Health update

Norm M

Well the angiogram showed 1 artery with 100% blockage , another with 90% blockage and another with less that will be treated with meds . I got 3 stents put in the one that was completely blocked but it did not open it completely . I go back in a month or so to get the 90% blockage worked on .

Part of mt heart was in what they call cardiac hibernation and has scar tissue . Hopefully within 6 weeks I should see some pretty good recovery .

I got 3 more scrips today to go along with my diabetes and cholesterol meds , plus I take an asprin a day . I will be doing this for a good long while on some , others the rest of my life .

I was told I was lucky I wasn't dead , that will give you a pretty good wakeup call .

All I can say is that it is entirely my own fault . I did not take care of myself and I did not get regular checkups which could have caught it much earlier . I owe it all my to my wife who finally convinced me to get checked out .

Do yourself a favor and get your health checked and take better care of yourself with your diet , smoking and drinking . The earlier you change your lifestyle and the earlier you catch the potentially life threatening problems the better off you will be .

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norm

Best wishes to you and give thanks to your wife. It's never too late to start taking care of your body. My brother went through this a few years ago at the ripe old age of 40. Non-smoker, non-drinker, not overweight, active and healthy. Maybe just some bad genes, bad diet and too much stress. He had a big lifestyle change as well. If you stick to the plan, you'll be amazed at the difference it will make.

As you can imagine, I hurried my ass into the doctor on my 40th and luckily got a clean bill of health. I'm due for a return visit. As doc told me then, expect some changes; they don't say you hit the wall at 40 for no reason. I also got my Dad into the doctor for the first time in ages. It took a lot of prodding, hand-holding and legwork, but it was well worth the effort and peace of mind.

Life is worth the effort. Best of luck to you Norm.

I was at the doctor's today where they had a tour through the ol' back door. Just another thing to look forward to once you hit the big 50.

Just what we need......another crap plant guy

glad to hear that your feeling and doing better

was on the kank the other day and a smallie told me that ,that man (Norm) who is catching all his big brothersthis year hasen't been seen in a while and that all the smallies hope that he is doing fine and getting better. :blink: and the next time he is out his brothers will be bigger for Norm to catch :blink::blink:

fall is a good time to fish but some time it is the best to relax :P:P

quote name='Norm M' date='Oct 10 2007, 09:39 PM' post='14538']

All I can say is that it is entirely my own fault . I did not take care of myself and I did not get regular checkups which could have caught it much earlier . I owe it all my to my wife who finally convinced me to get checked out .

Do yourself a favor and get your health checked and take better care of yourself with your diet , smoking and drinking . The earlier you change your lifestyle and the earlier you catch the potentially life threatening problems the better off you will be .

Good advice Norm and don't beat yourself up too much. It's about a third your fault. I would blame a third on genetics and a third on the fact that we live in a society that makes it damned hard to eat right and exercise.

Finding the time to get enough aerobic exercise (no fishing is not exercise, neither is bowling or golf, even walking unless you're old or pathetically out of shape, I guess) is damned hard.

You take it out of your recreational time. Kiss that TV good bye.

Eating right? HA!

Kiss fast food good bye. McDs can make a salad high calorie if you let them and Portillos can turn it into downright junk food. To eat right, you have to refocus your life around it. A friend gave me some advice: "Never eat for pleasure or taste." To be absolute that is probably impossible for most people, but to stay I found it handy to keep in mind. I count calories on everything

I took to weighing my food for a while (then ate it anyway). What that gave me was a sense of what a serving is. Don’t ever let anyone see you weighing food, by the way.

For me it was one way of putting a number on things and man how depressing. About as much as weighing a fish.

White sugar and white flour are both poison. And they are everywhere and in everything.

Meat…forget it a serving is so damn small it’s not even worth eating, except for the protein.

I used to hate oatmeal. I forced myself to start eating it. Man, I used to gag just trying to get it down. Eventually you get used to it. Now I eat it everyday. Plain, no sugar.

Eventually all this stuff becomes a normal lifestyle, and it’s not as hard. Eat a donut and it tastes over the top greasy and sweet

One you do get on track with what is considered a healthy lifestyle, you will be labeled a “health nut”. When in actuality, you are only doing what should be normal.

If it’s any consolation, it’s no harder than quiting smoking. Face it, if it were easy everyone would do it? Right?

Good luck. See you on the bike trail?

Norm I am very glad to hear that my old fishing buddy is doing good after this scare. I wish you a speedy recovery and will say a little prayer for you. Went thru a stress test myself and came out with flying colors. These things have way of sneaking up on us and we don't seem to see them coming. Maybe its because we get to wrapped up in living that we forget to take care of ourselves while we are doing it. Take it easy for a while and get this under control so we have you around for a good long time.

Norm,

Glad to hear your doing well. I just had 4 stents put in on 9-20-07. No graber, no pain, no warning. I truly had a silent killer stalking me. I'm 56 years old, don't exercise or eat properly, have bad family history and a younger brother (thank God for him) who kept hounding the bjesus out of me to have a stress test. I had 2, 70% blockages in the right coronary artery and 1, 70% in the left anterior descending. I'm now in the process of "life style change", and I begin the cardiac rehab program 10-19-07.

I wish you the best of everything, and keep in mind, there are a whole bunch of us in the same boat. Thank God for modern medicine!

To all the rest of you who are reading this "GO GET THAT STRESS TEST!"

Glad to hear you are taking care of these things before they take care of you, Norm.

Mark brings up good points about who is at "fault".

Genetics gave me high blood pressure.

Been on meds since 11 years old with that.

2 pills a day for the last couple years.

Cholesterol a problem as well.

Cut the alcohol in my life to almost nothing (a few special occasions a year).

Trying to slow the cigarettes, but know I NEED to quit altogether.

Tried the menu my doctor gave me.

That worked for about 2 days....I'd shrivel up and blow away on bird food and bran muffins.

Great explanation of exercise too.

I've been in a physically brutal construction job for 24 years now, and the Doc still says that isn't the right kind.

WILL POWER.

I bet that is the saving grace for all of us when the word comes down to shape up...or ship out.

I should also point out that white sugar may very well be harmful- but aspartame (found in most diet soft drinks and diet teas) is perhaps the worst thing on the planet a person can put into their body.

Do a search on YouTube- there are some very educational videos about this stuff, and it has been getting a lot of airplay in the news and on radio programs as well.

My wife still drinks it, but I stopped and forbid the kids from drinking the stuff.

Trying to slow the cigarettes, but know I NEED to quit altogether.

Tried the menu my doctor gave me.

That worked for about 2 days....I'd shrivel up and blow away on bird food and bran muffins.

Great explanation of exercise too.

I've been in a physically brutal construction job for 24 years now, and the Doc still says that isn't the right kind.

WILL POWER.

I bet that is the saving grace for all of us when the word comes down to shape up...or ship out.

Slow down....riiiight. :rolleyes: Is there such a thing?

I smoked my last ciggy in april of '95, I think it was. Smoked for about 12 years, pack and a half a day. Quitting was really, really, really hard. It took me like three tries. Everytime you quit and fail, you have to learn from it and figure out why. Remember too, that cravings only last 10-15 minutes. Then they go away. I did not know that in my first attemps. Set you watch next time you get one. The most important thing to remember is if you have even 1 drag you will go back to smoking. I felt like crap for about a year and a half afterwards. It was still totally worth it.

Ironically my best friend gave my first cigarette. Knew him since we were kids. Best man at my wedding. He couldn't quit.

We burried him 2 years ago at the ripe old age of '39.

Your construction job, is probably mostly anerobic exercise (kind of like weight lifting). Your doctor probably wants you to get more aerobic exercise (like jogging, running, biking, exercise machine etc.). You have to elavate and sustain your heart rate to around 60-70% of it's max (roughly 220 - your age) for half hour to an hour a day. At least a few days a week.

2 days is not enough to reap the benefits of a good diet. If you eat a high fiber, low fat diet with some lean protein and good carbs. You will eat WAY more food and have WAY more energy. Count calories, do the numbers, it's amazing.

Done both, trust me.

Well , I changed my diet when I was diagnosed with the type 2 diabetes . White sugar and white flour gone . I am walking every day and will start cardiac rehab soon . I plan on starting bike riding again next spring .

I have lost 50 lbs since Feburary and fell a lot better . The doc told me that just as my body has become accustomed to the huge amount of wading I do , it also becomes accustomed to how hard you work . They have stressed aerobic exercise over and above the wading . The good thing is that they approved of all the wading , said it was much better than sitting in front of the boob tube .

Good news for those of us in the age 50 range . I read an article in the paper that said they have come up with an X Ray technique to check the colon . You wouldn't need the tube slipped up your backside unless they needed to remove polyps . I know I'll be asking about that .

The worst of all this I think is knowing I'll be taking meds for the rest of my life , got 8 bottles on my counter counting vitamins and glucosimine for the knees .

I go in next week for the follow up and to schedule the next and hopefully last angioplasty . The worst part of that proceedure is having to lay flat on your back for 10-12 hours and not moving the leg on the side they went in . I'm also shaving my arm down where the IV goes , getting all that tape pulled off all that hair hurt a bit .

I want to thank everyone for thier thoughts , calls , messages and words of encouragement .

Good news for those of us in the age 50 range . I read an article in the paper that said they have come up with an X Ray technique to check the colon . You wouldn't need the tube slipped up your backside unless they needed to remove polyps . I know I'll be asking about that .

Actually they have a device to scan your heart for blockages. It's called a 64 slice CT scan. It takes 64 cross sections of your heart. I had one done in January. The only drawback is it's expensive and a lot of insurance companies won't pay for it. My cardiologist (actually electrophysiologist), a cool dude, pushed it thru.

Norm- sounds like your on the right track. The Kank trail is nice to ride, your lucky to have it in your back yard.

Norm, good to see you have a great attitude about improving your health. Your fishing advice is always very valuable input. Great to see you taking positive steps. Well wishes to you and your family.

I have noticed all the wading doesn't really help my cardio much. It seems carrying the vest seems me to tighten up all day. I'm going to be hitting the bike with you.

Illinois can have it's hogs back for a while.

Funny they come up with that new x-ray technology AFTER I got the camera tube. LOL

But they did remove polyps as well.

Here's to a new and improved you in 2008.

That goes for Norm and everyone else reading.

I just started working my way down- 1 cigarette an hour.

Hey- it's a start!

I guess you haven't joined Don for one of his Illinois Survivor Alliance wades yet! If that's not an aerobic workout, I don't know what is! :o

Jim, do tell about Don's exploits :) .

I have trouble breathing and feeling refreshed after sleep. I've waded a couple hundred miles this year to "lose weight". It's not the lack of exercise. I've had 2 or 3 8 + milers this year. Anyone that's fished with me knows I keep going and going. The amount of water and stuff I carry seems to put pressure on my breathing in a bad way, plus I focus the whole time.

So I get shoulder and neck tightness which further restrict my breathing. Been trying alot of yoga which helps.

I have a very slight sleep apnea. Trying to improve my lung strength. It hasn't really helped doing lots and lots of walking, so running or bike and more vigorous workout are in order.

I also have done a bunch of run and gun wades. Nearly non stop, tossing nothing but a buzzbait. Great target practice. Keep moving until I find fish.

Sorry for the hijack, Norm. Get well.