Cooler weather: what happens now?

Tim Smith

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The morning bite was slower but had bigger fish on average.

The afternoon bite in two of the pools we hit was pretty darn hot but the average size of the fish was smaller. One big spotted bass took a bait, got drug out of the niche where he was hiding, threw the hook and then went after the bait a SECOND time when Phil threw into the hole again. That time around he was finally hooked and landed.

I'd say they were more active around mid-day. We didn't stay long enough to test the evening bite.

I also think that dip in temperatures still hasn't affected them strongly.

Tim , you were fishing with the right guy for sure . He really knows his stuff and has a lot of ideas that challenge your thought process .

If Phil can't find the fish down it that neck o the woods you are prolly better off cutting the grass .

Tim , you were fishing with the right guy for sure . He really knows his stuff and has a lot of ideas that challenge your thought process .

True words, Norm.

I had been to that stretch of river before when I was doing the phosphorus project at the Natural History Survey. It was part of our regular sampling. I'll state clearly for the record that I had NO interest in fishing it...ever.

Even in the access site where there were garlands of 20 pound mono draped from the trees and forked sticks stuck all over the bank, Phil said "Oh, we'll catch several big ones here." I've been fishing with Phil before and I knew he had game, but after wading into the silt to retrieve a lure and sinking up to my calf in bubbly organic silt, I admit I was highly dubious.

Ten minutes later...bingo. 17.5.

That guy has it down.

I've always found fall fishing to be highly overated. The water gets too clear and the fish are way less aggressive because the water gets colder. And nothing makes a fishing trip like having shotgun pellets land near you. :blink:

year after year I keep saying I'm going to start fishing for trout and salmon.

I've always found fall fishing to be highly overated. The water gets too clear and the fish are way less aggressive because the water gets colder. And nothing makes a fishing trip like having shotgun pellets land near you. :blink:

BINGO. This is what I have always thought and am finding to be true.

Interesting. This fall I'm catching the biggest fish I've caught since March.

Mr. Jozwiak?

I have a bad combination of crystal clear, low water, and ultra spooky fish. Throw in they won't chase as far for cold water temps and I don't suspect I'll be approaching some of the crazy days we had this summer. I still get a 17 or 16 each of the last times out. But gone are the 10 or more fish 16"+ days.

Things might improve with some rain to muddy things up a bit.

I catch more big fish from November thru March than the rest of the year , sometimes close to a 2 to 1 margin on twenty inch or bigger fish .

I catch more big fish from November thru March than the rest of the year , sometimes close to a 2 to 1 margin on twenty inch or bigger fish .

I've never caught a 20" smallie in my life. I've never even seen anyone catch one. I've caught and measured 1 maybe two 19" fish. A good amount of 18s and lots of 16 and 17s. and if I never peel a 10" smallie off a twister tail again, it will be too soon.

i know you can catch big ones in fall.

You guys are a different breed than me. A lot more serious about this. Log book? Thermometer? Not me. Thats too much like work.

For the average schmuck like me that gets out 5 or 6 times a year for a few outtings it gets tough this time of year. I fish one stretch of water on the Kank basically Davis Creek down to Area 7. I don't deviate from that stretch. reason being I know where to go and know the water like the back of my hand. And I just like being there. If it's a matter of fishing anywhere else, I'm probably going to go to a different body of water.

In summer I can throw on a topwater and cast blindly and still catch fish. It so easy any idiot can do it.

I like fishing live helgies because the fish get even stupider. The times I have caught fall fish I have found them to be stacked and those were out of a canoe. Float trips are something I no longer have time for. I can't remember the last time I floated the Kank. I can't remember the last time I fished more than half a day. Covering enough water in a short period by wading is tough. And the fish ain't exactly commiting suicide.Usually it's two or three hours at the most. I have to be believe there is no substitute for time on the water. So in a nutshell, summertime, warm water and stupid, aggresive smallies are more condusive to my style of fishing.

Lastly, I'm serious about the shotgun thing. I've had pellets rain around me twice. No where near a duck blind. Lethal or not thats freaking scary. In the times I did float the Kank in Fall, it was even scarier, since you go by so many duck blinds.

That is encouraging Norm. I have caught big fish when I've gone in cold weather. I've got some excellent winterholes pinned down thanks to some awesome summer days. Traced them back to their home. Could be exciting time if I can get out enough.

Right now my fish are so spooky it's crazy. Lure hits the water and schools of fish spook. Tough going. We got a bit of rain so I'm off.

I want to believe in fall feedbag, so I'll keep trying.

Mark - My buddy just called. I'm taking your advice and heading up to Michigan 1st week of November for some steelhead. Got the green light from my wife!

I think the "fall feeding frenzy" is most apparent in waters where the fish have been stressed through the summer with 90 degree temps, vegetation, and low water. Once the water cools the fish become less stressed and are very hungry.

Brenden, the water you are fishing did not go through that so you are now feeling the "we where happy fish and now it's colder syndrome".

I think the "fall feeding frenzy" is most apparent in waters where the fish have been stressed through the summer with 90 degree temps, vegetation, and low water. Once the water cools the fish become less stressed and are very hungry.

Brenden, the water you are fishing did not go through that so you are now feeling the "we where happy fish and now it's colder syndrome".

Excellent thought, JB. Got skunked today in 3 hours without a bite on Flatrock. Those fish were content. Time to hit some stressed fish. I may even fish the river.

Some random thoughts on being successful at catching big fish .

Time on the water has a lot to do with it but only if you make good use of it . Learning from every experience good or bad , learning how to translate book learning[books , magazines, videos , internet , etc.] into on the water knowledge , seeing , learning and remembering as much of the flow as possible , identifiying spots that will be productive at different times of the year while fishing year round all play into it . Being observant and aware of the natural cues and signs including noticing what certain plants and/or animals are doing when you are doing well helps you to not only have success but to repeat your success . Things like noticing over the years that when the herons are active so are the fish . Paying attention to how local climatic conditions can affect your water and learning how to adapt to them also plays a role .

Learning as much as you can about the fish you pursue while remembering that they will still do the unexpected as no one will ever know it all ,learning as much as you can about the other species they interact with with the same caveat , learning as much as you can about how moving water works, trying and perfecting as many techniques as you can than chosing the ones that suit you and your style most effectively also play a role .

Realizing that you will never know it all but still striving to learn as much as possible and to try and learn something new as often as possible .

Above all developing a sense of confidence that you will catch a fish on every cast and the ability to maintain that feeling no matter what the results have been so far that day .

Above all developing a sense of confidence that you will catch a fish on every cast and the ability to maintain that feeling no matter what the results have been so far that day .

This came up in conversation between Tim Smith and I.....ah yes, the power of positive thinking

Just get out there if you can. Autumn weather, beautiful leaves, migrating waterfowl and the hoot of an owl. That and so much more, are all parts of a good days "catch".....

Stopped by a small river after work last night and this evening. Very clear water. Bite didn't turn on until I couldn't see to tie a knot.

This came up in conversation between Tim Smith and I.....ah yes, the power of positive thinking

Just get out there if you can. Autumn weather, beautiful leaves, migrating waterfowl and the hoot of an owl. That and so much more, are all parts of a good days "catch".....

Stopped by a small river after work last night and this evening. Very clear water. Bite didn't turn on until I couldn't see to tie a knot.

Don- In the immortal words of Todd Rundgren..."We gotta get you a woman"

Both of you should sound like "wannabee be outdoor writers". Do you think I'm a stupid person???

The s@#t has gone over my waders.

I'm outta here.

Don- In the immortal words of Todd Rundgren..."We gotta get you a woman"

Both of you should sound like "wannabee be outdoor writers". Do you think I'm a stupid person???

The s@#t has gone over my waders.

I'm outta here.

To answer your question simply....No

Norm has been an outdoor writer for years. I think he's very good at it and not full of himself (an admirable quality in my honest opinion).

I'm about the least full of s@#t guy you'll ever meet. I love the outdoors and all it has to offer.

My experiences and the descriptions of them aren't thrown out into the public's eye to boast. They are real and hopefully others (some of which can't get out there as much as I do) will enjoy reading about them.

Married, divorced, and a few long term relationships. I currently have a couple lady friends. Very happy and content being single.

Some random thoughts on being successful at catching big fish .

Time on the water has a lot to do with it but only if you make good use of it . Learning from every experience good or bad , learning how to translate book learning[books , magazines, videos , internet , etc.] into on the water knowledge , seeing , learning and remembering as much of the flow as possible , identifiying spots that will be productive at different times of the year while fishing year round all play into it . Being observant and aware of the natural cues and signs including noticing what certain plants and/or animals are doing when you are doing well helps you to not only have success but to repeat your success . Things like noticing over the years that when the herons are active so are the fish . Paying attention to how local climatic conditions can affect your water and learning how to adapt to them also plays a role .

Learning as much as you can about the fish you pursue while remembering that they will still do the unexpected as no one will ever know it all ,learning as much as you can about the other species they interact with with the same caveat , learning as much as you can about how moving water works, trying and perfecting as many techniques as you can than chosing the ones that suit you and your style most effectively also play a role .

Realizing that you will never know it all but still striving to learn as much as possible and to try and learn something new as often as possible .

Don abnd Norm-Sorry about the tone of that. regarding the "woman" crack. I was trying to be funny, does not always come accross over the web. I was going to say that you sound like your former business partner, but that would have been mean. :P

I took the above quote as condescending and the stuff that outdoor writers rehash over and over and over. Perhaps it was not intended that way. I consider myself top be a pretty observent guy. I observed that when the water gets cold, there are fewer fish on the end of my line.

None of the above means anything to the guy who steps in the water on saturday morning. Either the fish are there and biting or they are not.

This debate could go on forever.

Mark

I can understand your position, as you made a statement in your post rather than ask for advice. However, I'm not sure that others responded to you directly as much as they were to the original post started by Tim Smith regarding fishing through the cold stuff.

You're right, fall fishing is not summer peak and usually not as productive. It takes a lot more work. I get stymied a lot more than I am successful! Still, I fish when I can, and fall is a great time to be out, short of shotgun pellets falling at your feet. The scenery makes up for a lot of tough fishing. I like the challenge. It's a different kind of experience, one that I hope to become better at.

Mark ,

No offense taken and none implied . I was just in a mood to offer up some of my observations gained from years on the water . I should have made them under a seperate post so they could have been taken in the spirit I intended .

I know the confidence thing has been beat to death by writers over the years but it has truly helped me since I developed it .