Mike G

Best Fly Tying Kit for Beginners?

46135061505_16c5254560_z.jpgKatie Tying by Michael Gerharz, on Flickr

Katie is still at it.  I need some recommendations on a good beginner's fly tying kit. I would appreciate hearing your recommendations and experiences, Lots out there from $30 to $200.  Your answer will do double duty, helping me and helping all the other readers thinking about taking the plunge into tying.

I suggest you get the vise you want. the tools are cheap. then make a list of materials needed for the flies she plans to tye.  I suggest a Thompson AA, inexpensive and dependable, as a starter.  if you get 50 responses you will have 50 different opinions.  I think the orvis kits are the best but the vise isn't very handy. get her involved in scrounging for materials and searching ebay for a deal on a vise. I have seen a few. she will become an enthusiast.  good luck!  timothy

never seen a good kit.     buy a vise and tools separately   mike knows all about using other materials such as dino blocks, yarn.

Thanks for the replies. Here is the rest of the story. It is over 60 years ago now that my father gave me a kit from Tackle-Tyers, Evanston IL. It got me started and served me well. I am still using the bobin. Despite the negativity on kits I went with one.

https://smile.amazon.com/WETFLY-Deluxe-Tying-Book-Popular/dp/B000IAW2IK/ref=pd_rhf_cr_s_pd_crcbs_0_4/131-4850670-0057535?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000IAW2IK&pd_rd_r=9a4db73c-e05f-4032-a726-27dae660a45e&pd_rd_w=Zr3Uh&pd_rd_wg=BKyzB&pf_rd_p=6ba03529-44b7-4c95-95bf-2762b37f6529&pf_rd_r=TX15Z7QD8DYHZSVHKPQ9&psc=1&refRID=TX15Z7QD8DYHZSVHKPQ9

I chose it because the vise was better than others in the price range. It had a materials clip. It was also had a hair stacker. To suppliment the limited materials I added a shoe box full ofstuff. Grandaughter loves it.

4 minutes ago, rich mc said:

mike  you are the winner as you now have someone to tie flies with.  that is a nice kit

+1