Mepps

Mark K

I looked this up because I saw the sign for the factory in Antigo, on the way back from Sylvania.

Who remembers the Mepps catalog?  I sent away for it every year when I was a kid.  It's amazing that they still assemble these things by hand in the USA ...if they still do, video is '09.  This guy is being a bit of a creepster, but this is a good overview of their operation.  pretty cool.

11 hours ago, Scott Ferguson said:

On the Menominee, I get a lot of hits on a Melos #4. The problem is, the smallies are  so good at throwing those baits. Every time they jump they spit the lure back at me. 

I used to fish them on the Kank, particullarly a  the #4.  Don't recall losing fish on them, but they got stuck a lot and I lost them. 

11 hours ago, Steve S. said:

It’s amazing how effective they still are for smallmouth.

Been meaning to dig out a bunch of old lures like them and jointed Rapalas which for what ever reason, you don't see people fishing a lot anymore.  Or maybe they are just not talked about much  on the web etc. 

I was pleasantly suprised last year at what a good job the old Rebel craw was doing.  There is another you don't hear about.

Good Lord I have so many lures that I don't use. 

It's ironic that Antigo USA is the French Spinner Capitol of the World. It was one of those magic lures. Just put one on and fish will come. On the downside it was a weed and rock magnet. My basic gear kit for the Boundary Waters was a Mepps #4 bucktail, a U20 Flatfish, a Daredevle, a Rapala, and a Muddler pattern jig-all I needed back then. 

bkp2_bk.jpg

When we think of Mepps, we probably have the old Aglia in mind. But Mepps uses other blade designs. So really we are praising the in-line spinner in its many forms. I remember that Heddon honored Mepps with its knockoff Hepp spinner.  And I still have some Daredevle spinners that featured the French blade. The Roostertail is agood one too.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:16 PM, Scott Ferguson said:

On the Menominee, I get a lot of hits on a Mepps  #4. The problem is, the smallies are  so good at throwing those baits. Every time they jump they spit the lure back at me. 

Man you’re right about that. I was out with a friend musky fishing and watched him lose 3-4 heart break largemouths on the jump with the Mepps. This guys really a good fisherman doesn’t panic like me. I’ll let him know what you’ve experienced. Thanks.