ISA Sign Posting 2007- Where?

I'm looking to burn up the signs we have laying around that need to be out among our local waterways- where they belong.

A special weekend or "sign posting month" will be designated to get this done.

So I'll pose the question:

Where do you guys feel these signs will do the most good in educating other anglers to the smallmouth regulations, as well as the numbers to call for reporting poaching, littering and pollution?

We're all fishing so many different flows, it stands to reason our members would know best which ones need help the most.

Thanks for your input!

isasign.jpg

Mike, are there any guidelines as to where you have posted signs in the past? Public, private accesses?

I have seen them in the central region at public accesses but I dont recall seeing any at rural bridges that we frequent.

The guidelines we have been following are simply what was told to me by the IDNR when I was researching the "where" part of installing the reporting signs along the rivers.

The ISA crew that originally installed the yellow signs and posts may have had different ideas or parameters.

Their short answer was... "What's the problem? Just attach them to the posts and stick them in the ground."

This of course was in relation to property managed by the IDNR specifically.

As for bridges, it is commonly known as such:

The river, if navigable for title purposes, is public land up to the ordinary high water mark, and the highway is public out to the edge of its right-of-way. Usually there is enough space to legally park next to the highway near the bridge. But the adjacent landowner may build an impassable fence up to the bridge abutments and post "No Trespassing" signs on the fence, so people can't get from the highway down to the river. This is unlawful; there is a right of passage from the highway to the river. Courts have ruled that when one public route meets or crosses another, there is a right to proceed between the two.

If memory serves, IDOT will no longer be charged with maintaining bridges after 2007, due to budget constraints, and counties/municipalities will need to continue from there.....but I'm not positive about this.

It was our decision initially to place them at access and parking areas so as not to take away the natural beauty of the river environment.

If I wanted to hammer home the message of the signs, I would place them at places like the mouth of Rock Creek and the Warner Bridge locations (on the K3) where anglers step into the water. Not exactly aesthetically pleasing to people enjoying their outdoors experience.

The theory we prescribed to was that the anglers will arrive in and eventually make their way back to their vehicles, and the signs will be there for them.

Don't let me stop you if you have better ideas.

As I stated above, you guys know best where they would get the most mileage.

All I can offer are "guidelines".

I think areas that get fished heavily should be clearly posted. I know the Montgomery area on the Fox can use several...the parking areas should be targeted...maybe one on littering too!

I'd like to post some right in the middle of some "buckethead" spots.

East side of the Cville dam (Fox) is another area. There's also an island near me with easy access (old RR bridge) maybe one or two at the access point there. I've seen some trails that lead quite a ways into the woods and end at a few well used fishing holes...how about in there?

How about a sign that reads: "Clean up your garbage, you bums!" in english, spanish, and polish.

Seriously, wherever it's legal to post them, I'll put them

Rock River, in the QCities area. Particularly, the Iron Dam area. I was there last weekend, and a guy was attempting to string a smallie. I asked him if he knew it was illegal to do that. He made some comment like, "I'm just going to put it in my aquarium". I said, "It doesn't matter. The Law says...All smallmouth caught between April 1, and June 15th, must be released immediately." He then asked me if I was a game warden. I said, "No, but I have the number on speed dial." He was obviously angry, but threw it back(after debating the idea for a couple of minutes), and left. He was bound, and determined to take that fish...whatever the cost!! After he was convinced that I would call the law on him, he threw it back...but he didn't like it!! No signs there...

Rock River, in the QCities area. Particularly, the Iron Dam area. I was there last weekend, and a guy was attempting to string a smallie. I asked him if he knew it was illegal to do that. He made some comment like, "I'm just going to put it in my aquarium". I said, "It doesn't matter. The Law says...All smallmouth caught between April 1, and June 15th, must be released immediately." He then asked me if I was a game warden. I said, "No, but I have the number on speed dial." He was obviously angry, but threw it back(after debating the idea for a couple of minutes), and left. He was bound, and determined to take that fish...whatever the cost!! After he was convinced that I would call the law on him, he threw it back...but he didn't like it!! No signs there...

Greg,

Congratulations on your encounter! It's not always easy to do but it needs to be done and you did the right thing. Keep up the great work! We all should look at your example and use it for inspiration.

Jim

The Kish could certainly use some. Lots of Forest Preserves with lots of traffic. I'll check a bunch of parks this weekend and get an idea of how many signs I would need. Tomorrow I'll call the County Forest Preserve office and make sure they have no problem with it. Is there a limited number available?

Great idea! being in Indiana, I have naturally not seen these signs.

Couple of questions...

Are smallie regulations listed on the tan sign above?

Do you worry about attracting undue attention to streams that don't get fished? I guess the sign is vague enough.

Steps taken to prevent sign vandilization? Flexible vinyl etc...

What about non- navigable streams? Ask landowner?

Excellent job! congrats.

Great idea! being in Indiana, I have naturally not seen these signs.

Couple of questions...

Are smallie regulations listed on the tan sign above?

Do you worry about attracting undue attention to streams that don't get fished? I guess the sign is vague enough.

Steps taken to prevent sign vandilization? Flexible vinyl etc...

What about non- navigable streams? Ask landowner?

Excellent job! congrats.

Yes, the smallie regs are listed on the yellow sign.

I can't seem to find a photo of this one- anyone?

As for undue attention, that is why we primarily post them at parking lots and access areas.

Vandals will deface and destroy anything.

Not much we can do about it.

We just replaced one in early spring at Rock Creek on the K3. The signs are on a huge wooden post 3 feet in the ground. Someone managed to rip it outta there.

Putting them on private property doesn't really accomplish much, IMHO....but if someone feels a spot must have one, make your deals.

Jim Kast,

They did some work at Ring Rd and the west branch and our sign there is gone. The park at Washington and Ring rd.

It was one of the originals and was pretty beat.

Also, upstream is a new canoe launch that's almost ready to open. We could probably use one there also.

Hi Mike, the signs I picked up from Rich weren't like the ones posted above...it doesn't have "all smallies caught between April 1 and June 15 must be released. I also only got one white sign...are there more anywhere? Should I just use the signs I have?

Jim

Guest rich mc

jim b, these signs were original ones before the law took effect. stickers were made to be attached stating the new law. if we have new signs made they would be as scott designed.new stickers could be made for the old signs that are up. rich

Area#7 parking lot on the 3K- yellow sign has been torn down.

Area#7 parking lot on the 3K- yellow sign has been torn down.

Those signs were mounted with lags, so torn down is about the only way to get them off. The white sign is still intact.

Yeah, Jim.

We can put our stickers on the old yellow ones.

Not sure who has them.

I have around 20 +- white signs.

Other officers should have more.

I will work up a plan for the rest of these to get installed soon.

(trying to shake off the sedation of a small surgical procedure from this afternoon, I'll get up to speed on all this later.)

Forget about area 7 , that spot has had more signs than I care to think about . There seem to be persons or person that just flat out doesn't want a sign there. I know I put 3 signs there myself and I think Mark K and prolly Jonn both put signs there over the years .

I was down in the Plainfeild area yesterday. The canoe launch on 135th street dosen't have a white sign, the yellow is still there.

Im not down there very often so somebody from that area might take a look along that stretch and see what it needs.