ISA Sign Posting 2007- Where?

You are right, Norm.

I just put a fresh one there not that long ago.

Perhaps just plain old diligence among anglers will have to suffice.

Many ISA guys are already fishing there, and the wallet card has the necessary numbers to call.

• 2 months later...

someone put a sign up last week at mack. state ground. i saw it thurs. gone friday. do people think we put these up as collectables???? I wouldn't mind having one in the game room myself, but would be more than willing to PAY for one. GEEEESH!!!

Maybe in these high-loss areas we could post (staple) a laminated paper sign... less costly to replace, but still the word gets out. What do folks think?

-jamie s.

Have any signs been placed by the river walk in Naperville. A lot of people walk along there. The sign would be a good educational tool. Also does the ISA have any signs for fish eating advisories issued by the Illinois Department of Public Health? This would possibly make people think twice about harvesting a fish on the DuPage or Desplaines rivers.

Have any signs been placed by the river walk in Naperville. A lot of people walk along there. The sign would be a good educational tool. Also does the ISA have any signs for fish eating advisories issued by the Illinois Department of Public Health? This would possibly make people think twice about harvesting a fish on the DuPage or Desplaines rivers.

Mike,

It seems that this topic does not want to die. Kevin's idea of ramping up the visibility of these signs by hanging them in downtown Naperville is a good one. It brings back a thought I had a while back. Why should the signs be limited to lake or river access points? Why not display them in other places? Should each of our politicians get one for the office? I would not mind displaying a paper replica in my office and in the rec room at home. How about one for the college dorm room to cover up the "spot" on the wall? Is a bumper sticker possible? T-Shirts? They would stimulate conversation and education, and they would take the discussion to a new audience.

I must confess. I'm sorry guys. I've been stealing them and putting them up here in Indiana. You fellas are just so organized. What's a transplant to the Hoosier state to do? They beat your feet with a stick here if you say anything remotely 'tree huggerish'. I don't think anyone will notice the regs are for Illinois, and the closed season is a win-win.

:)

You fellas are just so organized. What's a transplant to the Hoosier state to do?

It isn't hard.

You come up with the funds to get the signs made and get out there and install them.

OK- I lied about the first part.

The yellow signs came about after the input of many, and we all know that it doesn't always go smoothly.

But when it was all said and done, the signs are up and doing their job.

The white sign beneath them (to report poaching and polluters) was an idea I had sitting at the computer one night around 5 years ago. Some research (Googling), and I found something similar out east with the Riverkeepers organization.

Much of the wording you see on that sign is from theirs.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as the saying goes.

Stick with what works, and they have had a great deal of success with theirs.

Lo and behold, I managed to end up involved with the ISA and approached the leaders at the time with the idea.

More "talk" ensued for some time, and I finally walked up to Scott after a membership meeting and said if the ISA was going to sponsor the signs it would need to be decided soon.

The decision was made- and the signs were done and paid for entirely by the ISA.

The IL DNR gave their blessing to install them without hesitation.

The IN DNR may have a different viewpoint, as I understand them to be.

Use the ISA and IL as a case study.

Can't argue with success.

Bterrill-

That is where your imagination needs to take over.

Make the issue one where there would be no logical reason for them not to allow you to post the signs on state managed property.

Remember one thing and take it to heart.....

The reporting sign idea for IL rivers started because one working stiff had a light bulb go off over his head while sitting at his computer browsing fishing websites, reading posts by people bitching about the state of their waters.

This can be anyone, anywhere.

All it takes is enough passion to see it through.

Are you going to be that guy for Indiana?

Mike G-

Bumper stickers and T-shirts, huh?

I can do one better...

Wait till you see what's in store for the state of conservation in Illinois next.

Imagination is a wonderful tool.

The only ingredient missing is hard work- that's what brings it all together.

What about private land owners? Has anyone talked to them about posting in commonly fished areas? Or is this strictly a public land deal?

What is the price point for having these made? Just a ball park. PM me if you don't want to say so in public. I've tried pushing the idea before.

Tried lock tight bolts , the signpost and all disappeared . In most of the cases where the signs are gone the post also disappeared . I put up close to fifty of the big yellow signs for the IDNR by myself with the smallie and walleye regs on them , about 30 are left .

First, That's what you get for living in Indiana.

Second: IDNR paid for first batch a lot of years ago, ISA paid for second and third batches.

Third: Can't remember a price but someone will post that.

Fourth: ISA paid for posts but that was minimal. Got the green ones at Home Depot

Fifth: The signs have been really good PR for us over the years. Many anglers we see at sport shows say : Oh yea, I saw those along the river"

Sixth: A whole lot of them stayed up in more "civilized" parts of the country.