Seining Minnows

Mark K

Guest One More Cast
Is there a way to do this solo?

Yes.

1) Take the BPS hat off of your son's head.

2) Use that.

:lol:

Seriously, I have seen anglers on the Fox at Yorkville use a kick-net (kind of a home-made job....window screen stapled to 4 foot long 1"X1"s) and facing upstream seine out a little pocket.

Joseph

I have seined with a friend that has something similar to this:

tubenet.jpg

The key is in having a flat leading edge.

Step into the creek or river, jam it flat against the bottom in current and start kicking rocks around.

Seine_Art2.jpg

The bonus is all the crawdads and hellgrammites you will scare up.

Better than minnows, IMHO.

There are MANY styles available.

Here is one site:

http://www.douglasnets.com/douglasnets/product.html

A typical minnow seine tied to tool handles on either side (brailes, they're called) can be rolled up like a scroll and also works for kick seining. I zip-tie a chain into the leadline to give it extra weight and keep it tigher against the bottom. When you have someone available to help you, you can unroll it and cover open water as well.

Kids love that stuff too.

A net up to 10' long is legal in Illinois and can be used with a fishing lisence.

NOTE: Transferring fish or crayfish between watersheds is almost always a terrible idea. There are some nasty fish diseases around these days. Moving fish increases the potential for passing those diseases between populations. The possibility of exotic transfers is also always a threat.

Seine the river where you'll fish and never release fish or crayfish into a river from which they did not originate.

Mark ,

Grab the ultralight , a Thill mini stealth float , bb shot , size 10-12 hooks, bee moth or red worms catch a dozen chubs and put them in the bucket . Sometimes a small white rooster tail spinner really gets the big chubs .

Grab your regular gear and catch some pigs on the chubs .

Mark ,

Grab the ultralight , a Thill mini stealth float , bb shot , size 10-12 hooks, bee moth or red worms catch a dozen chubs and put them in the bucket . Sometimes a small white rooster tail spinner really gets the big chubs .

Grab your regular gear and catch some pigs on the chubs .

Norm- That sounds like sound plan. Lets hook up. Perhaps and old B.C. crew.

Joseph- I can now think again, but as I went thru Wrigleyville during the marathon I was showered with "Fanfare for the Common Man" (ELP version going on in my brain), from fans lonley for someone to cheer for. I bow my head in humble thanks from all those Cub fans. It was nothing short of incredible.

That and I promised God on 35th street (mile 20 something), that if he would let me live, I wouldn't break any Cub fans balls. :P

I didn't say anything about flyshop owners though....

Max told me to tell you all that practical know how, years of experience and exceptional customer service only goes so far. You need a fish tank...and a big one. And some beef jerky. A minnow tank would be nice, and some crawlers, when we need them. And some hotties behind the counter....okay I added that part.

:P

Mark ,

Right now everything depends on whats happens with the angiogram tommorrow . Hopefully the blockage can be cleared with a balloon and possibly a stent . If not then it's prolly heart surgery and major time on the injured reserve list .

Hopefully you were running with the elite group as I heard one guy from the Score describe them .

Yep.

Used to catch the small suckers on my kid's rod, then hook them up on mine.

Was cutting the heads off and rigging them for cats (and got some MONSTERS).

Never know what you'll hook into....

(You are a brave man to run that marathon...feeling OK today?)

Norm- hope everything works out.

Let us know when you know, please.

Norm- Fortunatly for you there are so many Americans with heart disease that the doctors have got darn good at fixing them. I even have some mild blockage, probably from years of smoking. You'll be fine. Give me a call sometime, pm me if you don't have my #

Mike- I was just kidding. It wasn't that bad. The first 20 were easy. It gets progressively harder with the last three miles being a bear. I'm a little sore still, but not too bad.

Jim- No matter how hard I tried I could not crack 3:30. I did 3:31:30. Lost it towards the end. The closed the race at the halfway point at noon. I was done at 11:30ish.

The marathon organizers are getting a lot of flak. I thought it was a blast and well organized considering the circumstances.