Wednesday Morning Quiz Week 1

Guest One More Cast

Guest One More Cast

As quoted at the Cast & Compare Outing, please finish the following:

"The only thing a fly rod can do on it's own is____________"

Joseph

If we're being serious (I know, why start now?) and talking about casting...

While I didn't make the Cast and Compare event, again! :( , I'm gonna guess.

I'd say, "The only thing a fly rod can do on it's own is" to unload, or straighten itself, after being loaded (bent) during the casting stroke.

Guest One More Cast

We have a winner!

The only thing a rod can do on it's own is un-bend.

If your casting stroke (combined with the weight of the flyline out of the tip of the rod) bends the rod....it will un-bend. Better casters can control how, how much and when they bend the rod.

Joseph

The only thing a rod can do on it's own is un-bend.

A rod can't unbend until it's bent just as it also can't fall until it's lifted, gather dust without dust or break in a door without being placed there and slammed.

The rod requires energetic input from an outside actor to complete this action and thus this answer violates the premise of the question.

The examiner is penalized one beer (preferably a dark beer in a glass bottle well chilled and unopened) and forced to fish for carp for a day.

Guest One More Cast
The rod requires energetic input from an outside actor to complete this action

Ah and here is precisely where we agree/disagree. The are the mechanics of the cast can be boiled down to one sentence: "If you bend the rod....it will un-bend."

As flycasters, there are a few things we do/don't do that cause a rod to load more fully. Further, there are a few things that we do/don't do that do not retain the rod load until we want it to un-bend.

What are some of the things we talked about at the Cast & Compare (or other casting events/discussions) that cause the rod to more fully load ?

Joseph

..............and Flyrodder should chime in here. He can speak to the mechanics of the cast better than I can.

Ah and here is precisely where we agree/disagree. The are the mechanics of the cast can be boiled down to one sentence: "If you bend the rod....it will un-bend."

Nah. You're just wrong.

When you add the angler's bend you violate the premise of the question as you asked it.

Two beer penalty for squirming. That gives me three so far. :D

Guest One More Cast

The preface to my question from my original post:

As quoted at the Cast & Compare Outing, please finish the following

Joseph

.....a fishing for Carp is not much of a penalty....kinda like doing that once in a while.

A rod can't unbend until it's bent just as it also can't fall until it's lifted, gather dust without dust or break in a door without being placed there and slammed.

The rod requires energetic input from an outside actor to complete this action and thus this answer violates the premise of the question.

The examiner is penalized one beer (preferably a dark beer in a glass bottle well chilled and unopened) and forced to fish for carp for a day.

Tim,

I feel your pain. The original question is too vague.

"The only thing a fly rod can do on it's own is____________"

Several answers here give the lie to the question itself. On its own the rod can gather dust, get wet, cool after being warmed, and suffer some material decay over time. Therefore there is not only one thing it can do on its own. We see now our instructor wanted to limit the question to what the rod can do on its own during the casting process. But he left that part out and pulled it out of the air later. I think you earned a beer fair and square.

But I do like these questions :( .

Keep them up, Joseph.

Guest One More Cast
But I do like these questions Keep them up, Joseph.

If the two of you promise to read the entire question so as not to embarrass yourselves again, I shall have another question for you next week. :P

Congrats to Al for getting it correct.

Joseph

The preface to my question from my original post:

As quoted at the Cast & Compare Outing, please finish the following...

Being wrong twice doesn't make you right. I think you're just being stingy with the beer.

Three Guinesses would be adequate...although Old Rasputin might be more appropos. ;)

As yes….the true nature of fly casting is revealed. Zen has nothing to do with fly casting…because it’s ALL about the physics. Sir Isaac Newton, the inventor of calculus, defined the 3 laws of motion as such:

1: Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

2. The relationship between an object's mass m, its acceleration a, and the applied force F is F = ma.

3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I have no doubt that if Isaac hadn’t spent so much time trying to change lead into gold, he would have used fly casting to describe the 3 Laws of Motion.

To apply Newtonian physics to the original question, law numbers 1 and 3 perfectly define the answer. “For every bended in the fly rod, there is an equal amount of unbend. One can use Einstien's concept of reference frame to define the uniform motion as a rod at rest and therefore Joseph's orignal question was correctly stated. Tim's back to 2 Guinesses.

To move onto Joseph’s second question, a combination of the first and second laws offers several options. If the same amount of energy is applied to the rod, the same amount of bend results. Hence the same amount of energy is released unbending the rod (law #1). To increase the bend, one needs to increase the energy or force. Therefore, increase mass and/or acceleration increases force (law #2). Over lining and rod isn’t too practical an answer, even though is satisfies the equation; heavier line equals more mass. This leaves an increase in acceleration. To accelerate one’s backcast results in more force. Since acceleration is a vector, we introduce direction and back to the third law we go (i.e. opposite reaction/direction = forward cast).

Oh yes....it's all about the physics.

Too late!! The DTs have set in so badly I"m seeing small animals on Jude's chin!!

AND...

...in every Physics problem you have to set the boundaries of your system. "...on it's own" denotes explicitly a singular system. You can't add energy to the system with another independent actor after you have already excluded the same.

I think I want those guiness served in frosted mugs, please.