^^^

Guest Don R

Suggestions for lures and gear.

Bring your waders, even if it's too high to wade they will keep the mud off you while you walk the banks and you may need to get a bit wet to skirt some downed trees and such.

I prefer medium action spinning gear with 15 lb McCoys Mean Green.

Crankbaits- Old style Bandits mostly 200's and 100's, Shad Raps or similar type baits you prefer.

Rattlebaits- Rattlin Raps and the newer Rattletraps with the oval split ring is what's in my box.

Suspending Hard Jerks - X-Raps, Husky Jerks and Suspending Rogues

Topwaters- whatever turns you on, Not a high priority bait but still fun when it's on

Soft Plastic Jerks - Flukes and Sluggos

Cigar type Plastics prefer Case Magic Stix but Stinkos I mean Senkos ok

Spinnerbaits- I prefer single spins with an Indiana blade but use what you have confidence in, bring a buzzbait

Spinners- Mepps, Blue Fox , Panther Martin whatever you like. I don't use them much, when I do it's a size 5 Mepps Musky Killer

Jigs- I prefer Mr Twister Weighted Keeper hooks. Charlie Brewer Classic Spider heads, Darter heads have thier aps. Don't use ball heads except for insert on tubes, some guys like Jobees. Bring Swim jigs if you have some.

Plastics- 5inch Kalins or Fat Alberts Twister tails, Power Pulse Worms, 5-6 inch beaver tail worms,5 inch tubes or shorter if that's what you have confidence in,BPS Stikos or Walleye/Bass Assassains but if like have confidence in something use it.

Still not too hot for vest or bring whatever type of chest pak you dig.

Sunglasses, hook hone, clippers on lanyard, pliers. Tape measure and/or camera if you are into it.

Cell phone reception can be very spotty to non existant.

Ball Cap, short sleeve shirt,Knit hat and gloves, warm shirt, poly pro, coat wool socks. Not even the weatherman knows which way the wind blows.

Stick a half dozen plastic shopping bags in your pocket and fill them with trash on your way out.

I know the river is already running high and fast and the weatherman is calling for more rain, but come out anyway. The Kankakee has miles of fishable shoreline. The bass are likely to be holding tight to the banks to stay out of the fast current.

While we're there, I hope we can make some time to put up some of our new yellow catch & release signs.

Anybody want to meet for breakfast first?

Sure.

Bakers Square on Rt. 50 in Bradley?

I've got signs, hardware, posts, cordless drill and a post pounder for an after-party for anyone interested.

If anyone would like to earn an ISA volunteer pin after fishing and doesn't already have one, I will have those with as well.

Breakfast, fishing and a little conservation.....everything the ISA stands for wrapped up nicely in one day.

All these years, and I never knew that the ISA stood for breakfast. After all it only makes sense though. Better check to make sure the Baker's Square is still in business. The one here closed it's doors on April 2nd. An inside source told me that they're closing 88% of all their shops! <_<

I'll be there no matter where we eat!

All these years, and I never knew that the ISA stood for breakfast. After all it only makes sense though. Better check to make sure the Baker's Square is still in business. The one here closed it's doors on April 2nd. An inside source told me that they're closing 88% of all their shops! <_<

I'll be there no matter where we eat!

You mean you never heard of the "Breakfast Club" ?

Does the new member officer buy breakfast for all the new members? I'll have the steak and eggs.

Sure.

Bakers Square on Rt. 50 in Bradley?

I've got signs, hardware, posts, cordless drill and a post pounder for an after-party for anyone interested.

If anyone would like to earn an ISA volunteer pin after fishing and doesn't already have one, I will have those with as well.

Breakfast, fishing and a little conservation.....everything the ISA stands for wrapped up nicely in one day.

Would that pin go with my conservation tee shirt or the fancy new one I got at the Blowout?

You mean you never heard of the "Breakfast Club" ?

Of course I've heard of the Breakfast Club, and I'm a firm believer in it.... I just never read it in the Mission Statement!

Does the new member officer buy breakfast for all the new members? I'll have the steak and eggs.

Looks like there's gonna be a lot of hungry new members. And I think you should all be buying me breakfast!

Would that pin go with my conservation tee shirt or the fancy new one I got at the Blowout?

It's a pin, Norm..... it's interchangeable! Gotta teach these new members everything! :rolleyes:

I won't be able to make the outing tomorrow, but did get down to the Kankakee Friday with a friend that grew up in Wilmington and his son. We fished for 4 hours and caught 20 fish, 10 of which were smallies. All were caught within a few feet of the bank. The river was up and so was the wind. Water temp was 56 degrees. Al but two of the smallies were caught on minnows and the bit was light. The other two were taken on a shallow running crank bait. Othe fish included rock bass, LM, crappie, and walleye.

11wekb5.jpg

n1v0a8.jpg

Had a great time meeting most of you for the 1st time. Appreciated everyone's help & info on getting us started. Sorry I forgot your name but a special thanks to the guy who showed us how to rig the slider jig and the tube rig. I used the tube rig and caught a 15.5 inch smallie on my 5th cast. Only fish for the day. Joe found a hole and picked up about 2 dozen rock bass. Special thanks also to Ray for taking us to area 7 and getting us started. Looking forward to future events. Bob Skwarski