Soft Science Terrafin wet wade/hiking boot update

John Gillio

I wore my Soft Science wet wade boots for the 1st time yesterday. Here is the rundown for a couple hours fishing a  sand/gravel and sometimes quite rocky stream bed:

The boots are extremely lite wt and comfortable. I wore a pair of neoprene socks with them. They are relatively wide providing ample room but your feet don't slide around in them because the inner sole is somewhat tacky. The sole provides good protection for walking on rocks. I was very impressed with this. The outer soles also gripped the rocks much better than I thought they would. The shoe can be tied tightly above the ankle to keep out sand and gravel. The shoe does not have a belowed tongue however, so a small amount of sand snuck through at the tongue. This was not a problem with the neoprene socks which helped protect against abrasive sand. The shoe seems to be built well for being so light wt. Hopefully they will last me a while.

On 5/25/2019 at 8:19 AM, John Gillio said:

Don't  be afraid to post your thoughts on them here. I'd like to here what you think.

They are the lightest most comfortable wading shoe for moderate terrain I’ve ever tried. Perfect for Hiking long a distance to a good spot, float tube or to wear while kayaking.  good grip and feel great on your feet, but if your fishing areas with a lot of chunk rock/rip rap they don’t have any side protection so that’s really the only case I’d go with a traditional boot over these. I really enjoy how comfortable they are. They are well worth  buying in my opinion. Don’t know how much life you’ll get out of them because I just got them a few months ago. 

1 hour ago, Joe R said:

I just tossed a pair of my wading boots in garbage yesterday falling apart not fixable. How is the sizing on these boots just right or size up or down?

From my experience: I wear a size 9 and ordered a 9. It is roomy enough to wear comfortabley with a pair of Cabela's neoprene socks.

• 2 weeks later...

I sized up bought a 11 instead of 10. Used them for first time this evening not very good in mud but I'm going to love them for the right scenarios since super  light and comfy and will be good for hot weather.  They will dry very quickly.

• 1 year later...

I've used these shoes a number of times now. Tightening the laces and wearing neoprene socks keeps the sand to a minimum even though the tongue is not bellowed. They are holding up well so far. I do agree with John about protection against chunks of rock above the sole. Not much there. Not good on algae covered rock either. Still, a comfy shoe. I see that Orvis has come out with their Pro series wet wade shoe. Looking at it's reviews, it could be fairly good option too. Grip may be better, sounds like neoprene socks are a must to keep debris out, lightweight.