Inflatable Pontoon or Kayak?

MikeO1181

Lol I agree with Joseph on this one, as you need to do whatever you can to keep your spouse happy. Otherwise they will make life less then ideal by you not doing what they had done in the first place. Well in my case right now i think that the pontoon boat is best suited for my needs.

Now do you guys ever have any pontoon Boat Float Trips? As I think that would be a blast to do.

Gregg,

I have had great endurance with fiberglass on rocky streams in Ohio, PA and Kentucky.

I have had to patch only one over thirty years of using them. It found a peice of pointed rebar and concrete at an old breached dam site.

I usually add kevlar skid plates on the bow & stern to ward off most bad beachings or missed rocks.

I love my 70's 13 ft. fiberglass Sawyer Classis Solo canoe, At 40 lbs. its a dream to hike with and a cruiser on the water with a 57" paddle with a 10" blade or a 240 cm kayak paddle.

Hope that helps?

Rick

I'd say skip the inflatable and buy a rack-even if just foam blocks to begin with-for the roof of the mustang.

I have a question for RICK or anyone who has used fiberglass canoe: How does it hold up in rocky shallow streams, especially if your idea of an anchor is to ram it up on a sandbar?

I have thought I'd love one of those 20 pound adorondack canoes, but am afraid I'd sink it by gouging a hole in the bow.

Gregg

Here is a simple low-cost light all-round recreational kayak that will fissh well and give the spouse a boat to enjoy.

look for the Old Town Voyager. It is the Single layer plastic version or the Loon 111 and with little effort will be similiar to the OT Predator K111.

It is a great utility recreational/fishing/family kayak.

Those at the last Blowout will remember.

Late in the season like this thru Februrary You could find a new, demo or blem for $250 -$300. Buy a pair and take the spouse paddling. It also give you a spare for you fishing buddy or the future family angler.

I have added Trolley anchor systems, rod holders and storage crates to fit behind the seat for easy gear access.

Fuel for thought

Guest patio87
Talk to Mike "Flyrodder" Miller out at BPS in Bolingbrook. He can show you some nifty pontoon craft that fit into the back of your Mustang.

That guy knows everything there is to know about fly fishing.

Guest One More Cast
That guy knows everything there is to know about fly fishing.

.....and he's not shy about telling you. :lol:

Joseph

.......hell of a tyer, though

Guest rich mc

another thing to consider is a pontoon gives you more access on some lakes. shabbona for example will allow the pontoons[must be state registered with numbers] but will not allow float tubes. pontoons are more stable for having an electric motor and battery as a power source.

Now this discussion has got me curious. How much room does an inflateable require when it is deflated? I am interested in hearing about the pontoons. The donuts are compact, I am sure. But the frame and seat of the pontoons would seam to be bulky and eat up a lot of trunk space.

A 9-10' kayak does not require a lot of room being about 30" wide and at most 20" deep. No adult assembly required and acceptable almost anywhere. I use a slightly larger 15' solo canoe beacuse it gives me more carrying capacity. But if I didn't have that, I would get the general purpose yak first and think about adding a specialized craft later.

Guest One More Cast

Come to the Cast & Compare, I'll have my 'Toon there for you to see.

Anybody interested in bringing along your float craft for others to see? This event is about Comparing gear which includes float craft. If you have a belly boat, pontoon, Sit on Top, Pungo, Poke Boat...by all means bring it!

Joseph

Rick,

Thanks for the help with the fiberglass canoe issue.

My 9.5 foot kayak fits inside my Saturn Vue. Two fit nicely on my roof. Hangs eye high on the garage wall or could be hung from the ceiling. It is practically indestructable. Unless I wanted to take it on a plane I don't know how a pontoon or inflatable Yak could take up less space. You would have to put a giant dufflebag somewhere. This comes down now to a matter of preference.

Gregg

Jim

If I put pasenger seat down, front and rear, I can put my 9.5 in there and close the tailgate. The bow is at the windshield.

Of course, when the boat is wet and muddy I would rather put it on top.

I have two J cradles for the roof rack. Sometimes after a long day though it is a real job to lift the boat that high. On the Vue, I have to press the Yak over my head to get it up there.

Gregg

Come to the Cast & Compare, I'll have my 'Toon there for you to see.

Anybody interested in bringing along your float craft for others to see? This event is about Comparing gear which includes float craft. If you have a belly boat, pontoon, Sit on Top, Pungo, Poke Boat...by all means bring it!

Joseph

Where and when?

Any Forest Preserves in particular which do and don't allow inflatable boats? Thanks for your guys feedback.

Any of the five (5) counties surrounding Chicago do not allow any inflatable craft. I was told by Forest Preserve officials that it was a liability and insurance issue. I've discussed the possibility of wording that allows commercially manufactured watercraft or registered inflatables. I have been told that they are currently looking at the possibility of changing things in some of the counties. Stay tuned.

Any of the five (5) counties surrounding Chicago do not allow any inflatable craft. I was told by Forest Preserve officials that it was a liability and insurance issue. I've discussed the possibility of wording that allows commercially manufactured watercraft or registered inflatables. I have been told that they are currently looking at the possibility of changing things in some of the counties. Stay tuned.

That's a good idea, I imagine that policy is in place so people don't float around on pool toys but it leaves legitimate water craft out.