Wednesday Morning Quiz Week 1

Guest One More Cast

Two wrongs do not make a right but three rights makes a left. See you next week. :P

Joseph

Professor,

So far so good. Using a trick question to introduce a topic is classic pedagogy.

Now where is the lesson (meat)?

To make myself clear, though other lesson plans are acceptable, What I had in mind is:

Consider the Zen of Fly Casting:

"Bending and unbending."

"Loading and Unloading."

"Storing energy and releasing energy."

Expand:

Each phrase means the same but says something different.

Resolve:

Sidebar: John Gierarch points out that classic bamboo rods provide a subtile nudge when one tarries a little too long on the back cast. Prompt response to this nudge saves the cast. Mike G. has noticed that his Fiber Glass rods (which slavishly imitated the old bamboo model's actions) provide this same nudge while being more durable and weighing the same. The last frontier is a light, fast graphite rod that will provid this same friendly nudge.

Before I die I hope to see this.

Guest One More Cast
Now where is the lesson (meat)?

It was there, at the casting event. Instead of hiding beind your keyboard imitating a young S. I. Hayakawa you could have come and learned something.....or even better, you could have taught something.

Joseph

.....but thanks for killing the weekly quiz. Nice to know you participated in something, Mike.

It was there, at the casting event. Instead of hiding beind your keyboard imitating a young S. I. Hayakawa you could have come and learned something.....or even better, you could have taught something.

Joseph

.....but thanks for killing the weekly quiz. Nice to know you participated in something, Mike.

Joseph,

Thanks. Being compared to Hayakawa is an honor. We could use more like him.

The life or death of the weekly quiz is beyond my powers. It is up to you, I assume.

I will see you at the Bassbuggers 4th Monday.

Mike

To apply Newtonian physics to the original question, law numbers 1 and 3 perfectly define the answer. “For every bended in the fly rod, there is an equal amount of unbend.

Oh Michael, it if was only that easy. <_<

You and your perfect world of Newton, believing in fairy tales and calling them true... It's so childish. As I'm sure you know, the efficiency of harnessing mechanical energy is less than perfect. So for every bent rod, there is a slighly less amount of unbend. The rest of the energy is released in the form of heat.

So the answer is "unbend... and release heat." :o

If you doubt this, just take a rod and go outside and whip it around for a while. Not only will the rod bend and unbend, but there will also be a slight increase in global temperatures.

Yes, global warming is from too many fly fisherman.

So switch over to spin casting -- or stop with all those false casts -- or the earth is doomed.

Respectfully,

-jamie S

p.s. Really, the actual answer is a rod will "unbend, cause heat, and lead to a multiple web page conversation... Oh yeah, and beers for Tim. :D

And all along I thought my gas guzzling V8 was the main problem. Looks like I've gotta hang up the fly gear....but wait...if I cast for a few minutes everyday inside the house this winter I can decrease the need for the heat pump to come on! Ah....the things one learns on the ISA site. :P Solar energy, photovoltaics, move over, fly casting is the new renewable energy.

Hey Nick, buy those knotless leaders....they are impervious to wind knots!

" inside the house this winter I can decrease the need for the heat pump "

Brilliant!!! :D

"buy those knotless leaders....they are impervious to wind knots! "

The only downside is you can't tie on your fly either. I use duct tape. :)

-j

..............and Flyrodder should chime in here. He can speak to the mechanics of the cast better than I can.

Thank you for the compliment Joseph. I'll have to do this later in the week. I just got back from Arkansas this evening and have to unpack sometime in the next few days (fished the White River and Spring River - wading and pontoon boated the White) And I have a flycasting event for Nequa (SP?) Valley High School tomorrow morning and a funeral service for my cousin (godfather) tomorrow night and a flytying presentation to give on Tuesday at DRiFT and a job interview on Tuesday afternoon. Sooooo, give me a little time and I'll chime in. I just hope with the busy schedule I won't forget to get back to the question. By the way... Joseph is right as much as it pains me to say. :P

The only thing a rod can do of it's own accord is straighten. It's a fundamental that all flycasting is built upon. And for that matter all fishing rods. Even gathering dust requires the dust to settle! A rod... once bent can only straighten.

More Later!

• 9 years later...