Now that the grandkids are gone, I can finally sit down at the computer! I thought the walk we took along the bank was exhausting, but those kids can really wear you out in a hurry.

I finally got my "outing skunk" off today. And I'd like to thank Scott F and Phil F for showing me a different location and some new water. Bouncing tubes along the rocks in the seams of the eddies was the ticket for the day, although I picked up my first fish, a 14 1/2"er on a rattle trap. My biggest was 16" the sucked in a tube. I ebded up with 4 smallies for the day, and would have been happy with just the one. Scott caught a bunch, and Phil caught a bunch more. Phil's biggest went 18 1/2" I'll post a pic of it tomorrow. I'll let them fill in the blanks themselves.

BTW, alank.... another way to avoid a major backlash with your baitcasting reel, is to make sure you don't set your tackle pack behind you, or anything else for that matter. Once you hook that object with the backcast it's all over. I'll be cutting that mess out and respooling tomorrow! ;)

That was Phil Fiscella demonstrating the slider/tube rigging technique. He put it to good use catching around 15 smallies while he was with me and Jim Kast with the biggest at 18.5 inches. Jim has a photo of that one.

Here is Jim with one that he got that was 16 or 16.5, I'm sure he can tell you what size it was.

Between us we had 26. Maybe a third came from right next to the bank and most of the rest were caught on the slow side of a current break that was about 15 feet or so from the bank near a big eddy.

What a great day . Its nice when the weather cooperates. Nice meeting new memebers and seeing old ones. Ending haveing a pretty good day/totales 15 fish/all out of area 7. Most on 5" grubs/two on cranks and 3 on a swim bait. Biggest was a 16" on a swim jig. All caught on seams working slowley. The carp are sure tearing things up/I almost through a sammy at some of that surface turmoil. Raymond k

Sounds like you guys had a great day and outing! Nice to see a bunch of fish caught. It seems to me that this was one of the best Kank outings in a long time as far as catching.

Good job and thanks to Don for heading this up.

Norm and I picked up another good bunch of fish in the afternoon. Almost all of these were out in the current with just a few next to wood. Very lite bites out in current and you had to let them run for a long time before you set the hook. Caught all of mine on tubes. Had a great day it was nice to see some old faces and meet some new ones. Hope to make it up again in a few weeks we can meet for breakfast.

Phil

Sounds like I missed out on a really good outting.I would've come but having fished the previous 3 days in a row I needed a break.

Needed a break from fishing? :blink: You retired guys have it rough!

Great day, and great weather after a foggy and rainy start.

kankouting408-1.jpg

(Cameraphone, sorry.)

Also managed to update all of the State Park Signs, and replaced one near the flush toilets with new signs and post:

kanksign.jpg

Will be interesting to see how long the Area 7 sign stays up before some dirtbag rips it down again.

Sounds like I missed out on a really good outting.I would've come but having fished the previous 3 days in a row I needed a break.

I've fished 34 out of the last 36 days,only took two days off to pick up trash with my son.

I asked him what he wanted to do and both days he told me we needed to clean the river and give back some time to the river gods.

I really wish Mike and Don had caught more fish than me, that always makes my day seeing the guys I'm with do well.

Phil,

Unless there is a major upset to my plans, I'm going to revisit that stretch on Tuesday and try a couple variations on the theme.

Please tell your son 'thank you' from me for his efforts. ;)

And tell him 'welcome aboard' to the ISA!

Norm's son is our newest member. Always good to see more of the younger generation getting involved in conservation.

His new member packet went out today! :)

Thanks guys , he will appreciate it. We hit Prairrie Creek and both sides of the Island Park in Wilmington for another cleanup after school today. He was really mad about the mess he found at one of the spots, we had to go back to the car and get a 50 lb bag for all the crap. :angry:

We hit Rock Creek on the way home only got 1 grocery bag of trash but saw 6 out out 7 beds without a fish on them. Them beds been there two days , only had 12-14 inch males at best on them some idjit harvested them. :angry::angry::angry:

Thanks guys , he will appreciate it. We hit Prairrie Creek and both sides of the Island Park in Wilmington for another cleanup after school today. He was really mad about the mess he found at one of the spots, we had to go back to the car and get a 50 lb bag for all the crap. :angry:

We hit Rock Creek on the way home only got 1 grocery bag of trash but saw 6 out out 7 beds without a fish on them. Them beds been there two days , only had 12-14 inch males at best on them some idjit harvested them. :angry::angry::angry:

I'm seriously considering strategic placement of a couple more signs on Rock Creek, but I'd like some feedback first.

There are some other options to abate poaching here as well.

This smallmouth nursery is not the only one important to the Kankakee River population for this species, but it is one of the most significant.

Speaking of this, anyone know when the concession stand opens for the year?

The place was mobbed last Sunday, not a parking space to be found up there.

People everywhere.

Every group I passed wondered why they couldn't get their kids something to chew on.

You'd think one person's salary for a day like this would be more than covered and a profit realized.

Water fountains still don't work, not sure if the vending machines were stocked.

This is unacceptable and must (will) be addressed.

It must be common to see this among all of the watersheds our members fish, so we need to put our heads together to solve the problems or at least lessen the impact of the obvious (money and staff reductions).

Sunday:

sp1.jpg

sp2.jpg

sp3.jpg

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH

I just thought of something illegal that we can do.

With the concession stand not open, we should have the ISA selling (for a donation) food, Bottled water, candy bars, all kinds of stuff.

I smell an extra $500 easy on a busy Saturday......

Hey Norm...if you're going for the sexy mud flap silhouette pose, you still have some work to do. :lol:

Jude ,

Just keeping a low profile is all. I didn't want to block the view of all those handsome guys behind me.

The concession stand and the vending machines are let out on contract to a vendor by the state. It's up to the vendor to get it open and keep the machines stocked.

The drinking fountain hasn't been working since Blago came to office , coincidence ????

If the ISA could find someone willing to put in the necessary time to run the operation, they might be able to put in a better bid. The question is who is going to give up fishing to sit inside and see others going out?

I'll do my own volunteering, thank you very much! :P

I thought maybe it would help you in your role as new member officer by putting you in a spot to recruit new members. Besides if you are going to snag backpacks instead of hooking fish....... :rolleyes::lol: