Alternatives to the Weighted Keeper Hook

BrianA

I know this has been a nemesis to more than one smallie guy........the Weighted Keeper alternative.

Another of our members touched on this but I've found a few not listed to expand and possibly help

others out.

The first three carry a middle weighted system that causes the bait to fall <-HORIZONTALLY->

Weighted Keeper Hook by Mister Twister - yes they're not the sharpest but until now their weren't many other

options that handle smaller plastics. Admittedly, some of these still do not but they may work well on the

bigger baits too.

Mustad Power-Lock - pricey for 3 (about $4 plus) but you wouldn't want one stuck in your hand!

Sizes - 1/0 - 5/0 and the 1/0 can handle a 3-4 inch plastic grub-craw-worm - all in 1/8 ounce

Owner Weighted TwistLOCK - pricey also for 3-4 hooks but carries mortal wound capabilities if stuck in your artery-

Sizes - 3/0 @ 1/16 ounce - 4/0 @ 1/8 ounce - 5/0 @ 1/8 ounce - these would be great for the bulkier plastics

definitely the Hula Grubs/Skirted Grubs - Hawgs - larger worms -

Stanley Wedge Head Hook - this looks Slider-ish but with a twister-lock system in place - weight forward that causes

the bait to fall v VERTICALLY v

Sizes - 4/0 - 5/0 both in 1/8 ounce - I see real possiblities for Hula Grubs/Skirted Grubs - Hawgs - and Creature Baits

but again their design ignores us YANKEES who fish the smaller stuff.

Lets try and road test a few of these - I'm going to leave the box and try the OWNER & MUSTADS although I can buy

almost 2 - LEW's topwaters for what I'll spend on 3-4 hooks. OUCH - Maybe that's why I don't use LUCKY CRAFT Topwaters

I still can't climb trees in my stinkin' waders!!!!

Like a guide once told me after repeated casts w/ my jig & twister to numerous trees..."Let me know if they're bitin' up

there - we'll have to change tactics a bit"

I feel your pain, Brian. I've been using weighted keepers for quite a while, and am always looking for an upgrade. I look forward to hearing about your field trials.

Guest rich mc

hey guys, take it from a fly tyer. why not add lead wire to the hooks of the size you want. they can be wrapped with thread to allow the plastic to slide over the weight. wire tabs can be left on to add extra hold of the plastic put the weight where you want it on the hook will give you other options. rich

hey guys, take it from a fly tyer. why not add lead wire to the hooks of the size you want. they can be wrapped with thread to allow the plastic to slide over the weight. wire tabs can be left on to add extra hold of the plastic put the weight where you want it on the hook will give you other options. rich

Good tip Rich. I went to Cabelas this weekend and they had these thin lead strips that come in a conveinent match book. I want to say it was only 99 cents for a pack of 20. They look great for weighting down plastic jerkbaits like a fluke.

Guys,

I take the sinkers with the rubber line inserts to use on the shanks for weight. I remove the rubber materail and place the shank of the hook in the split in the sinker.

Apply pressure to crimp closed and apply a touch of super glue.

If your looking for a worm keeper try a small spring crimped in the hook eye. Give about 4-6 turn and cut off the remainder. This will allow you to spike or twist a plastic worm, tube, swimbait, etc in a weedless configuration between the eye and point.

All good thoughts men.

I like the idea of the crimped lead on the hook - then I can use any type of hook from an Eagle Claw Laser Sharp on

the less expensive end up to the Gama (I can't remember the spelling)-blessu's. I fussed w/ these crimp on bullet weigths but

they are too small and finicky - good for the line ahead of a bait but not for on the hook shank. I have seen solder

wrapped also - great trick for weighting a Snag-Proof frog or Rat bait that's hollow.

Saw in this month's BASSMASTER how they use a pen-spring and cut it in 2 to make bait keepers - that was probably

a very creative guy or one w/ waaaaay too much time on his hands. He should be painting crankbaits or tying flies

to pass all that time but the tip was pretty good.