3rd Grip Users

pts9889

Just wondering how many you use the 3rd grip holder on a regular basis. I keep thinking that if I brought a 2nd rod with a crank/spinnerbait/topwater, I can cover a lot more water. Thanks for any advice. Paul

I was introduced to the advantages of using the third grip just recently and I'll tell you this: It really comes in handy when the topwater bite is on. When they're smacking your buzzbait or popper or whatever, but not hooking up you better have some sort of subsurface lure ready to go because that fish is hot now and you almost have a sure thing when you can get another offering like a fluke or senko in there quickly. Even if the topwater bite is not on, you can always have something like a a crankbait on one rod and a jig on the other. Having a second rod helps you fish a spot more effectively. I'd rather have another bait ready to go than waste time tying something else on. Anytime I'm fishing on foot, I'll be sure to have that rod holster on with a backup bait at the ready.......I would recommend it to anyone.

I fished a tournament and brought seven rods with me, I used five of those seven throughout the day. If I could figure out a way to attach six 3rd Grips to my body and still be able to wade, I'd do it! :lol: Basically what I'm saying is.... the more viable options you have at your disposal, the better you'll be prepared for any different situation you may come across. I'm going to see if the 3rd Grips have been restocked at Strictly Fishing tomorrow! I'm only going to get one. ;)

BTW, I guess I only needed one rod for the tourney. I caught one legal 2 1/2lb ugly green fish for the day. None of the pretty brown ones wanted what I was offering!

I firmly believe in the advantages of the second rod and the 3rd grip. John hit the nail on the head. Having a back up bait rigged and ready is really handy. I use the 3rd grip religiously.

By the way, the new Guide Series 3rd grip has a pocket at the top that allows you to slide the fly rod adapter tube into that pocket. As a result, the angler has two tubes to store two rods in the 3rd grip. I have been wading with three rods now!! Two in the 3rd grip and one in my hand. AWESOME!

Fishermen,

I appreciate the advice.

Yes, I think I am going to pick one up. Using fast moving baits to comb through an area that is lacking obvious structure and then using plastics to pick apart identifable targets will be the new gameplan. While I have been catching good fish on a regular basis, I think this approach can be more productive. Good fishing. Paul