Dam Removal on Vermilion River at Oglesby

John Gillio

The IDNR has announced a proposal to remove the Vermilion River dam at Oglesby.  The timeline has the dam fully removed by May, 2021. The dam will be let in early Nov, 2020. 

The dam is now on state property designated to be an expansion of Sarved Rock and Matthiessen State Parks. I think this may be one step toward getting the new parkland ready for opening. It is still off limits for the public. The IDNR states the reason for removal is to promote public  safety, for ecosystem benefits, and to improve recreation. It has been the most dangerous spot on the river for those floating it.

1 minute ago, eugene f collins said:

Will the Asian Carp be able to advance? 

Sorry.

I understand dam removal. I like dam removal. 

Start the debate. Asian Carp can fill the fish fillet quota for all fast fat food they we eat.

It's a low head dam which has somewhat of a fish ladder. It had not prevented the carp from advancing nor has  the Wildcat rapids upstream from it. The carp have advanced all the way to the Steator dam,  which is high enough to stop any fish from advancing beyond. I feel that the Streator dam should stay in place to contain the carp to the waters below it. The dam at Oglesby should go, even though it is the most productive fishing spot on the river. It has been off limits to most for the last 20-30 yrs, and to all the last 11, except trespassers. It is dangerous to those who float the river and don't pay attention to the warning signs

It doesn't hurt my feelings when I clean an Asian carp . Your right,  they are probably much better for us than the fast foods we eat. Heavy harvesting of the carp would be a blessing.