Lemonweir River, WI 5/28-29

Mark K

Had a family mini vacation over the weeekend. We fished the Lemonweir in Mauston together. Fishing together, we did exceptonally well using slip bobber rigs and crawlers. My wife caught some dandy river bluegills.

The ones I saw were easily 9". She is claiming larger ones.

Later on towards evening I hit the river solo with my fly rod.

I tied on a fairly big black and blue traditional clouser tied with an excess of blue Crystal Flash and Flashabou. Ever have the feeling that if you were going to get bit, it was going to be on the bait you just tied oon? Fired one nice cast, stripped the line twice and the rod doubled over. Just like on TV. Flip Pallot style!

It felt like a good fish. Turned out to be a Northern, maybe 2 1/2 feet long. I saw that my fly was completely in his mouth so... i just waited for the inevitable. To my suprise, I actually had a hand on him, but the slippery little SOB got away. With my fly. Not used to handling northerns, I guess. Lucky for him. Haven't had pike fillets in a long time.

Beyonfd that it was pretty cool to wrestle a him on a 6 wt.

This morning I got up early, to "fetch breakfast" at the McDs in Mauston. By coincidece I had my waders with.. Repeat same scenario as above only fishing a Clouser Sculpin (Basically calf hair instead of deer hair, smaller, squatter).

112614g.jpg

BAM!

1125z54.jpg

Not a monster, probably 16-17 ". But my first good smallie on a personally tied fly. What a rush!

Hey Mark

Good to see you posting. Where have you been hiding?

Any pics of the 'gills?

That's a nice solid smallie and must have been a blast catching it on the flyrod. Maybe, someday I'll get back into flyfishing.

How was the weather? It was pretty hot here.

Thanks for the post!

Guest One More Cast
Had a family mini vacation over the weeekend. We fished the Lemonweir in Mauston together. Fishing together, we did exceptonally well using slip bobber rigs and crawlers. My wife caught some dandy river bluegills.

The ones I saw were easily 9". She is claiming larger ones.

Later on towards evening I hit the river solo with my fly rod.

I tied on a fairly big black and blue traditional clouser tied with an excess of blue Crystal Flash and Flashabou. Ever have the feeling that if you were going to get bit, it was going to be on the bait you just tied oon? Fired one nice cast, stripped the line twice and the rod doubled over. Just like on TV. Flip Pallot style!

It felt like a good fish. Turned out to be a Northern, maybe 2 1/2 feet long. I saw that my fly was completely in his mouth so... i just waited for the inevitable. To my suprise, I actually had a hand on him, but the slippery little SOB got away. With my fly. Not used to handling northerns, I guess. Lucky for him. Haven't had pike fillets in a long time.

Beyonfd that it was pretty cool to wrestle a him on a 6 wt.

This morning I got up early, to "fetch breakfast" at the McDs in Mauston. By coincidece I had my waders with.. Repeat same scenario as above only fishing a Clouser Sculpin (Basically calf hair instead of deer hair, smaller, squatter).

112614g.jpg

BAM!

1125z54.jpg

Not a monster, probably 16-17 ". But my first good smallie on a personally tied fly. What a rush!

Nice job!

It is rewarding to catch something nice on a fly you tied.

Joseph

That is a good looking Fly Mark. You must tie more of them since they work so well. That Northern would have been great panfried or grilled. They are especially good with the "Y" bone cut out so you have no bones and just good firm meat. Very taste as I have eaten many of them on trips to Wisc. and Minn.

Steve,

Other hobbies, my new 3 hour daily commute :angry::angry::angry: as well as normal family obligations have cut into my fishing time. The days of fishing every day are over. With gas prices where they are at I can't justify the drive to the Kank for less than a half day. Besides, I like to fish the Kank when it is a lot lower than where it is now and has been. I've been to Mazonia a few times. Fishing was okay, but nothing worth writing home about.

So getting out anymore isn't easy. That is one of the nice things about fly fishing. I can sit down and mess around at the bench for an hour, or practice a few casts on the lawn or at a local pond. Time spent still staying in touch with the sport that only makes real fishing time more enjoyable.

My little guy loves fishing too, so he knows he can lay a guilt trip on me when he says me loading my stuff in the truck. He always wants to come with and knows the right buttons to push. "Where ya going Daddy???" Away goes the baitcaster out come the ultralights and wax worms.

So consequently I'm doing a lot of bluegillin' at local ponds these days! I did not get any shots of the gills they were catching. I actually on saw a few. My wife seemed to be doing fine with out me so I waded down stream a bit.

Weather was rainy on saturday and 90F and sunny on Sunday, ditto monday. Ticks were really, really bad.

Gary-I love eating pike but I was only half serious about keeping it. I don't even know what the regs are and I typically don't carry a stringer. Maybe that will change.

Duh... I guess I got sidetracked.

The reason I posted the pic of the fly was the color combination seldom seen in flies. Black with blue flash. It's actually gotten tough to find in conventional tackle.

I have been doing well with this scheme for a while now. Both in fly fishing and conventional tackle. I feel that under most conditions it performs as well as any other color, probably because it seems to be so visible. I even will go so far to say that it will out perform typical crayfish colors when bass are feeding on crayfish.

Give it a try.

When I saw the fly, it reminded me of a plastic worm for largemouths. Blue-black is a popular/productive color scheme. Don't know much about flies and patterns, other than to say I would think a "match the hatch" typically would be natural colors. Looks like thinking outside the lines here is paying off.

I've been trudging through some tall grass the past few weeks and besides being itchy, I've remained tick-free. I hate those things!!!!

The K3 has been there forever, but the little guy is only little for so long. I'd be making the same choices as you.