NW Region Kish Wade Results

This Saturday we had 11 anglers get together to fish the Kishwaukee River in search of smallmouth bass or anything else that would bite. We started with a hearty breakfast and then broke up into 3 groups to hit different areas. Stan led a group of 4 flyfisherman on the main branch, I led a group of 4 on the north branch, and Terry led a group of 3 that focused mainly on the south branch. The weather and water levels were perfect for wading and we found some smallmouth willing to come out and play. The action was slow but we would pick up one here and one there with a few decent sized ones to keep it interesting. When you add it all up our group caught about 2 dozen smallmouth with a handful in the 15-17" range and everyone caught a few fish. I did get 2 on the whopper plopper right away when the sun was still low but we never really established a good topwater bite. Dragging plastics like ned rigs and hula grubs was the most productive for our group. We did have 2 pike encounters as Jared had one follow right to his feet and Eugene had one bite him off under a tree. The section we fished was full of life as we could see quillback, suckers, clams, frogs, and minnow in the water everywhere we went. The highlights for me was helping Jared sight fish a nice 16" smallmouth. It followed my topwater but wouldn't commit to hitting it. I pointed it out to Jared and told him to cast a few feet in front with the ned rig. I watched it swim over and then flare its gills then the battle was on. The other highlight was getting back to my car and seeing a handwriting thank you note from Eugene. You're welcome and that means a lot to me as an unpaid volunteer of the club. Most of the time I fish alone on the river but I do enjoy the stories and comradery of fishing with others at times.  

08.jpg10.jpg11.jpg09.jpg