Wanting to buy new baitcast reel- Quantum Energy PT

Greg C

Greg C, Congrats on that new PT. I handled one this week end and thought it seemed like a very nice reel with a lot of nice features. I hope it does the job for you and causes the smallies in your local waters much grief this season, lol. :D

I just recently purchased a ProLite baitcaster and a 7 ft ProLite finesse rod rigged with 6 lb test Fireline and i have to say i am in love. I have a Rick Clunn baitcaster and Id take the ProLite over it anyday. I like being able to throw really light baits without any problems and the ProLite allows me to do that. I wasnt really a fan of baitcasters till i started using this. The reel is $99 and so is the rod, i got them on sale for a combined $140.

I'm on my second Pro Lite. The first one seized up on me after about 2 1/2 years of heavy use. Yes, I did maintain it regularly. I took it into BPS and they gave me a new one. :huh: I got a Clunn this year and really like it, but I like to throw heavier baits, too. I use the PL for tossing lighter cranks. I also got one of the lessor priced Johnny Morris reels when they were on sale around the first of the year. This is probably the sweetest reel I own.

Paul, I'm not sure how 6lb braid is since the smallest I use is 20lb. I've found it easier to pick out backlashes with braid that with any other type of line. And I've definately picked out a bunch of them! :lol:

Jim,

I agree that braid is pretty easy to pick out. I'm just thinking that the 6lb braid must be the diameter of what- 2lb mono? That would be a challenge to me. LOL- I'd get a lot of practice at it! Good fishing.

Braid versus mono or copolymer, the debate continues!

Don R. fishes Fireline and I usually throw McCoy. Side by side the results vary, though he is spin-fishing and I usually have casting gear. I don't recall him having that many issues while I have always had some and have a strong dislike for the stuff. One point to mention is on the longer casts, I sometimes lose fish due to line stretch (our guess is the hookset is not strong enough) while Don has more positive hooksets. We're talking big boys with tough maws and really long casts when the topwater bite is on. Oh, and I've had the nightmare birdsnests Eric mentioned when you have to cut through to the spool to get them out. When we're in grass and Don gets snagged, the no stretch really comes in handy to rip that lure free, while the stretch of mono working with the flex of the grass can be a pain to free up. I can't argue the increased sensitivity of the braid.

Still, I'll vote copolymer any day. Just personal preference.

Interesting, I've certainly read my share of "Shimbindo" posts concerning their spinning reels but generally speaking Shimano and Daiwa are the standards in casting reels by which others are judged. I have 4 Shimano low pro casting reels and 1 Garcia(Revo STX), all of those reels have performed well. I have read as many bad threads about Quantum casting reels as I have Shimano spinning reels. Some people are initially put off by Quantum because of their roots(Zebco), you have to wade through those snob posts to get to the meat. I think Eric was pretty die hard with Quantum casters and then had an issue, the issue showed a design flaw. Check his posts last year to check it out. Both Quantum and Daiwa do a fine job of offering left wind versions of their current line-up but Shimano seems to lag behind waiting to gauge demand I imagine. If I had a problem with a Shimano product I'd probably post it up on Tackle Tour, they have Shimano and Abu Garcia support forums. As I understand it Quantums generally require being sent to the factory for repairs as getting parts is difficult(ask Coren's).

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going ahead with the Quantum® Energy PTi-A® Spinning Reel, and matching 7' MH rod.

There is a rebate for this purchase by the end of the month as well, and it is already a $50 savings.

It came down to this or the Kevin VanDam series.

Then again, I'm looking at the Falcon rods as well.

I throw primarily heavy cranks, spinnerbaits and jigs....but will likely use the Quantum for those.

Need something for finesse plastics, and hoping to find a Falcon to apply there.

No idea which reel to match that.

OR-

I could get the Quantum reel and try to match it with a MH Falcon.

So many decisions.

Put simply, I have $200 to burn and need a new rod and reel......

<_<