Question: Bassbuggers' Answer to Eric's Thumper

Mike G

You do not need me to tell you that Eric has been putting some impressive numbers lately. He has been smokin' 'em on a white Thumper.

We know that our fly boxes contain flies that can do everything a Thumper can do and more. I have a few in mind that I will get to, but I would like to see what others think first. So what is our fly equivalent of the Thumper?

BTW This is what Eric's Thumper looks like :rolleyes:

.........................99876.jpg

I am planning to purchase a setup and try my hand at fly fishing next season, at least part time and in select situations. I think it will be a great challenge, a nice diversion, and hopefully a relaxing as well as a great learning experience. I'm very interested in everyone's repsonses to the excellent points Eric has posted. In addition, if I went out today and fly fished, how should I approach the cold water season?

Guest One More Cast
You do not need me to tell you that Eric has been putting some impressive numbers lately. He has been smokin' 'em on a white Thumper.

We know that our fly boxes contain flies that can do everything a Thumper can do and more. I have a few in mind that I will get to, but I would like to see what others think first. So what is our fly equivalent of the Thumper?

BTW This is what Eric's Thumper looks like :rolleyes:

.........................99876.jpg

Cowen's Coyote

Here:

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc-2284-...ens-coyote.aspx

it's on sale and a bitch to cast

George Glazener ties a knock-off (and a pretty crappy one at that) on a jig hoook called a Spinster IIRC.

Joseph

This is somewhat of a dodge, but maybe it's worth mentioning... Casting a weighted line (aka fly fishing) was created to solve a problem: how to I get a tiny weightless lure waaaaay out there? But there just is a point where I gotta admit that I'm casting a weighted lure. Maybe I can overlook it when it's a bugger or a clouser on the end of the line, but eventually I just got say... look ma, no back cast! So this bassbugger's answer to the thumper is... grabbing a spinning rod and casting the thumper.

;)

Guest One More Cast
This is somewhat of a dodge, but maybe it's worth mentioning... Casting a weighted line (aka fly fishing) was created to solve a problem: how to I get a tiny weightless lure waaaaay out there? But there just is a point where I gotta admit that I'm casting a weighted lure. Maybe I can overlook it when it's a bugger or a clouser on the end of the line, but eventually I just got say... look ma, no back cast! So this bassbugger's answer to the thumper is... grabbing a spinning rod and casting the thumper.

;)

Not a dodge at all, Jamie. I'm with you.

Joseph

....and I'm the one who posted Todd's Wiggle Minnow :wacko:

;)

you mean casting rod right Eric ;)

My go to fly for smallies is an olive wooly bugger, sometimes bead sometimes not. A bugger or a Clouser's deep.

Cowen's Coyote

Here:

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/pc-2284-...ens-coyote.aspx

it's on sale and a bitch to cast

George Glazener ties a knock-off (and a pretty crappy one at that) on a jig hoook called a Spinster IIRC.

Joseph

Would a couple strips of silver mylar tied to a Clouser minnow, either at the head or off the hook, have a similar effect?

- Kevin

Guest One More Cast

Maybe in the vise but probably not in the water.

The hardware used by Cowen (and Bill Sherer, for that matter) provides more of a sonic footprint than mylar could ever produce.

Joseph

Guest One More Cast
So you guys will be tying the Cowens Coyote sometime soon, I presume? ; )

I'll hold a tying clinic for those just as soon as I get back from the Pope's wedding. ;)

Hope you can make it Mr. Cliff...really it's free.

Joseph

Eric's right. Confidence and experience make a lure effective. Using it in the right situation helps too.

Chatterbait works better for me on a spinning rod. Baitcasters can winch in spinnerbaits easier. I don't like the resistance of a spinnerbait on spinning rods. Chatterbaits are more like a swim jig/crankbait with wicked thump vibration.

I like that you fly guys are looking for answers. Someone somewhere has an answer.

It's a confidence thing.

My guess is you all have your confidence fly and a comfort level in presenting it. There's probably one that is go-to for each of you that you can count on for smallies in various conditions. What do you fly fishers do in dirty water, like after a heavy rain? How about high and fast water? If your answer is to leave the fly rod at home and use other means, there's no shame in that whatsoever. Heck, some don't even go unless it's low and clear. Different strokes for different folks, eh?

No matter what style or lure you prefer, the main thing anyone can do to increase their catch is to turn off the computer and get out to the water.

Since the thread pays tribute to Eric's catches, it is only fair that Eric's own response changes the direction of the play like a blitzing linebacker changing a deep post into a scramble. Eric's coments point out the fallacy of the magic lure. The magic is really somewhere else and it is not really magic. In the fishing equation, the knowledge and skill of the angler are several times more important than the lure or fly. And those two are not developed without TOW, Time on the Water. Good reminder Eric.

Now to keep my word about getting back with my choice, I have to scramble. The choice of lure is still important. A Bassbugger chooses his bugs, like a craftsman chooses his tools. Consider the Thumper a fishing tool. It is very versatile. One can wake it across the surface, retrieve at various speeds below the surface, yo-yo it up and down the water column, and slow roll it anong the bottom. It is a buzzbait, a spinner, a crankbait, and a jig. It could take more than one fly to do all that. But if I could have only one, I would take a Hairy Fodder in white. IT is a jig, rattle bait, bunny with a silicon skirt.

I don't have a picture of a white Hairy Fodder; so I doctored a picture of a dark colored one to give the idea :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I will be tying some this Winter using these excellent instructions from the DRIFT site.

http://dupageriversflytyers.org/DRIFT03fly...p?In_fly_nbr=57

And those two are not developed without TOW, Time on the Water.

How true Mike. I was just going to make this comment on another thread.

This has been a phenomenal year of fishing for me personally. Fishing with guys like Don R., Tim N. and even the few times I got together with Eric has had a great impact. So does studying the great threads on this site. There are a lot of adept fishermen sharing lots of valuable information. I simply don't invest the time that I used to be able to do, and pairing up with the guys who pay their dues to the river Gods pays big dividends. TOW is not just about finding the "spots", its about being able to recognize and evaluate a combination of fluctuating elements (water levels & temps, forage bases, seasonal movements, etc), putting them together and developing a pattern each time out on the water.

I am planning to purchase a setup and try my hand at fly fishing next season, at least part time and in select situations. I think it will be a great challenge, a nice diversion, and hopefully a relaxing as well as a great learning experience. I'm very interested in everyone's repsonses to the excellent points Eric has posted. In addition, if I went out today and fly fished, how should I approach the cold water season?

The best approach would be nymph fishing using the high sticking method. Basically it's J.G.'s float n' fly approach with fly gear.

Guest One More Cast

Mike G, here's a better link to the Hairy Fodder:

http://georgiariverfishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6094

The link to the DRIFT page shows the original as tied by Craig a couple of years ago, the one I provided from GRF shows the updated fly using UV Polar Chenille.

and here's the White/Silver UV Polar chenille:

http://www.hareline.com/new web picture/PCUV1.jpg

and the Dyed UV Polar Chenille:

http://www.hareline.com/07jpgs/pcuvdyed.jpg

Craig demonstrated the updated one at one of the 4th Monday events last year. We should probably offer it for one of our Thursday Night Jams

Joseph

We know that our fly boxes contain flies that can do everything a Thumper can do and more. [end quote]

that was a joke right?

I don't think there is anything in anybody's flybox anywhere that can put out the vibration, flash and profile of a half ounce spinnerbait.

You would be lucky to duplicate a Beetle Spin, which is what that Coyote thing resembles. not in the same class.

And it's not only the bait. The guy is deadly accurate with that baitcaster, which is critical to the presentation because he can slow that half ounce or so of lead and metal down prior to a slash free, silent entry. That bait is right in front of the fishes nose before he has a chance to think about it. If you never saw him in action it's pretty impressive. He can seriously cast like Kevin Van Dam or any of the pros.

I suppose you could tie a fly that might look like a spinner bait, but it certainly ain't gonna act like one.

How would you possibly put out the vibration of of that blade, which is the key component of the lure?

Guest One More Cast
I don't think there is anything in anybody's flybox anywhere that can put out the vibration, flash and profile of a half ounce spinnerbait.

How would you possibly put out the vibration of of that blade, which is the key component of the lure?

Quite right, Mark.

This was Mike G's original question:

So what is our fly equivalent of the Thumper?

This was his criteria:

.Consider the Thumper a fishing tool...... It is a buzzbait, a spinner, a crankbait, .

The Hairy Fodder is one hell of a fly. Other than the fact that your (doctored) photo shows a Fodder in White to match the Thumper, how is your Fodder going to achieve your criteria? It certainly won't do the things listed in your criteria that the crappy old Cowen's Coyote could with it's blade.

Why try and re-invent the wheel? Pick up a baitcaster and a Thumper and be done with it.

Joseph

Mark and Joseph,

The Hairy Fodder is my best shot. If I had the perfect answer, I would not have asked the question a while back.

Originally, since I figured some Bassbuggers were reading Eric's posts regularly, someone might make a suggestion if I asked. Right away Eric pointed out that it was not about the bait as much as the confidence the angler had in whatever bait he used. That reshaped the question, I think. In my quote below I admit that it could take more than one fly. So I took my best shot. I came up with a confidence fly that does some of the things a thumper can do, "retrieve at various speeds below the surface, yo-yo it up and down the water column, and slow roll it anong the bottom." Now the Coyote, that Joseph contributed, adds a spinner blade to the equation though it does not have the skirt. Having never fished it, I can't say how well it performs the list of tasks and if it is a confidence bait. It is a great answer, however.

"Consider the Thumper a fishing tool. It is very versatile. One can wake it across the surface, retrieve at various speeds below the surface, yo-yo it up and down the water column, and slow roll it anong the bottom. It is a buzzbait, a spinner, a crankbait, and a jig. It could take more than one fly to do all that. But if I could have only one, I would take a Hairy Fodder in white. IT is a jig, rattle bait, bunny with a silicon skirt."

Of course, if the Thumper was the perfect bait, we wouldn't need anything else. We know that it takes more than one fly or lure to fish from top to bottom and to deal with variable conditions. Right now I am happy with how the discussion has gone so far. Though I hope to see more flies nominated, I have learned some things.

I'm honored that others think as highly of my fly as I do but then I'm prejudiced. It is so true that a fly cannot do what a lure can. But if it could, wouldn't it be that lure? I spent most of my time in the ISA fishing with spin fishermen. I learned a lot from them and incorperated it into my flies. The hairy fodder is an exceptionally versital fly. I consider it a spinnerbait, rattle trap, diving bait and jig & pig of fly fishing. Any time or place a spin fisherman would fish one of these baits, I'd throw a fodder. Does it work just like the lures? No, but that's the point, be different. Down here (in Georgia) I have aquired the nickname of the garbageman. We fish the rivers in groups of 3 or 4 guys and I'm usually last in line to the fishing spots and I clean up after them. I usually have the most and the biggest fish. I credit that to the fact that I can play a fodder like a virtuoso and make it do whatever I'd like at any depth and show the fish something new. Will it out fish hardware? Sometimes. But I'm not competing and I'm having fun and I think that is the point. The fact that this calander year I have gotten a 4 lb+ bass of four different species has got to say something about fodders.

• 2 weeks later...