Inexpensive Tenkara

John Gillio

This may be of interest to those wanting to try a Tenkara rod but don't  want to spend a bunch on something they may or may not enjoy. A friend of mine ordered what looks to be a nice  12' Maxcatch Tenkara rod, rod case, line,  flies,  and fly case for about 70 dollars with free shipping  on Aliexpress.com. He also ordered another 12' rod for 12 dollars which he gave to me. It came with an extra tip section. It does not have a cork grip like the Maxcatch rod but not bad for 12 and free shipping. They both took a few weeks to arrive in the mail. Neither has been put to the test yet, but claim to be able to handle fish up to 22" or so, which is also the length of my rod when folded down. The Matchcatch folds down to 20". Here are a few shots of the rod he gave me.

20190503_211153.thumb.jpg.eafea565a26203aa5e2cdb4329609b44.jpg

20190503_210739.thumb.jpg.585faf5f8a2b779056407a647015ddb4.jpg

Yesterday I had a good time with Crappie o n that "cork" handle custom tenkara I wrote about. I used a 1" Chart Tube 3-4 ft under a ice fishing float ti detect the light bites. Tenkara purists might not like this.

I will be interested to hear how you do. My experience is that the flies fish shallower so that when the fish are surface or shallow minded you are on. I use bead heads, jig flies, and if course tubes when they won't come up. 

BTW what kind of line are you using?

high, yes. Muddy, no. It is crystal clear. Someone said it has not been this clear ever. This year there is a big problem with dark green gunky algae clumps floating and suspended in the water. On the windward side it can form mats extending 10+ ft from shore. It fouls lures and line quickly. Does Shab have that problem? Residents are going to want to spray it if it keeps up.

I spent some time this morning at a little local pond with the tenkara rod. I fished the tenkara style flies as well as some regular wets and pull chain head marribou bluegill flies. All fished well. I was able to work around the algae patches that are quickly taking over the shore line, landing a good number of 6-7" gills, some 8" black crappie, and a 9" largemouth. This tenkara thing is fun but I'm needing to find some running water that is low and clear enough to wade. I spent the afternoon driving around in search of such a thing and was surprised to find one that fits the bill. Now I hope I can find time to fish it before a rain messes it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks John. So far this year I am happy with the the Amnesia and Hi Vis Flouro lines of which i sent you samples. I get them to straighten out by really hauling on them before the first cast as I try to do with all my fly lines any way. I do not have 2-3 wts in my arsenal; so I am not sure where I would get an old line.  But I will take donations.  

I do have a 3 wt. As much as I use it, the line will last forever. Not that I don't enjoy it. It is a favorite setup that just doesn't get used enough. It sounds like a size 2 wt iworks best . I'll be keeping my eyes open for an old one too. It would be interesting to see how it compares to the others. If I find something I'll send you some.