Smokin em on buzz baits

Guest rich mc

I've caught them on both. What's more important to me is if the bait runs true. I've had problems with bargain bin buzzbaits turning/rolling. The Booyah works well, and has the clacker. It really makes a racket, but I don't know if it makes that much of a difference.

ken, when would you want to use one with a clacker and one without? does the boogerman have the clacker? rich

>>>boogerman have the clacker?<<<

No.

The Boogerman design has a built-in & adjustable "clicking clacker" feature,

without the added hardware, that catches and holds "weeds" and "grass".

The "clacker" style was introduced many many years ago.

The "clacker" style features "flapper", that pivots on the verticle portion of the wire.

When they were introduced, they caught on well.

The craze wore off---now they're back.

Can you say "Dancin' Eel"?

I've tried both styles buzzbaits.

Boogerman® out-fishes, I mean out-catches, the "clacker".

Boogerman makes a different "clicking" sound---

like ringing a dinner bell when you call in the farm hands for dinner,

or having landscapers come in and do your yard work.

Not a fan of riverclacker style Buzzes. They catch a lot of wind.

Bluriversmallie over at Indianasmallmouth.com makes some excellent 1/8oz buzzbaits. Great baits. The rear of two blades can be bent to cause more or less clacking.

IMGP0614.jpg

I have noticed some days, buzzbaits do more harm than good spooking fish. Keep an eye out for this.

I'm a big fan of the HoneyBuzz

1/4 OZ

Premium, handmade.

Fantastic hook (most buzzbait hooks suck)

Great features a lot of others don't have:

Hook is hinged at back. Makes hookups easier and fish can't throw it as well. Less leverage.

Loud bead that the blade strikes upon rotation.

Rusted rivet.

There's lot's of big baits that will spook fish, spinnerbaits, Sammy's etc.

Watch Eric lay in a 1/4 oz spinnerbait next to a log like he was laying down a baby.

You can't throw overhand and drop baits like long range bombs as some people do. That will spook fish, especially big ones.

Throw sidearm and feather before it hits the water.

Also overthrow the target and bring the bait back over the fish.

62omy4i.jpg

4q431wh.jpg

Honeybuzz Buzzbait

A WINNING PATTERN! I'm Telling You There's Not Another Buzzbait Out There Like It. This Lure Makes A Tremendous Racket and Features A Squeaky Ol' Rusted Rivet For Maximum Sound and Vibration. It has A Double Weight System for Better Balance Which Allows You To Work It Right Through Most Brush and Cover. The Hinged Hook Provides A Totally Different Hook Setting Angle and When A Fish Hits It, You Get A Higher Hook-Up Rate Than On Any Other Buzzbait!

Without a doubt the world’s most innovative new buzzbait available today and jammed full of features that solves those age old problems of traditional buzzbaits. Revolutionary features like our patented hinged hook that provides the highest hook-up to catch ratio. Tracking stabilization so your bait runs straight and true. A flexible two tier weighting system that takes all the leverage away and makes the bait virtually impossible for the fish to throw. A jointed hook system that kicks up when going over limbs and logs making it one of the most snag free lures in buzzbait history. A heavy duty wire frame that allows you to quickly adjust up for a squeak and squeal or down for the loudest bang and commotion. A modernistic steel head. An innovative new blade guard that helps keep grass off and your blade turning free. The ultimate skirt and a mustad sharp hook.

DEADLY ON Small and Largemouth Bass, Pike, Muskie and Peacock Bass.

I've been a fan of the Boogerman buzzbaits for years. Started out largemouth fishing with them and never looked back. White body / white blade has been my favorite in 1/4- or 1/8-ounce for smallmouth. I usually bend the arm a little so it clacks a little less. I find that you don't necessarily need so much noise for bronzebacks.

My biggest problem with any buzzbait is getting it to run true. I hate it when a bait tracks to the left or to the right and won't hold a straight line towards your rod. That's especially frustrating when you're trying to work alongside a rock pile or bridge piling and the bait is tracking the wrong way, never allowing you to stick tight to the structure. I can usually bend the bait and get it to track true, but there are certain times when it just gets too frustrating and I switch to a different kind of bait.

I'd like to get my hands on the Honey Buzz and give it a try. I read about it in the Bulletin and remember thinking it sounded decent. I haven't fished buzzers in a while. Perhaps this fall when the weeds die down a bit.

Hearing Eric talk about the Boogerman is music to my ears, an old familiar tune. They are good. One thing I found is that they generally weigh in at about twice their stated weight. On a lab scale the 1/4 ouncer I have weighs 16.37 grams (over 1/2 ounce).

On some buzz baits that I make I use a plastic quad blade instead of the double aluminum blade we normally see. These have more lift, surface quickly, and can be worked slower under conditions where that is an advantage. Just another tool in the box.

I prefer in line buzzbaits , since I switched I believe my hook up ratio improved . Of course the biggest thing is being able to resist setting the hook until you feel the weight of the fish . Somehow the hotter the bite the harder to gets to be , too much adrenaline I suppose .

I currently carry Uncle Bucks which I remove the wire weedgaurds from .

I fished exclusively with triple-bladed buzzbaits for a few years, but just can't seem to find them in the stores locally any more.

Triple-blade models have almost become obsolete.

Presently, I only recall Strike King, offering them.

You may find some in "dump bins", in some tackle stores.

Let me know if you want some.

Hearing Eric talk about the Boogerman is music to my ears, an old familiar tune. They are good. One thing I found is that they generally weigh in at about twice their stated weight. On a lab scale the 1/4 ouncer I have weighs 16.37 grams (over 1/2 ounce).

On some buzz baits that I make I use a plastic quad blade instead of the double aluminum blade we normally see. These have more lift, surface quickly, and can be worked slower under conditions where that is an advantage. Just another tool in the box.

Mike,

The "quad-wing" blades are a favorite, with some avid anglers.

Yes, they are great, when a SLOW retrieve is desireable---especially over weeds and wood.

Quad wing blades can be obtained from "JannsNetcraft".

I've made up some quad wing model buzzers, by changing out the blades---

remove the alum and replace it with the quad wing.

Insert and aluminum rivet, into the trailing end of the quad-wing blade,

and place a rivet on the wire shaft.

Position the rivet heads so as to rub against each other, to obtain a "squeeling" sound (alum on alum).

To obtain optimum "squeeling" sound, hold a buzz-bait out your car window while driving, for several minutes.

Allow the alum rivet heads to obtain more of a flattened surface, which increases the sqeeling pitch sound.

Works for me.

I figure they're either carrying a portable smoker in the chest packs for a quick shore lunch, or.......... well, I don't know how they can keep them lit. Mine are always too wet! :unsure:

It's worse than that. It is a G Word term for hitting a long drive. Now I have to wash my mouth out with soap. :(